INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there an app for Android or Windows phone that shows metadata tags?  (Read 4178 times)

lesacre1913

I have a extensive classical music collection.   I have the standard tags, but also Composer, Conductor, Orchestra, Lyricist, Language, Country, etc.    I would like a playback app (for Windows Phone or Android) that will show all of this information.   All I've found are apps that show basic Artist, Album, Track, Genre.     I don't want/need an tag editor,  I just want an app that plays my music and shows all of this detailed metadata tags.

Please HELP.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is there an app for Android or Windows phone that shows metadata tags?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2016, 10:56:22 am »

So you are NOT looking for an app to control JRiver, like JRemote or Gizmo?  You're looking for a stand alone music player that accesses more tags?

I've demoed something like 15 to 20 different android players and they run a wide range of looks and feels.  I wasn't looking for extended attributes when I did my demos.  I guess I'd suggest that you try a few and see what you find.  Some people really like PowerAmp; I think it's awful.  I like Rocket Player.  There are many more to choose from.

Brian.

Losseck

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 07:44:51 am »

"I've demoed something like 15 to 20 different android players and they run a wide range of looks and feels." 

Hey Brian , Can I quiz you as you seem knowledgeable on this topic? Is there an Android app that will record changes in the "rating" of a file played on android (added to the device by the handheld sync option in MC) , to be updated on sync to the "rating" field held in MC library. 

I used powerAmp with "update stats" on sync ticked but no luck.  Many thanks

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 08:20:12 am »

Hey Brian , Can I quiz you as you seem knowledgeable on this topic? Is there an Android app that will record changes in the "rating" of a file played on android (added to the device by the handheld sync option in MC) , to be updated on sync to the "rating" field held in MC library.

I'm relatively certain that MC has NO ABILITY to sync changes from Handhelds into MC's main library.  I know what you're describing; ipods support the syncing of ratings and play counts both directions.  MC doesn't do this; presumably because the logic involved is pretty weird and isn't exactly "logical".  :)

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 08:54:28 am »

I don't think that's correct.  See the wiki for information on this.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 10:06:23 am »

What I was trying to say was this.  MC doesn't support syncing from Handheld *to* MC with Ratings, Play Counts, or anything thing else.  It's only one way.  Metadata is not read from Handhelds into MC's library.  The only thing the handheld is queried for is what files are or are not already on the handheld and what their dates are.  (The date handling is optional)

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 11:45:09 am »

What I was trying to say was this.  MC doesn't support syncing from Handheld *to* MC with Ratings, Play Counts, or anything thing else.  It's only one way.  Metadata is not read from Handhelds into MC's library.  The only thing the handheld is queried for is what files are or are not already on the handheld and what their dates are.  (The date handling is optional)

Brian.
I believe it can sync some tags from the handheld back to the computer.  This was frequently requested a few years ago and I believe it was added.

Al ex

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 03:43:11 pm »

I believe it can sync some tags from the handheld back to the computer.  This was frequently requested a few years ago and I believe it was added.
Updating ratings via jremote or Gizmo works - I am doing this with movies, I am watching.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 03:47:24 pm »

^ We are talking about Handheld Sync targets.  That's pretty different than JRemote.

Jim:  I'm not aware of this functionality, but of course there are many things I don't know.  Do you have a reference to these features?

Brian.

Losseck

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2016, 06:41:47 pm »

I have now tried quite a few Android Apps to play the files on my Android that were synchronized across using MC Handheld Sync and a set Playlist. It is a great feature to load a phone through sync and play in the car for example. However none of the changes, my particular interest was the RATINGS feature as I rate all music to tailor playlists, could then propagate those changes back to the JRiver library on re-synch.

I think Brian may be correct on this one
Pages: [1]   Go Up