INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sorting problem I can't figure out  (Read 4349 times)

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
sorting problem I can't figure out
« on: September 07, 2016, 07:43:45 pm »

I'm having some issues with tracks not sorting the way they should. This is a new issue I just noticed, it was not happening before.

When I select an artist from the Artists view, the tracks sort just fine:

However, if I double click on the Artist group, the tracks stop sorting correctly:

This **only** happens with tracks where I have split "hidden" CD tracks into two independent files so I can shuffle without hearing both the last album track and the hidden song together. It's happening on every single instance of a split track. (The method I used to split them, in case it matters... I used the Playback Range feature to only play back the postion of the track I wanted, then used the Convert feature to convert lossless flac to lossless flac, this trimmed away anything outside of the Playback Range, and now I have a standalone lossless flac of each track). I then use the Move Files feature to move all of the tracks into the same folder and rename them with their proper track numbers 1-01, 1-02, etc.

I double checked and the "Sort Inside Groups by" is set to Default for both views.

Any ideas?

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
Re: sorting problem I can't figure out
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 08:15:30 am »

Okay, now it's just being silly, I have no explanation for what's triggering this. This album was ripped and imported all at once, I did no editing to the files themselves (other than metadata). They are all marked disc 1 of 1. I'm seeing this on more and more albums now, all after the latest update from yesterday.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 08:21:54 am »

I can think of two things you should check right off the bat:

1.  Check the [Disc #] tag on the files in question.2
2.  Check the Group By setting for this view.  Not "sort inside groups".  Group by.  Check in the lower window, not the upper window.

Brian.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 08:37:56 am »

Hi Brian, thanks, had already checked both of those and that's why this is so confusing. Everything appears to be set correctly, but obviously something is triggering this, just can't figure out what. These are all set to Disc #1:

"Group by" is set to a custom script to use the "Year Sort" field so I can sort my album chronologically instead of alphabetically. I found the script here on the forum a while ago, and it's worked perfectly for the last few versions of MC for me. Here's the script if anyone might see a problem there (though again, it's always been fine)...

<font size="10" alpha="0" color="ffffff">FirstNotEmpty([Artist Sort])<//font>Delimit([Year Sort], /]/ , /[)[Album]Delimit([Album Artist],,/ by/ )

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2016, 08:50:08 am »

First, set your Group By to just Album and see if that works.  If it does, then clearly it's the custom sort you are using.  We'd need to see the contents of Artist Sort and Year Sort in order to figure it out.

I suspect that Album Artist and/or Album Artist (auto) are involved.  So you might check those fields too.

Brian.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2016, 10:00:49 am »

Group by Artist didn't change anything, here it is grouped by artist, with the Artist Sort and Year Sort fields visible (these are the two custom fields I use to sort albums properly)

Here is the code for the custom sorting:

And here is the screen for the custom fields (Artist Sort) and (Year Sort) [the screens are the same for both except the title so I'm only including it once]

I'd also be happy to provide my library file to anyone who wanted to dig in there.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 06:00:48 pm »

I think you're probably setting the wrong "group by" in the wrong menu. 

Look in the lower pane.  See the header that says "all files"?  Use the menu there to set your Group By to Album (not Artist) and see what happens.

Brian.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2016, 06:30:40 am »

I'll mention this here as although the scenarios are a bit different, it just might be useful...

I just solved an image sorting issue, where despite being set to sort images 'oldest first', no matter what I was doing, one photo in the list was not in the right place in the list.

I tried many things. FX, changing the sort to 'newest first' put the offending photo in the right place. Switching back to oldest first, and it was back in the wrong place.

Solution for me?
Close MC, and server if that is also running (mine always is).
Browse to the MC library folder.
Enter the cache directory found there.
Enter the "File List Sort" directory.
Delete all files found there (I had an index.dat plus a load of cache (x).dat files). It's a cache right? What harm can it do, and I have backups anyway.
Restart MC... problem was solved.

-marko

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 11:33:23 am »

I fixed it by forcing the view to sort by track numbers after sorting by my custom artist/album sorting...

Not sure what changed in the latest version of MC 22 because I have never had this issue before, but whatevs, it's fixed now and because of the forced sorting it should never break again in the future. :)

(not sure why the photo link isn't working, I see it on photobucket but it won't embed)

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 02:38:48 pm »

One more thought:

I recently had a custom sorting field stop working in a very strange way.  This was a custom sorting field I had been using for many months.  When I upgraded to MC22, it stopped sorting correctly.  Re-opening MC21, it worked again. 

I finally determined that the field had gotten messed up somehow in the MC22 database.  So I recreated the field with a different name and it worked perfectly again.  Deleting the field, and adding it back with the original name, it still failed to sort correctly.  But with a different name, it worked as expected.

So maybe that's worth a shot:  Recreate your custom sort fields with new names.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up