INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drives and devices (linux board)  (Read 3042 times)

corynhague

• Recent member
Drives and devices (linux board)
« on: September 08, 2016, 08:37:35 am »

I am trying to switch from windows to linux and notice that whereas the windows version allows one to connect to an external drive, the linux version doesn't. It would be particularly useful when using a relatively small UBUNTU partition.
A work around anyone ?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Drives and devices (linux board)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 09:29:14 am »

You can definitely mount an external drive.  Is it a USB drive?  Try a search.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 09:44:43 am »

You may need to manually add the device in the Handheld options if you want to manage it under "Drives and Devices."

Ekpen

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2016, 12:23:21 pm »

I am trying to switch from windows to linux and notice that whereas the windows version allows one to connect to an external drive, the linux version doesn't. It would be particularly useful when using a relatively small UBUNTU partition.
A work around anyone ?

During my brief install of Ubuntu 15.10, I was able to mount  4 external RAID boxes (Mediasonic) and a few other non RAID boxes with no problem
George

corynhague

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 12:58:27 pm »

You may need to manually add the device in the Handheld options if you want to manage it under "Drives and Devices."

Thanks for the hint!
Tools-options-handhelds-add device (choose a name for "my device") and browse to see eg a connected usb stick! It then appears in the device menu. Ubuntu 16.04.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 05:56:15 pm »

Handheld sync is not intended as a browsing function.  Handheld sync is for removabe drives or devices that you use elsewhere.

Browsing via drives and devices is a "windows thing".  It doesn't work on any other platform.  Is there a reason that you aren't simply importing your external drives via the Import function?  That's how MC is intended to be used.

If you're a "files view" guy, you can make files views in the regular Audio tree on the left that let you drill down directory by directory.

Brian.

corynhague

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 11:06:26 am »

Handheld sync is not intended as a browsing function.  Handheld sync is for removabe drives or devices that you use elsewhere.

Browsing via drives and devices is a "windows thing".  It doesn't work on any other platform.  Is there a reason that you aren't simply importing your external drives via the Import function?  That's how MC is intended to be used.

If you're a "files view" guy, you can make files views in the regular Audio tree on the left that let you drill down directory by directory.

Brian.

Right thanks I have a lot to learn. I had interpreted import as meaning transfer to library on PC HD. The term handheld was unexpected for what I was trying to do but then I actually do want to carry music between two different PC's.  I will continue to investigate until I better understand what I am doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up