INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Detect Mono Source and Play as Stereo  (Read 3362 times)

Guybrush

• World Citizen
Detect Mono Source and Play as Stereo
« on: September 09, 2016, 02:27:39 pm »

My kids watch a lot of cartoons on DVD like Rescue Rangers and Duck Tales, etc... Ok, I watch them, too. Anyway, some of these high quality productions are recorded in mono sound, which only plays out of the center channel. I would like them to play out of L/R as well. I know I can force this with parametric equalizer but I don't want a special zone for it. I just want it to detect a mono source and play it out of L/C/R. Is that possible?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Detect Mono Source and Play as Stereo
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 03:38:16 pm »

Zone Switch can probably be set to do it automatically.  The wiki has a topic.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 03:45:51 pm »

Your AVR might have a surround mode engaged like Dolby Pro Logic II or similar.

Does MC see these as a one channel sound source, or as 2 channels?  Look at Player > Audio Path.

Also, how do you have DSP Studio > Output format set up?  In particular in the channels area, you have the option to upmix or not, plus some other options there.

Brian.

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 07:08:57 pm »

Your AVR might have a surround mode engaged like Dolby Pro Logic II or similar.

Does MC see these as a one channel sound source, or as 2 channels?  Look at Player > Audio Path.

Also, how do you have DSP Studio > Output format set up?  In particular in the channels area, you have the option to upmix or not, plus some other options there.

Brian.

So, I don't have an AVR - the PC does that job. I looked at audio path and it says 2ch from source (despite the box set saying mono) and it also says 2ch convert to 6ch. That looks right, but sound only comes out of the center channel. Surround sound recordings correctly play on all channels. Any thoughts?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 07:18:43 pm »

Are you saying you have no preamp of any kind?  Your PC drives power amplifiers directly?

If not, what is signal chain from PC to speakers?  I suspect something is processing 2 channel into C only.

Brian.

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 01:50:51 am »

Yes, my PC drives a power amp directly; nothing in between. And I use JRiver for all local music/movie content, and run everything else like Netflix and Steam through the WDM driver. So MC is the only thing doing any processing.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2016, 11:02:21 am »

Hmm.  I'm guessing here.  Maybe JRSS mixing is converting 2 ch to one channel (C). But that would be an odd choice for JRSS to make, unless is is somehow detecting that the signal is mono.

As a test, you can turn off JRSS mixing and see if it becomes 2 channel again.  It's in the output format section of the DSP studio, over on the far right hand side.  While you're there, you might check your number of channels too and make sure the channels is set to your actual number of speakers in your system.

Brian.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up