INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC21 and Wake on LAN  (Read 3400 times)

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
  • These are not the droids you're looking for.
MC21 and Wake on LAN
« on: September 09, 2016, 09:17:37 pm »

Hi,

I'm running MC21 as a server on my HTPC, and as a client on my main desktop PC. I have MC set to load the HTPC's library at startup. When both PCs are up and running, the client can always connect to the server when I launch Media Center on the client.

However, I want to be able to put the HTPC to sleep, then have it wake up when I launch MC on the client. I have Wake on LAN enabled in the HTPC BIOS, all the Wake on LAN options are enabled in the network adapter (including allow only magic packets to wake the computer). I can use a third-party Wake on LAN utility to wake up the HTPC, and it wakes up almost instantly.

But when I launch the MC client while the HTPC is sleeping, it does not seem to send any WoL magic packet. The HTPC will not wake, and MC says it cannot load the remote library.
The HTPC will not wake no matter how many times I click "Retry". It will only reconnect once I have woken the HTPC via other means.

I have my firewalls on both PCs set to always allow connections for Media Center on all ports (otherwise, remote access wouldn't work at all).

What am I doing wrong here?

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC21 and Wake on LAN
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2016, 09:51:59 pm »

As far as I know, you're doing nothing wrong. I ran into the same problem and decided I would just press the power button on the NUC to wake it up.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 02:42:57 pm »

Can you WOL using other tools or methods? It's likely that your router isn't broadcasting the magic packet correctly.

terrym@tassie

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 04:00:44 pm »

A couple of things you could check are:
Make sure you are connecting the client to the server library using the access key method not directly using IPaddress:52199.
When you use the access key, the JRiver server attempts to wake your server system via the internet so you need to have port 9 open on your router or the WOL packet will not be received.
Test this by using a website that sends WOL such as https://www.depicus.com/wake-on-lan/woli.

Terry
" I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." -Jerome K. Jerome

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 10:01:13 am »

Old thread, but I'm experiencing the same thing.

Oddly enough, WoL works fine with my phone using Gizmo on Android, but opening MC21 on windows 10 fails to wake my server at home.

This all used to work, but it seems something changed.

Any ideas?
Pages: [1]   Go Up