INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server versus Media Renderer  (Read 3231 times)

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
Media Server versus Media Renderer
« on: September 10, 2016, 01:35:07 am »

I'm afraid I don't know the difference.  Under Playing Now>Overview>Player I see my device listed as Media Renderer and this is typically what I have selected for playback.  Below that under Playing From Main Library>Main Library I see my device listed as a Media Server.  If I select that I have a screen that shows Add A New Library but also warns that doing so will unload the current library.  Because I don't understand this I have been hesitant to try it.

What is the difference between Media Renderer and Media Server?  Is there a functionality or other advantage in using one of the other?
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Server versus Media Renderer
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 03:33:22 pm »

You've said "my device". Is this a network media player/server box of some sort?  I'm guessing yes based on you description.  Here's what the terms mean:

Media Renderer:  This is a device that can play audio, video, or both, over the network.  MC can "push" audio or video to renderers. I think that's what you're doing now.

Media Server:  This is a device that stores audio and/or video.  You can use DLNA software to talk to media servers and get media from them to play.  MC itself is a media server.  You're using MC as a Media Server in the normal way of "pushing" media from MC to your playback device.

You would only want to use "your device" as a Media Server if you had media stored on the device and wanted to access it from MC.  Otherwise, I'd just ignore it.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up