INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Import didn't catch all the files.  (Read 4388 times)

jdieter

• Recent member
Import didn't catch all the files.
« on: September 10, 2016, 11:37:41 am »

I transferred several GB of audio files to the auto-import directory and out of the 55 folders full of music, 8 folders are not in the artist drop down under Audio - Artist - (Multiple Artist). I can search for the missing folders and they show up in the display pane and they play.  If it helps these files are Billboards Top 100 Hits so each folder has 100 files. I checked the file name lengths and that is not an issue, nothing is over 90 characters. I compared the file structure between the missing folders and those that imported and there is nothing amiss there. I've tried to import a single folder and that doesn't work and I tried letting a folder play all 100 files as I have "import on play selected" and that didn't work either. I can clear the library and run import again but with 550GB in 10k of folders it takes a little time and after seeing the missing files in this import I've got no idea if I've gotten everything in previous imports.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Import didn't catch all the files.
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 01:35:15 pm »

I transferred several GB of audio files to the auto-import directory and out of the 55 folders full of music, 8 folders are not in the artist drop down under Audio - Artist - (Multiple Artist). I can search for the missing folders and they show up in the display pane and they play.

The good news is, if you search in one of the Audio views and you can find them, then they *are* imported.  They just aren't where you are expecting them to be. 

I would look in the albums view and see if you can see them there.  I would guess that would work.  You will probably need to assign an [Album Artist] for these albums in order for them to appear under Multiple Artists.

See this article for an explanation:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)

Brian.

jdieter

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 04:38:19 pm »

tried assigning an album artist and no change, gonna clear the library and try import

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 05:40:26 pm »

I predict that a re-import isn't going to fix your issue.  If it does not fix your issue, please post a screen shot of one of your problem albums showing the various tags (open the tagging pane on the left with Edit > Tag).  Please explain what you'd like to see, versus what you do see.

Good luck.

Brian.

jdieter

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 09:03:36 pm »

Yep you are right, no change after the import finished. I inspected the import report after it completed and the files that do no appear in the "Multiple Artist" dropdown listing did import. I've attached a snip of one of the tags from a file in one the 8 folders that doesn't appear in the "Multiple Artist"  section. The only reason I even caught this issue was when opening the "Multiple Artist" option the Billboard Top 100 Hits (year) are listed sequentially by year and there were some years missing in the sequence. You also correct in that putting a value in the "Album Artist" field does cause that particular year to appear but of course not in the "Multiple Artist" section which is where I would like these files grouped.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2016, 10:10:51 am »

For the songs (albums) you want to appear in the Multiple Artists section of the Artists view, you need to set the [Album Artist] tag.  Set it to exactly this string:

Code: [Select]
(Multiple Artists)
That should do it. 

Brian.

jdieter

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 10:16:23 am »

For the songs (albums) you want to appear in the Multiple Artists section of the Artists view, you need to set the [Album Artist] tag.  Set it to exactly this string:

Code: [Select]
(Multiple Artists)
That should do it. 

Brian.

Excellent that fixed the missing files, Thank You So Much    I have a ton of music in a separate library for albums with multiple artists, i.e. Woodstock, for one example. I need to go through that library and edit the tags for (Multiple Artist) is there a way, maybe a query, to do this versus opening each file one at a time? Once I get that library right I can move the files into my primary library and have all the audio in one place. I use one pc as the residence for all my music on my home network and MC to access from all the pc's on my lan as well as smart phones. One library with all the music would end the need to start a remote desktop program to switch libraries at the music computer (it's in a detached building from the house).

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2016, 10:19:59 am »

I have a ton of music in a separate library for albums with multiple artists, i.e. Woodstock, for one example. I need to go through that library and edit the tags for (Multiple Artist) is there a way, maybe a query, to do this versus opening each file one at a time?

When you say Library, do you mean a directory on disk?  Or a true separate MC library?  Are the files imported into MC?

Once they are imported into MC, if you can identify the with a directory path, or some other attribute, you can easily just search for that attribute to find them.  Then highlight them all, open the tagging window, and set the [Album Artist] field on all of them in one shot.  It's one of the great things about MC:  Editing tags on thousands or tens of thousands of files at once is just as easy as one file!  :)

If you need any more guidance, just ask.

Brian.

jdieter

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 11:20:05 am »

It's both they are in a separate windows directory and a different MC library than the bulk of my music.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 11:21:59 am »

So, I would just import those files into your main library and note the folder on disk.  Then, once they are imported, you can do a search for that folder name, assuming it's somewhat unique.

Or you can go to Audio > Files, and then drill down into that directory.  Either way, the idea is to select *just* the files in that directory.  Once they are selected, open the tagging window and then edit the [Album Artist] tag.  It will change all of them at once.  Done!  :)

Brian.

jdieter

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 01:32:06 pm »

Thanks for the help, selected all the files I wanted to change and applied the tag edits. After MC churns through all that I'll move those file in the windows directory to the main directory that is set for auto-import. MC has been grinding for a couple hours and still 9K files to go
Pages: [1]   Go Up