INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Globally changing source drive  (Read 6030 times)

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Globally changing source drive
« on: September 11, 2016, 10:19:06 am »

Installed a larger HDD in my music server after copying all music files to new drive and changing its name from D:\ to Frank's Music Library (Z:)\

I tried doing 2 "Find and Replace" commands:

1) D:\   to   Frank's Music Library (Z:)\

and

2) D:\   to   Z:\

Result was that only several of the albums in my "Recent Albums" show the change from D:\ to Z:\

How do I get MC to make this a global change for all files in my music library?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Globally changing source drive
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 11:05:18 am »

I would restore a backup of your library to bring it back to having all files starting with d:\ .

Then, select all files, and use the Rename Move and Copy files tool to change D:\ to Z:\ .  As you said, Find and Replace is the right part of RM&C to use for this job.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files#Find_.26_Replace

Is it possible that some of your files do not start with D: ?  You might look in the Audio > Files view and then drill through the Locations pane to make sure all of your files are on the D: drive and not elsewhere.

Brian.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:42:37 am »

I would restore a backup of your library to bring it back to having all files starting with d:\ .

Then, select all files, and use the Rename Move and Copy files tool to change D:\ to Z:\ .  As you said, Find and Replace is the right part of RM&C to use for this job.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files#Find_.26_Replace

Is it possible that some of your files do not start with D: ?  You might look in the Audio > Files view and then drill through the Locations pane to make sure all of your files are on the D: drive and not elsewhere.

Brian.

Thanks, Brian.

I tried Library Restore with 2 previous restore files.  In both cases what I have now is 3 albums showing with artwork BUT still showing Z:\, not D:\ which must have been added after the HDD was changed.  I deleted these to avoid confusion.

A random check of albums shows that filenames are in the original D:\ drive BUT artwork for all but a few albums is not showing...only blue notes.  Where is the artwork associated with the albums stored?

How do I "select all files" in the MC library?

EDIT: FIGURED OUT how to select all files.  Replaced all D:\ with Z:\.  Now MC can find play files but cannot find cover art which is unmoved and in C:\.  Interestingly, if I open ALBUM view, about 50% of cover art shows whereas in RECENT ALBUM view, only a handful of 100's of albums show?!

ALSO, Getting popup saying "Audio file location cannot be read only".  Do not recall changing anything like this?!

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 02:31:14 pm »

Interestingly, if I open ALBUM view, about 50% of cover art shows whereas in RECENT ALBUM view, only a handful of 100's of albums show?!

Not sure if MC can't find the album art work, or if it just needs thumbnails rebuilt.  It's probably worth rebuilding thumbnails:

Tools > Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails > build missing thumbnails

ALSO, Getting popup saying "Audio file location cannot be read only".  Do not recall changing anything like this?!

Sounds like maybe the drive or folder that you moved everything to might have some permissions or ownership issues.  If this drive was formatted on another system and had directories on it that came from another, these directories are probably owned by the user of the other system.  We see this from time to time; mostly when people move a drive from one computer to another.  If these cases you have to 'take ownership' of the drive or directories.  You can find tutorials on how to do this with a google search.

Without more information, that's my best guess.

Good luck.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 04:03:57 pm »

Not sure if MC can't find the album art work, or if it just needs thumbnails rebuilt.  It's probably worth rebuilding thumbnails:

Tools > Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails > build missing thumbnails

I rebuilt the missing thumbnails, closed MC, and reopened.
ALBUMS as before with about 50% of artwork.
RECENT ALBUMS as before with almost no artwork.

Under OPTIONS > COVER ART, the folder path is indicated as C:\Users\Frank\AppData\Roaming\J River\ Media Center 20\
Cover Art\
I cannot find this path!
Under FRANK, I do not find AppData...?!
Under OS (C:), I find PROGRAM FILES\J RIVER\MEDIA CENTER 20, but no APPDATA or COVER ART...?!

Sounds like maybe the drive or folder that you moved everything to might have some permissions or ownership issues.  If this drive was formatted on another system and had directories on it that came from another, these directories are probably owned by the user of the other system.  We see this from time to time; mostly when people move a drive from one computer to another.  If these cases you have to 'take ownership' of the drive or directories.  You can find tutorials on how to do this with a google search.

The HDD was brand new in box, named Frank's Music Library (Z:) but not partitioned, etc..  All the original folders seem to be as they were in the original HDD.

Without more information, that's my best guess.

What else do you need?

Good luck.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 09:01:59 am »

Another interesting observation...

When I first opened MC yesterday to listen the cover art was mostly missing as reported.  However, a couple of days before when I added several albums to the library, all the cover art was there.  Strange!

Got to thinking more, if that is possible, about the cover art last night.  Whenever I import a new album to my library, I always answer YES to the message box that asks "do I want to store...".  I do not know whether MC stores the actual art file or a link of some sort to the source file, which in my case was originally in the D:drive, but I am thinking that since the cover art was stored on the C:drive, that the whatever connection there might have been was lost when I installed the new HDD.

Not sure if the original art "files" can be recovered but am guessing not, in which case I will need to redo the covers.

Apparently the default for storing cover art, library backups, etc., was the C:drive.  Do you power users store them with the data files?

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 10:10:15 am »

Let's try this:  Go to an album that has no cover art, that you are sure used to have cover art.  Highlight the album.  Now open the tagging window with Edit > Tag.  Go find the [Image File] tag.  You might have to do "show all tags" from the gear menu to find this tag.

Now, what's it say?  It should show you the location of the image file. 

I store all of my cover art files *inside* the media files themselves.  That way they can't get separated.  There is an option to do so in MC.

I'm not sure why you can't locate your original images directory.  If you haven't altered anything on the C: drive, that implies that it was never in that location.  It's hard to speculate since I don't know the entire sequence of events.

Brian.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2016, 10:27:31 am »

Let's try this:  Go to an album that has no cover art, that you are sure used to have cover art.  Highlight the album.  Now open the tagging window with Edit > Tag.  Go find the [Image File] tag.  You might have to do "show all tags" from the gear menu to find this tag.

A spot sampling shows that most are "Inside File" for the Image File tag.  A few show "Varies" but these may be multiple artist compilations.

I store all of my cover art files *inside* the media files themselves.  That way they can't get separated.  There is an option to do so in MC.

I found the path to do this and the box for "Also store image in the file's tag".
AFTER we (hopefully) sort this out, I will set the default location for both Cover Art and Images to a folder in my music library.  Not sure why but cannot seem to locate either of these on my C:drive using the paths indicated on the OPTIONS page?!  Library backups are not where OPTIONS indicates either but rather in a folder in the music library so when the drives were changed, it looks like the OPTIONS were reset to some (arbitrary) default.

Thanks for your patience, Brian.

I'm not sure why you can't locate your original images directory.  If you haven't altered anything on the C: drive, that implies that it was never in that location.  It's hard to speculate since I don't know the entire sequence of events.
Sequence of events is simple, if not helpful...
1) Copied all folders and files from original 1TB HDD to new 2TB HDD; NOTE: NO CHANGES MADE TO C:DRIVE.
2) Switched 2TB for 1TB;
3) Added a few files using Library Import to new HDD;  These files plus all pre-existing cover art showed on the Recent Albums screen;
4) Did not try to play music for several days;
5) When I tried to use MC on Sunday, system would not play; Realized that it did not know where to look for data files so changed AUDIO OPTION from D:\ to Z:\;
6) System played fine BUT cover art all messed up; NOTE: COVER ART IS NOT IN "STANDARD" FORMAT, E.G., [ARTIST-ALBUM], SINCE MOST OF IT IS FROM INTERNET SOURCES AND NAMED BY ME SO I KNOW WHAT IT IS.;
7) And so it began...

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2016, 10:39:42 am »

Note:  It's sort of hard to respond inline with your blue text method.  You might try using the QUOTE function and respond outside of the QUOTE tags.  But that's minor, let's get on with it...

A spot sampling shows that most are "Inside File" for the Image File tag.

OK.  There should be nothing to get "lost" in these cases, as the art is inside the music file.  I would try doing "cover art > quick find" and see if it shows up.  If it does, select many files at once and try that.

A few show "Varies" but these may be multiple artist compilations.

"Varies" means that the values are different for the files you have selected.  Which means that one or more of the files in the album has a different value than the others.  It's possible you only have cover art assigned for the first file in the album.  Or it's assigned for most files, but not all.  I've had this happen in my library a couple of times.

Without doing this interactively, this is pretty difficult to diagnose.  What you're telling me all seems like it should just be working.  But it's clearly not working, or you wouldn't be asking!  :)

I'm keep hoping someone will recognize some of this behavior and step in with the answer.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2016, 10:42:48 am »

3) Added a few files using Library Import to new HDD;  These files plus all pre-existing cover art showed on the Recent Albums screen;

Wait a second...  If you replaced your D drive, and you didn't do a Rename, Move, and Copy files, you must have an entire library full of duplicates.  You say in step 5 below you changed "audio option" from D to Z.  Does that mean you use RM&C?

Now I'm more confused.

Brian.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2016, 11:20:11 am »

NOTE: Rather than replying with quote, I copy the full text of the post so that both the original and reply are intact as below...

A spot sampling shows that most are "Inside File" for the Image File tag.  A few show "Varies" but these may be multiple artist compilations.

OK.  There should be nothing to get "lost" in these cases, as the art is inside the music file.  I would try doing "cover art > quick find" and see if it shows up.  If it does, select many files at once and try that.

When I try COVER ART > QUICK FIND, MC finding the cover art is hit or miss, regardless of whether I do it in ALBUM view or RECENT ALBUM view.
In FILES mode, the vast majority of the files have cover art associated as evidenced by thumbnails to left of track name BUT 1 or 2 tracks in a given album may not show a thumbnail.

I found the path to do this and the box for "Also store image in the file's tag".
AFTER we (hopefully) sort this out, I will set the default location for both Cover Art and Images to a folder in my music library.  Not sure why but cannot seem to locate either of these on my C:drive using the paths indicated on the OPTIONS page?!  Library backups are not where OPTIONS indicates either but rather in a folder in the music library so when the drives were changed, it looks like the OPTIONS were reset to some (arbitrary) default.

Thanks for your patience, Brian.

Sequence of events is simple, if not helpful...

1) Copied all folders and files from original 1TB HDD to new 2TB HDD; NOTE: NO CHANGES MADE TO C:DRIVE.

2) Switched 2TB for 1TB;

Wait a second...  If you replaced your D drive, and you didn't do a Rename, Move, and Copy files, you must have an entire library full of duplicates.  You say in step 5 below you changed "audio option" from D to Z.  Does that mean you use RM&C?
Now I'm more confused.

Did not mean to confuse...  After I found that I had an issue with playback, to avoid confusion I deleted the library several albums that had been added after the drive switch so that the only albums under consideration were those from the original library.  As you suggested, I then did a FIND AND REPLACE to change the files from C:drive to Z:drive.

4) Did not try to play music for several days;

5) When I tried to use MC on Sunday, system would not play; Realized that it did not know where to look for data files so changed AUDIO OPTION from D:\ to Z:\;

6) System played fine BUT cover art all messed up; NOTE: COVER ART IS NOT IN "STANDARD" FORMAT, E.G., [ARTIST-ALBUM], SINCE MOST OF IT IS FROM INTERNET SOURCES AND NAMED BY ME SO I KNOW WHAT IT IS.;

7) And so it began...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2016, 11:33:03 am »

Please use the quote tags to quote the message you're replying to.

[ quote ]Text you want to reply to [ /quote ]
Your reply.

Removing the spaces in the tags above, you will see this:

Text you want to reply to
Your reply.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2016, 12:54:40 pm »

Please use the quote tags to quote the message you're replying to.

[ quote ]Text you want to reply to [ /quote ]
Your reply.

Removing the spaces in the tags above, you will see this:
Your reply.

I understand the system, Jim, but occasionally the responses to a response to an original post are lengthy or complicated and difficult to understand out of context, particularly if separated by numerous posts.  Is there another way to skin the cat?

My responses are in BLUE on these few replies.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2016, 07:59:19 am »

Have been hanging tight hoping that someone would have a fix for my situation.

I did set up folders under OPTIONS for the various file types in the new Z:drive but have not done anything with them.  As previously indicated, the folders for these items that might have existed before the drive change cannot be located.  I also checked on the orginal HDD and they are not there either.

Couple of new items...

1) IF I open up the track listing for an album that is not showing cover art and place the cursor over a track, invariably the artwork shows for all tracks except for the first in the list which would typically be Track #1;

2) I have also found at least one case where an album which existed in the MC library no longer is there although the folder and contents are on the server; Somehow the IMPORT was lost! 
Not sure how many albums are missing from the library but not happy with the possibility that I may need to crosscheck MC with a list of the server directory contents.  :-(

blgentry

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2016, 08:14:02 am »

This one is hard for me.  I'm having a really, really hard time following the story.  It seems to contradict itself over and over.  For example, you say your cover art is "not in a standard format", meaning the naming convention.  But then you say that you don't know where your cover art directory is.  I'm not sure what you mean by these two statements together.

The other thing is, the behavior you are reporting seems very odd.  Like either your library is corrupted in some way, or that maybe you haven't assigned cover art to all files in all albums.

....and now you're also saying you might have an unknown number of albums that are no longer in your library.

If you could locate your cover art repository, we could probably start over with a clean import and be done with it.

OR, you might start over, with a fresh clean library (by building a new one) and then importing a library backup made before you did the drive swap.

Brian.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2016, 10:33:28 am »

This one is hard for me.  I'm having a really, really hard time following the story.  It seems to contradict itself over and over.  For example, you say your cover art is "not in a standard format", meaning the naming convention.  But then you say that you don't know where your cover art directory is.  I'm not sure what you mean by these two statements together.

Let me try to explain, Brian...

Unless the Cover Art is embedded during the ripping process using EAC, I attempt to find 3rd party artwork online.

I put this cover art, playlists, booklets, etc., in the [Artist] - [Album] folders created for each album and are typically are not in the MC "ARTIST-ALBUM" standard format.

IF the cover art is not there as part of the rip when I import the album folder, after importing, I do RIGHT CLICK > COVER ART > ADD FROM FILE and select what I want to see in the ALBUM views.

When I do this, I get the COPY IMAGE dialog box which asks "would you like to copy this image to the cover art location you have specified in option?"  To which I answer, Yes.  However, not realizing that this location might have been somewhere other than my music drive and that it might be compromised by changing the HDD, I never paid much attention to it.  :-(

The other thing is, the behavior you are reporting seems very odd.  Like either your library is corrupted in some way, or that maybe you haven't assigned cover art to all files in all albums.

....and now you're also saying you might have an unknown number of albums that are no longer in your library.

If you could locate your cover art repository, we could probably start over with a clean import and be done with it.

Yes, very strange. 

Totally do not understand why...
ALBUM view shows ~50% cover art;
RECENT ALBUM view shows little cover art;
FILES view shows almost all cover art with exception of first track of album as evidenced by dragging cursor over the listing tracks and seeing cover art thumbnails;

As indicated, I cannot find the cover art repository.  I have done search for "cover art" and no folder is found.

OR, you might start over, with a fresh clean library (by building a new one) and then importing a library backup made before you did the drive swap.

Brian.

I assume that I would need to SAVE LIBRARY and keep track of its title in case I want to go back even tho' I am not sure why.

DJLegba

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2016, 11:07:50 am »

Sorry, I may have missed this somewhere in the thread, but when you go to Tools | Options | File Location what is the Cover Art folder set to?

blgentry

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2016, 03:18:52 pm »

IF the cover art is not there as part of the rip when I import the album folder, after importing, I do RIGHT CLICK > COVER ART > ADD FROM FILE and select what I want to see in the ALBUM views.

When I do this, I get the COPY IMAGE dialog box which asks "would you like to copy this image to the cover art location you have specified in option?"  To which I answer, Yes. 

OK, I understand.  Thanks for taking the time to spell it out.

You may or may not know that I do not use MS Windows day to day.  I use a Mac as my daily machine and run the Mac version of MC.  I know Windows, but I don't use it all the time, so I'm sometimes a little slow on subtle technical details.

Which brings us to your cover art folder.  Since it's supposed to be in AppData, I think I've figured out *that* part of the problem:  AppData is HIDDEN by default in Windows.  Do a google search on how to show hidden files and folders.  It will show you how to set some options to let you see all of the files and folders on your system, including AppData.  Once you "unhide" it from view, you'll probably find that your folder is there and contains all of the cover art that you were expecting it to.

Totally do not understand why...
ALBUM view shows ~50% cover art;
RECENT ALBUM view shows little cover art;
FILES view shows almost all cover art with exception of first track of album as evidenced by dragging cursor over the listing tracks and seeing cover art thumbnails;

Yes, this is rather weird.  I already advised you to rebuild thumbnails and you said that did nothing.  You also indicate that individually rebuilding thumbnails works, which is extra weird.  I'm just guessing, but I think your library might be messed up in some way.  The fact that you see your thumbnails in one view correctly (files view), but not in others, is why I think you *might* have a library problem.

I'm assuming that you've quit and restarted MC several times already?  If you have not, please try rebuilding thumbnails again from the Options menu, then quit and restart MC.

If you have, I think I would personally make a backup of my library, then create a brand new one, and restore the backup into the new library.  I'm not sure if that will work or not, but it would be my next step after rebuilding thumbs as above.

I assume that I would need to SAVE LIBRARY and keep track of its title in case I want to go back even tho' I am not sure why.

I assume you are referring to me asking about library backups?  The path is File > Library > Backup Library.  But please note that MC makes automatic backups every few days.  This is why I was talking about restoring an older backup.  MC should have automatically made them for you every few days.

Brian.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2016, 01:01:53 pm »

(1) OK, I understand.  Thanks for taking the time to spell it out.

You may or may not know that I do not use MS Windows day to day.  I use a Mac as my daily machine and run the Mac version of MC.  I know Windows, but I don't use it all the time, so I'm sometimes a little slow on subtle technical details.

(2) Which brings us to your cover art folder.  Since it's supposed to be in AppData, I think I've figured out *that* part of the problem:  AppData is HIDDEN by default in Windows.  Do a google search on how to show hidden files and folders.  It will show you how to set some options to let you see all of the files and folders on your system, including AppData.  Once you "unhide" it from view, you'll probably find that your folder is there and contains all of the cover art that you were expecting it to.

(3) Yes, this is rather weird.  I already advised you to rebuild thumbnails and you said that did nothing.  You also indicate that individually rebuilding thumbnails works, which is extra weird.  I'm just guessing, but I think your library might be messed up in some way.  The fact that you see your thumbnails in one view correctly (files view), but not in others, is why I think you *might* have a library problem.

I'm assuming that you've quit and restarted MC several times already?  If you have not, please try rebuilding thumbnails again from the Options menu, then quit and restart MC.

(4) If you have, I think I would personally make a backup of my library, then create a brand new one, and restore the backup into the new library.  I'm not sure if that will work or not, but it would be my next step after rebuilding thumbs as above.

(5) I assume you are referring to me asking about library backups?  The path is File > Library > Backup Library.  But please note that MC makes automatic backups every few days.  This is why I was talking about restoring an older backup.  MC should have automatically made them for you every few days.

Brian.

(1) More than happy to provide as much info as I can to assist troubleshooting.  Your doing pretty well with MSWin.  BTW, I am using Win7Pro.

(2) You were correct that AppData is hidden which I unhid.  When I drill down to AppData, this is what I find...

>LOCAL folder - no MC folder; no cover art;
>LOCALLOW folder - no MC folder; no cover art;
>ROAMING > JRiver > JRMC20 > COVER ART > ALBUMS - incomplete; only about 50 cover art files shown;

NOTE: Another observation... Use JRemote on iSlab as controller and, when I used it the other day, it showed cover art for all tracks even on albums which showed blue note in ALBUMS view!

(3) I have rebuilt thumbnails several times and MC has also been restarted several times with no visible change;

(4) OK...

(4.1) Do library backup of existing library
   (4.2) Create NEW library;   
         Does this NEW replace the OLD library OR exist in parallel with new name?  IF a library backup captures cover art, why would opening it in a new library possibly help?

(5) Yes, I understand; I back up the library any time I make an addition or change; 
When I look in LIBRARY BACKUPS folder, I only find 8-10 files with the latest being dated 2016-09-02 (I believe prior to installing new HDD) and another called SEPTEMBER which I do not know what it is.

SUGGESTION... I am sure in my simplemindedness that I created this problem for myself (and, given the thread response, no one else experienced similar) by exchanging HDDs but maybe a simple how-to for this process would be of value to MC users.

blgentry

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2016, 04:19:27 pm »

NOTE: Another observation... Use JRemote on iSlab as controller and, when I used it the other day, it showed cover art for all tracks even on albums which showed blue note in ALBUMS view!

This indicates that MC actually sees the cover art.  OR maybe that it's cached in JRemote?  Seems like mostly good news, but hard to say.

(4.1) Do library backup of existing library
   (4.2) Create NEW library;   
Does this NEW replace the OLD library OR exist in parallel with new name?

The NEW library will exist in parallel with the OLD library.  You can select either one from: File > Library > (list here)

IF a library backup captures cover art, why would opening it in a new library possibly help?

Because MC seems to be acting strangely according to what you've said, as far as I understand it.  This *might* indicate that your library is corrupted in some way.  It might be as simple as the thumbnail cache being "broken" and needing to be rebuilt.  I really don't know.  I do know that starting with a fresh clean library and importing a library backup should rebuild all of the data structures.  So there's a good chance this might fix your problem.  Or not.  Hard to say without trying it.  It's a fairly quick operation so it won't take too long to find out.

(5) Yes, I understand; I back up the library any time I make an addition or change; 
When I look in LIBRARY BACKUPS folder, I only find 8-10 files with the latest being dated 2016-09-02 (I believe prior to installing new HDD) and another called SEPTEMBER which I do not know what it is.

This is yet another thing you could do:  Restore from one of these older library backups.  This will have MC thinking that all of your files are on your other drive, so you'll have to use the RM&C tool to change the paths.  But that's easy right?  I'm not sure if this will help or not; it's just another idea.

BTW, that "september" backup is how MC does things.  It keeps monthly backups and erases all of the in betweens.  I think it keeps something like every day of the current month and then all monthlies back for a year or something.  It's pretty good about backups.

Brian.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
Re: Globally changing source drive BY JOVE, I THINK WE'VE GOT IT! :-D
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 02:05:49 pm »

(1) This indicates that MC actually sees the cover art.  OR maybe that it's cached in JRemote?  Seems like mostly good news, but hard to say.

(2) The NEW library will exist in parallel with the OLD library.  You can select either one from: File > Library > (list here)

(3) Because MC seems to be acting strangely according to what you've said, as far as I understand it.  This *might* indicate that your library is corrupted in some way.  It might be as simple as the thumbnail cache being "broken" and needing to be rebuilt.  I really don't know.  I do know that starting with a fresh clean library and importing a library backup should rebuild all of the data structures.  So there's a good chance this might fix your problem.  Or not.  Hard to say without trying it.  It's a fairly quick operation so it won't take too long to find out.

(4) This is yet another thing you could do:  Restore from one of these older library backups.  This will have MC thinking that all of your files are on your other drive, so you'll have to use the RM&C tool to change the paths.  But that's easy right?  I'm not sure if this will help or not; it's just another idea.

(5) BTW, that "september" backup is how MC does things.  It keeps monthly backups and erases all of the in betweens.  I think it keeps something like every day of the current month and then all monthlies back for a year or something.  It's pretty good about backups.

Brian.

(1)  Yes; it suggested that artwork was SOMEWHERE?!

(2)  I see that now and have created a new library with today's date in remembrance!  ;-)

(3)  After creating the new library, I did a RESTORE LIBRARY with a backup that I had just made;
VOILA! 
With the exception of maybe 6 or so albums, all the cover art backfilled fine.  The others I just added FROM FILE.

(4) Will keep in mind for next time...NOT!

(5)  Kind of figured.  Belt & Suspenders works for me, particularly in this case!

I probably would have saved both you and me a lot of time IF I had not renamed the new drive to something other than that of the one replaced but then again I would not have learned so much about how MC works particularly the OPTIONS paths.  It REALLY is quite excellent.

Thank you again, Brian., for your patience and persistence!  Well done!

blgentry

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2016, 03:38:04 pm »

^ All right!  Glad to hear of your success.  It's really nice to be able to solve weirdo problems.  :)  Good job for both of us.

Take care,

Brian.

Bigguy49

• World Citizen
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2016, 09:05:00 am »

^ All right!  Glad to hear of your success.  It's really nice to be able to solve weirdo problems.  :)  Good job for both of us.

Take care,

Brian.

Have not fully exercised system but am happy camper right now.  I would say you earned your LIBRARY Merit Badge!  ;-)

Out of curiosity...

I see that the power users are "Citizens of the Universe".

Why are newbies "Junior Woodchucks"?  To continue the metaphor, why not "Legal Aliens" for example?
Pages: [1]   Go Up