INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: IdPi Installation Instructions  (Read 26893 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
IdPi Installation Instructions
« on: September 15, 2016, 01:15:44 pm »

Requirements
Raspberry Pi 3 or Pi 4.

The power supply must have enough power for the Pi and any attached USB devices (DAC, etc).
This is a very common point of failure when using a Pi.

If you are using an external hard drive for media it MUST be powered externally.

You must have an Internet enabled Ethernet connection to the Id.

Instructions
1.  Insert the Id Pi micro SDCard into the Raspberry Pi, connect a network cable, keyboard and monitor, and power up your hardware. It takes about 90 seconds for the Id Pi to display the main menu.

2.  Choose option 18 (Enter License Key) on the main menu.  You will be queried for the registration code (included in the package).  Pay close attention to the differentiation of the number 0 and the letter O in the registration code as well as the number 1 and the lowercase letter l.   Enter the registration code and hit enter. You'll be asked to confirm the code.

3.  Enter a valid email address. This is essential in order to be able to retrieve your license from the JRiver license server in the future.

4.  In about 30 seconds you should see "License installed successfully".  If not, repeat the process.  You must have an Internet enabled Ethernet connection for this to work.

You are ready to go! If you are going to use the Id Pi as a server and not just a renderer, you will need to generate an Access Key.  You can do that by rebooting the Id into GUI mode or connecting to the Id with remote desktop or vnc.  Use option 11 on the main menu to get the IP address of the Id for remote desktop/vnc access.

When connecting with remote desktop or vnc, the default password is remote. This password can be changed from the Id main menu.

When connecting with remote desktop and with the Id Pi in text/headless mode, Media Center will be minimized on the dock. Click to bring it up.

Known Issues
Wired network connections are recommended. If you do use a wireless connection, it can be configured using a phone or via the network menu on the Id.
When using a phone, go into your wireless network selection and selecte the Id network (Id-xxxxxx). On a iOS device that will popup the Id's wireless network configuration page after a few seconds. On an Android phone use a browser to connect to http://192.168.254.254 to get to the config page.

The Raspberry Pi's limited CPU power may limit what can be rendered. This will be more of an issue with a wireless connection.

The Raspberry Pi can't play multi-channel output through HDMI.

If you need to power down the Id Pi, please do so from the main menu, using a connected monitor and keyboard or via remote desktop / vnc or by using Panel > Settings (the gear icon). This is to prevent damage to the micro SDCard.

More
Here is a source for the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B:

Amazon

Questions?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Id Pi Installation Instructions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 08:18:57 am »

Panel
After setup is complete, you can access the Id Pi from the web app, Panel.  It uses a browser on any device and requires no app installation.

This provides access to any media content you have stored on the mSD card, to Engen lighting, and to many of the options available on the text menu of the Id.  These include the ability to remotely shut down or restart the Id.  These settings are available by clicking on the gear icon at the bottom of the page.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2016, 12:43:18 pm »

Here's a direct link to Panel

It works with any Id.

ray77

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 10:27:14 pm »

Installed mSD card and successfully entered licence key. Got "critical error" message when I tried to mount music library from laptop running MC20. Asked to enter "password below". I didn't know what password it was looking for and did not know where "below" was - did not see a text field to enter anything. Now I have received a new licence mjr file that asks me to double-click on the computer running MC22 (my Rpi). The IdPi GUI only has manual licence entry option. How do I find the licence digits inside mjr file? I am not familiar with Linux and do not want to crash the system again (only 9 licences left). I am now reading DLNA Wiki. I want to use Rpi as a dedicated music player (DLNA renderer) of music stored on my Windows 10 laptop running MC20 (DLNA server). Can't be that hard. Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2017, 06:27:40 am »

On the Id, use the text menu to enter the license.  It's an option there.

The IdPi includes MC22, so you need MC22 or higher to connect to it from your laptop.

ray77

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 09:06:29 am »

So I re-enter the registration code that I got with the mSD card in the GUI text field and there is no need to do anything with the Install Key (.mjr file) that I received by email. Will give it a try. Will upgrade my Windows PC to MC22 to enable DLNA features once I get Rpi MC working. thanks.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 09:19:13 am »

So I re-enter the registration code that I got with the mSD card in the GUI text field and there is no need to do anything with the Install Key (.mjr file) that I received by email. Will give it a try. Will upgrade my Windows PC to MC22 to enable DLNA features once I get Rpi MC working. thanks.
You can install it in the GUI text field but it's better to use the option 18 from the main text menu (which shows up in GUI or Text mode).
The reason for this is that it saves a copy of the registration into the backup directory in case you ever need to restore with option 77.

Bohemian

• World Citizen
Re: IdPi Installation Instructions
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 09:49:08 am »

Does the Idpi have vnc server installed?

If not how would I go about installing it?  I have the pi graphical interface on my pc monitor to which it is connected, but I wish to use it headless to my dac.

If it is installed, how do I find it to configure it?

Any help appreciated.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 10:01:27 am »

Yes.   You can use a remote desktop program to connect.  You should change the password (remote).

It's easiest to use a monitor for setup, then switch to headless, using the text menu.

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 10:57:12 am »

Thanks Jim.  I have it connected to my monitor, keyboard and mouse and separate hdd and am setting up the library, but when I move it to the hifi and run headless, I want to be able to control from my pc monitor (I only have one) to connect my dac.

Thanks for the excellent support I have received on this forum.
Chris

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 02:02:25 pm »

You can use Tremote to control another machine using MC.  The wiki has a topic on Remotes. 

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2018, 03:57:01 pm »

Please, how can I change the system date and time on the Idpi?  I am bored with February.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2018, 05:05:04 pm »

Isn't that on the text menu?

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2018, 07:15:11 am »

I have looked at the menu via vnc but there seems not to be a way to do it from there.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2018, 08:11:55 am »

Is the Id connected to the Internet?

BradATIMA

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2018, 09:56:17 am »

Please, how can I change the system date and time on the Idpi?  I am bored with February.

You can't actually manually change the system date and time. The Id gets that information off the internet. You can configure the time zone, which is in the Custom RPi Configuration (option 17). However, it sounds like it's not getting the update from the internet. Have you tried rebooting it recently?

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2018, 10:55:57 am »

Yes I have rebooted it.
It is connected to my home network wirelessly, and also to the internet as I can download updates both from the main menu, and the Mediacentre updates too.
I have used option 17 from the menu and set my location as London, Europe. But I seem stuck on (now) 13th February!

It only causes me a difficulty finding a backup library by date!  Otherwise it is just a slight annoyance.

Having looked around more, I see that the Registration info says that my MC24 version 19 is unregistered and that 24 days remain!  Do I have to do anything here?

I am getting more and more confused.

BradATIMA

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2018, 12:08:47 pm »

Yes I have rebooted it.
It is connected to my home network wirelessly, and also to the internet as I can download updates both from the main menu, and the Mediacentre updates too.
I have used option 17 from the menu and set my location as London, Europe. But I seem stuck on (now) 13th February!

It only causes me a difficulty finding a backup library by date!  Otherwise it is just a slight annoyance.

Having looked around more, I see that the Registration info says that my MC24 version 19 is unregistered and that 24 days remain!  Do I have to do anything here?

I am getting more and more confused.

The upgrade to 24 causes the Id to lose its license. You will need to re-enter it from the main menu (option 18). Use the license you received with the IdPi, and make sure to answer 'n' for no when it asks you if this is the first time the license is used. It is possible that licensing the Id might fix the date issue, but I'm not sure.

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2018, 02:19:19 pm »

I have relicenced MC24 now.  This is showing ok.

For some unknown reason my GUI menu has disappeared along with the bottom bar showing the workspace etc!

Woe is me, I can't seem to do right for doing wrong!

I did the update from the GUI menu before it disappeared, but it did not give me a browser on right-click.  But that is a minor inconvenience just now.

BradATIMA

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2018, 02:53:24 pm »

I have relicenced MC24 now.  This is showing ok.

For some unknown reason my GUI menu has disappeared along with the bottom bar showing the workspace etc!

Woe is me, I can't seem to do right for doing wrong!

I did the update from the GUI menu before it disappeared, but it did not give me a browser on right-click.  But that is a minor inconvenience just now.

Are you connecting to it remotely? If you reboot the Id, does it still come up the same way?

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2018, 03:36:32 pm »

Yes, I connect with VNC.  It boots up the same way each time.

Edit:
Just rebooted again and the menu has returned!  All I am missing now is the workspace bottom bar where I can switch easily from mc to menu, and which tells me which day it isn't.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2018, 04:00:45 pm »

Part of your problems could be related to VNC. We recommend a monitor and keyboard for setup.

BradATIMA

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2018, 07:35:43 am »

Yes, I connect with VNC.  It boots up the same way each time.

Edit:
Just rebooted again and the menu has returned!  All I am missing now is the workspace bottom bar where I can switch easily from mc to menu, and which tells me which day it isn't.

Is it possible the screen is just overflowing when you use VNC? If you try remote desktop, do you see the same thing?

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2018, 09:19:37 am »

I don't know how to use remote desktop, BUT, the menu is back, the bottom menu bar is back, media centre is OK and I can live with being in February and not having a browser.  I will just wait patiently for further updates.
I have vnc working and JRemote is doing a stirling job. I don't want to stir up any more mud to cloud my waters, just now.

Thank you all for your amazing patience with this old beggar.

DaveW42

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2018, 11:51:45 pm »

When I login remotely to the IdPi/raspberry pi using remote desktop, I am presented with screens whose resolutions don't match the resolutions on the computer i am using to login.  In short, I am presented with JRiver screens (both the main text menu and the gui) that are far too large, thus causing me to constantly use scroll bars to view my options and change settings.  Is there some way to adjust this, so my view of the IdPi is more manageable?

Thanks!

Dave

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2018, 06:46:19 am »

That's probably set in the client remote program.

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2018, 01:47:22 pm »

That's probably set in the client remote program.
I have the same thing, Jim, and VNC have a page where it suggests that the screen resolution is altered in raspipi-config.
The page is : https://support.realvnc.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/523/2/troubleshooting-vnc-server-on-the-raspberry-pi

Unfortunately I don't know what this all means or how to do it.
Can you offer any advice on this?

DaveW42

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2018, 11:04:25 pm »

That post is a great find, Bohemian!

I confess to being a Linux newbie, and am in the same boat with trying to figure out how to fix this.  I have four Id Pi's and the same issue is on all four.  The resolution issue makes it such that I never really want to try accessing those pi's remotely.  I gave the post you referenced a shot by downloading PuTTY and trying to log into my Id Pi via telnet at port 52199, to see if I could directly modify that raspi-config file.  However the connection was denied.  Jim, your help would be greatly appreciated here.

Also--as has been said in other places in this forum--kudos to JRiver for including Radio Paradise as a streaming option in v24!  RP is by far the best online music station that I have found.

Thanks,
Dave 

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2018, 05:26:07 am »

I downloaded vnc to my ipad and the resolution is better.  Got to get to grips with using it, though.

BradATIMA

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2018, 08:19:50 am »

When I login remotely to the IdPi/raspberry pi using remote desktop, I am presented with screens whose resolutions don't match the resolutions on the computer i am using to login.  In short, I am presented with JRiver screens (both the main text menu and the gui) that are far too large, thus causing me to constantly use scroll bars to view my options and change settings.  Is there some way to adjust this, so my view of the IdPi is more manageable?

I'm guessing that you have the IdPi booted in GUI mode with no monitor connected. You can either leave the IdPi without a monitor connected and boot the IdPi into Headless Text mode (main menu option 2), or connect a monitor and just reboot the IdPi. Either option should resolve this issue.

Bohemian

• World Citizen
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2018, 10:43:48 am »

I'm guessing that you have the IdPi booted in GUI mode with no monitor connected. You can either leave the IdPi without a monitor connected and boot the IdPi into Headless Text mode (main menu option 2), or connect a monitor and just reboot the IdPi. Either option should resolve this issue.

Wonderful!  Solved the problem for me especially on iPad. Excellent.  Thank you so much.

DaveW42

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2018, 12:34:28 am »

Thank you!  This worked for me too.  I used the following since I didn't have a monitor nearby:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=B06XT1Z9TF

If possible, I think it might be preferable for others if perhaps JRiver could modify raspipi-config, or--when JRiver creates the image it uses for sd cards--connect the source idPi up to a 1920x1080p monitor.  I own four IdPi's and this issue was quite annoying until I knew about this fix.

Thanks again,
Dave

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2018, 09:05:50 am »

Thank you!  This worked for me too.  I used the following since I didn't have a monitor nearby:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=B06XT1Z9TF

If possible, I think it might be preferable for others if perhaps JRiver could modify raspipi-config, or--when JRiver creates the image it uses for sd cards--connect the source idPi up to a 1920x1080p monitor.  I own four IdPi's and this issue was quite annoying until I knew about this fix.

Thanks again,
Dave
Can you suggest a change using the raspi-config?
I assume it has something to do with forcing HDMI?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2018, 11:55:44 am »

I just got a new IdPi, and am struggling to get it to work. When MC “starts”, it displays an Information dialog with black text on a black background, which is presumably telling me that something is wrong. Can anyone please tell me what this error message is, and how to fix it?
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2018, 12:09:33 pm »

In the main menu type "77".
When prompted for yes or no, type "yes".

After doing this try entering your registration code, if you haven't done so already.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2018, 12:36:01 pm »

^
Many thanks. The 77 helped me make some progress. Now unfortunately I am getting a “Your license file is for another product” even though I splashed out just now on upgrading my Windows only license to a Master License.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

Awesome Donkey

• Administrator
  • The color of Spring...
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2018, 12:44:30 pm »

Ids use their own license (unless I'm mistaken), and they don't use 'normal' licenses (e.g. master licenses).
I don't work for JRiver... I help keep the forums safe from Viagra and other sources of sketchy pharmaceuticals.

Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit + Ubuntu 24.04 LTS Noble Numbat 64-bit | Windows 11 2023 Update (23H2) 64-bit (Intel N305 Fanless NUC 16GB RAM/256GB NVMe SSD)
JRiver Media Center 32 (Windows + Linux) | Topping D50s DAC | Edifier R2000DB Bookshelf Speakers

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2018, 12:51:13 pm »

Ids use their own license (unless I'm mistaken), and they don't use 'normal' licenses (e.g. master licenses).

Understood. It looks like I need help from Deanna to 1) refund me the Upgrade for the (not needed) Master License, and 2) get me set up with a new IdPi license instead.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2018, 02:40:30 pm »

The IdPi should have included a license. 

IdPi Instructions.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2018, 02:57:38 pm »

That's correct.  It's more than just JRiver Media Center.

kalash

• Recent member
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2019, 11:15:13 am »

Just got a new idpi microSD card for linking up my PC with my Digione signature (Raspberry Pi) + chord hugo dac combination. I can't see any registration code/license with the package which I ordered by Paypal.   Am i missing something that is obvious? I do have the license numbers for MC25 which is on my main PC but I understand a new license comes with idpi. Any advice gratefully received.

Deanna

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2019, 12:40:13 pm »

Customarily we do not include the license on international shipments.  We sent the license to you in an email on August 2nd.  We re-sent the email to you again on August 7th.  Check your junk/spam folders.
Deanna

kalash

• Recent member
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2019, 01:56:39 pm »

Thanks Deanna for speedy response. Yes found all your correspondence (incl. codes) hiding in my spam folder as you suggested.

kalash

• Recent member
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2019, 12:52:56 pm »

A further query - I wondered had anyone out there, whose has the idpi and a Digione signature player (Pi3), been able to output music via spdif to a dac? With it connected I can see it on MC25 on my PC and can get it to play, but no sound. I think it is set to play via the HDMI output not the (better) spdif output. When i was setting it up for the license with a connected tv monitor using HDMI I could hear the music playing on the TV monitor but couldn't see any way to make it change over to the digione player for output (via spdif) instead of the default HDMI on the raspberry pi. I know it's not a JRiver MC problem as such, but if anyone knows a solution for changing the settings, it would be much appreciated.

BradATIMA

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2019, 01:45:28 pm »

A further query - I wondered had anyone out there, whose has the idpi and a Digione signature player (Pi3), been able to output music via spdif to a dac? With it connected I can see it on MC25 on my PC and can get it to play, but no sound. I think it is set to play via the HDMI output not the (better) spdif output. When i was setting it up for the license with a connected tv monitor using HDMI I could hear the music playing on the TV monitor but couldn't see any way to make it change over to the digione player for output (via spdif) instead of the default HDMI on the raspberry pi. I know it's not a JRiver MC problem as such, but if anyone knows a solution for changing the settings, it would be much appreciated.

Have you tried changing the audio output device on the IdPi? In Media Center on the IdPi go to Tools -> Options -> Audio. In the dropdown menu just below 'Audio Device', look for an option that indicates the Digione player. It will probably appear in the list multiple times, so first, try the one that begins with 'hw:'.

kalash

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2019, 03:29:29 pm »

Thanks for looking into this. Tried changing the audio output as suggested. There are 8 options and a null output option. The 8 options all contain the word ALSA.  4 have HW in the title eg HW: CARD=ALSA.DEV=0 ....  and I have tried them all. They appear to reduce all flac files down to 320 kbps although they are higher quality 700 kbps +. They play as normal but with no sound going through to the dac and no sound bar movement showing in MC. No mention of digione card

BradATIMA

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2019, 03:50:26 pm »

Thanks for looking into this. Tried changing the audio output as suggested. There are 8 options and a null output option. The 8 options all contain the word ALSA.  4 have HW in the title eg HW: CARD=ALSA.DEV=0 ....  and I have tried them all. They appear to reduce all flac files down to 320 kbps although they are higher quality 700 kbps +. They play as normal but with no sound going through to the dac and no sound bar movement showing in MC. No mention of digione card

It sounds like it might not be finding the Digione board. If you run option 10 (Show audio device information) from the IdPi main menu, does it show multiple "Card" entries or is there only a "Card 0" with two devices?

kalash

• Recent member
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2019, 05:10:30 pm »

it just shows the following - 2 devices:

Card 0, ID `ALSA', name `bcm2835 ALSA'
  Device 0, ID `bcm2835 ALSA', name `bcm2835 ALSA', 7 subdevices (7 available)
    1..2 channels, sampling rates 8000, 11025, 16000, 22050, 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000 Hz
    Sample formats: U8, S16_LE
  Device 1, ID `bcm2835 ALSA', name `bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI', 1 subdevices (1 available)
    2 channels, sampling rates 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000 Hz
    Sample formats: S16_LE

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2019, 06:15:09 am »

Based on this intel:
https://forums.plex.tv/t/plexamp-on-allo-digione-signature/382165/5

The audio device should show itself as:
allo-digione

or possibly:
https://www.snakeoil-os.net/forums/Thread-Raspberry-Pi-3B-Support-for-Allo-DigiOne-Signature
sndallodigione

It looks like it's a /boot/config.txt thing ... one for the devs. That's the best I can do from the outer.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

kalash

• Recent member
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2019, 08:17:07 am »

Yes I think you are right ... it just need a couple of appropriate lines of text in the right place for the rpi to switch it over to allo-digione (unfortunately beyond my current skill set). Hopefully someone in the future will be able to pick it up.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up