INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving films into their own folders  (Read 3359 times)

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
Moving films into their own folders
« on: September 16, 2016, 05:28:33 pm »

Hi,

I am stumped (again) by the Rename, Move and Copy files part of MC. Can anyone tell me whether it is possible to move hundreds of films all in one folder into seprate subfolders named after their resdpective titles? So

Z:\Design for Living.jpg > Z:\Design for Living\Design for Living.jpg
Z:\Design for Living.mkv > Z:\Design for Living\Design for Living.mkv
Z:\Design for Living_mkv_JRSidecar.xml > Z:\Design for Living\Design for Living_mkv_JRSidecar.xml
Z:\Lucy (2014).mkv > Z:\Lucy (2014)\Lucy (2014).mkv
....etc

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving films into their own folders
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 06:19:24 pm »

It seems like it would be pretty easy based on an experiment I just did.

Just check Directories, and then in "Rule", put:
[Name]

It seems to move all three files (Movie file, JPG, and XML).

Should be pretty easy.  Test on one, then do a few, then do many.

Brian.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 03:59:29 am »

Thanks Brian, if that is all there is to it, it really is simple. I'll give it a shot later today and let you know.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 09:15:15 am »

Make sure to leave the Base Directory empty, so it ONLY uses the Rule.

Also, check the preview on the right.  It will show you what RM&C is going to do *before* you press OK.  That way you can verify your work, and change it if necessary before MC tries to move anything around.

Good luck!

Brian.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 04:08:54 am »

I am not sure I understand your remark to leave the base directory empty. I tried your suggestion and ended up with all my films in the directory of the ONE film I had highlighted.

I am trying to move hundreds of films in the Film folder to subfolders of their own within the Film folder (some already do have such subfolders but most do not). [Name] on its own obviously does not do that.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 07:25:33 am »

It sounds like maybe you had the option "move all files" checked.  It's at the top right underneath the mode.  Leave that option unchecked.

For directory, there are two boxes:  One is Base, and the other is Rule.  Leave the base box empty.   Put [Name] in Rule.

I'm hoping your experiment didn't actually move any files.  You just looked at the preview window on the right.  Is that correct?  Either way, your files on disk are now back to normal right?

Hopefully these pointers will get you to the solution you want.

Brian.

akira54

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2016, 02:26:55 am »

Hi Brian,

Yes I did (assuming it referred to the files accompanying the film itself). I am afraid it did move a few hundred files before I cancelled it. I moved them all back outside MC and restored the previous library, so it wasn't a big disaster. What threw me, however, is that the preview window did not show that MC was going to move all files. It just showed the one film I had selected with the correct new destination.

I can't remember if I had the base directory box checked, but I'll make sure it isn't the next time I try it.

Thanks for your help (and concern).

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2016, 09:51:18 am »

What threw me, however, is that the preview window did not show that MC was going to move all files. It just showed the one film I had selected with the correct new destination.

I can't remember if I had the base directory box checked, but I'll make sure it isn't the next time I try it.

The box you want to make sure is unchecked is the MOVE ALL FILES box.  It's at the upper left corner underneath the mode box (rename, copy, update).  See this illustration for reference:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File:Rename_Move_Copy-Audio-Example.png

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up