Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WAV64  (Read 5288 times)

CCFOK

• Recent member
WAV64
« on: September 17, 2016, 03:16:46 am »

Hi I used my dbpoweramp software ripping CD uncompressed to WAV64, stored in Windows explorer music file, then tried to import from Windows explorer music file to JRiver library.
Unfortunately, what JRiver shown up, not all the titles of the songs were the same as what's went from the Windows explorer, sometimes ever all of them had funny characters.
My son told me it was because JRiver is not compatible with WAV64.
I believe JRiver player is compatible with WAV64.
Another problem was when playing classical music, the space gap between sequential passage or tracks was sometimes too soon or too long.
I would be much appreciated if someone could tell me what I should do?
Many thanks.
CCFOK

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: WAV64
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 09:21:43 am »

I don't know why you are using WAV64.  It's an odd format designed for REALLY huge files.  Files that are much bigger than you could fit onto a CD.

Even WAV is essentially unnecessary today.  FLAC is a superior format in that it has proper tagging support, while retaining 100% of the music quality and sound data that a WAV file can contain.

MC does support WAV64 according to some old posts I found.  But I don't think there's any good reason to use that format for ripping CDs.  It's just an additional complication in the process.

On your gap question, I recommend the following settings to get true gapless playback:

Tools > Options > Audio > Track Change > Do Not play silence > (unchecked)
Tools > Options > Audio > Track Change > Use gapless for sequential album tracks > (checked)

Brian.

CCFOK

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 12:23:10 am »

Hi Brian,
Thank you for your kind response and will take your advice to rip in FLAC format.
Another (stupid) query, how could I transfer all the ripped album files to an external USB portable drive with the original (e.g. FLAC) format unchanged.
Many thanks.
Chung

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 08:23:31 am »

Are you trying to make a copy, or do you want to move your files to an external drive to save space on the internal?

The Rename, Move, and Copy files tool will let you move files around without making any changes.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

If you want to make a copy of some files for portable use, you probably want to use the Handheld Sync system.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Sync

Brian.

CCFOK

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 12:32:32 am »

Dear Brian,
Yes, I need to make a copy of all my JRiver music files into an external drive, so I can use it on my other computer and I don't need to rip them again.
Another strange thing was that when I finished ripping a CD and tried to rip another one, the optical drive couldn't see it as if no CD was in the drive. Then I had to restart the PC, start it again but it happened again one after the other.
I tried to rip with JRiver encoder FLAC and WAV secured rip with 8x and max ripping speed for comparison. Yet no matter what I did, same thing happened.
Your advice would be much appreciated.
Kind regards,
Chung Fok

Trumpetguy

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 02:46:58 am »

Have you considered a network setup, where you use one computer as server and using a JRiver installation as client on a second (and third etc) computer. Works really well, and allows you to keep all your files in one place. Reduces hassle and storage demands a lot.

Edit: just wanted to make a point that the server-client solution is one of many strengths with MC. The clients hook up with the server database and streams audio from the server. Either lossless or lossy depending on your available bandwidth. This works both in your home network and externally.

CCFOK

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 10:45:57 pm »

Hi Trumpetguy,
Thank you for your comment.
I am a computer idiot, I don't know what to do with all my computers.
I have a Sooloos Control 15 with 3 MC200 external hard drives which are now in my Macau residence and already made me crazy since the Control 15 keeps saying it couldn't communicate with the internet.
I usually reside in Australia, My friend set up a computer and a Drobo Pro storage for me specially for my music collection, I have a Dell laptop, and a Memory Player MP64-16, an iPad and bought 2 JRiver license not knowing how to use them.
The computer my friend set up has 2 Xeon E5-2680 processor, 2 Plextor PCIe 512GB SSDs, 2 Samsung 850Pro 2TB SSDs running Windows server 2012 R2.
Since my friend left the country for his new career, my computer system was in a mess.
I don't understand what's been described in the JRiver Forum, only to post bit by bit trying to fix some problems.
I need to copy music files into a portable drive so that I can use it in Macau.
Kind regards,
Chung

Trumpetguy

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 03:16:04 am »

I usually reside in Australia, My friend set up a computer and a Drobo Pro storage for me specially for my music collection, I have a Dell laptop, and a Memory Player MP64-16, an iPad and bought 2 JRiver license not knowing how to use them.
JRiver allows you to use one license on all your own computers on the same OS platform (within reason). If you use different platforms, e.g. one Mac and one Windows, you would either need two separate licenses or a master license (that would also cover Linux installations).

Since my friend left the country for his new career, my computer system was in a mess.
I don't understand what's been described in the JRiver Forum, only to post bit by bit trying to fix some problems.
I need to copy music files into a portable drive so that I can use it in Macau.

Ok, I understand that your situation and needs are indeed more esoteric than mine  ;D
In short, the client-server setup will require a stable and relatively high bandwidth internet (or intranet) connection. But in cases where you don't have that, you are probably right to copy your music files. Then you have had very good advice already on coding to flac, not use wav or wav64. For many reasons. If you want to tidy up really well, you could have your home database (and music files) and your away database and music files set up with the same drive letters and paths. Then it would be easier to update both locations.

CCFOK

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2016, 10:05:14 pm »

Hi Trumpetguy,
Could you kindly advise after 1 or 2 rips of CD, I have to restart the computer so I can rip again, because JRiver couldn't see the CD was already in the drive. It happened over and over again.
Kind regards,
Chung 

Trumpetguy

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2016, 01:13:42 am »

Sorry, no clue. Suggest you start a separate thread on this. It will get more attention that way.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 07:18:44 am »

Since you are already familiar with dBPoweramp, I see two options available through it:

1) If you still have the original WAV64 ripped files created by dBPoweramp, I believe that you could simply use batch converter to convert them all to FLAC with the same tagging (file info like album, artist, song, etc.) that was available at time of ripping. I suggest that if possible, you do this on the same PC/dBPoweramp install that was used to rip them originally.  You can specify the output folder with dynamic naming to put them in the Music folder that JRiver uses. As the new files will be FLAC which better support tagging, Media Center should have no/few issues importing them.

2) If the first option isn't possible or doesn't resolve the issues, you could re-rip the CDs using dBPoweramp as FLAC to the Music folder that JRiver uses. I assume that you had no issues previously with the CD drive disappearing. If possible I suggest ripping with more than one CD drive, alternating between each drive to minimize the chance of the drive  overheating. I found that when I was doing my big ripping process that the drives/cd got quite warm after several rips.

While I know that Media Center does/can do perfect rips, I still use dBPoweramp for ripping because I learned it first and the two programs co-exist without any issues in my experience.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 07:25:44 am »

Could you kindly advise after 1 or 2 rips of CD, I have to restart the computer so I can rip again, because JRiver couldn't see the CD was already in the drive. It happened over and over again. 
Antivirus?

CCFOK

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 01:56:55 am »

I come back from abroad, I thank all of you taking effort to help me.
Actually I am experimenting to rip some CD I thought of having good sound into 3 different formats to compare with, APC, WAV from JRiver and WAV64 from dbpoweramp with Windows.
I have no problem with the optic drive from my computer which I don't know the reason why.
The problem is,
When I rip CD using dbpoweramp with Windows, I have to search the CD of what I ripped under JRiver's Drives and Device from folder "music', then import into JRiver library.
It happens like this,
1. WAV 64 appears alone in the 'music' folder page
2. WAV, APC appear in the same page (perhaps APC might've previously been ripped)
3. WAV 64 & WAV appear in the same page (perhaps APC hasn't been ripped)
4. Then I have to click the WAV64 ripped tracks and import into JRiver library
Strange things happened,
1. Names of tracks in the JRiver before imported into library are not the same as what from the dbpoweram listing
2. When I use JRemote from my ipad to play music, it appears all the tracks have been rearranged in an alphabetical order, it's the most frustrating when I listen to classical music.
Personally, I think the WAV64 sounds superior, WAV the second, APC is quite different.
I will try FLAC later on to check if any difference with them.
I thank all of you in advance to thinking of any solution and assistance about my problem.
Kind regards,
Chung
Pages: [1]   Go Up