INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to migrate the Option Setting  (Read 4026 times)

hexid26

• Recent member
How to migrate the Option Setting
« on: September 20, 2016, 08:20:02 am »

I have 2 mac installed Media Center 22, a Mac Mini & macbook pro

I cost much time to config the Media Center on Mac Mini.
Is there a simple way to migrate all configuration from Mac Mini to my macbook?
I mean all configuration like "ZONE, DSP, LIBs" etc.

Thanks for some one to help me!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to migrate the Option Setting
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 08:34:51 am »

No matter what you do, you'll probably have to do some extra steps when moving a "full configuration" from one computer to another.

The best first step is to do a library backup on your Source computer and then a library restore on the Destination computer.  File > Library > Backup Library.  This will make a (small) file with all configuration parameters, as well as pointers to all of the media on disk.  Take that file to the Destination computer.  Then do File > Library > Restore Library .  Be sure to check the boxes for Library and Settings.

This should get most everything.  Of course you'll have to copy over your media files, or have them on a shared network drive or something.  But this should help you retain as many settings and library configurations as possible.

You might need to use the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool to update the location of your media files.  That's another discussion, but I'm happy to help you with it if necessary.

Good luck.

Brian.

hexid26

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 08:44:20 am »

Thanks. Your method is very easy. I just tried. It works. But another question.

On my macbook, every time I change a library, Media Center 22 quit with a window "Media Center 22 quit unexpectedly." On Mac mini, it work well.
So I want to uninstall Media Center totally. I use CleanMyMac to uninstall it and delete the directory "J River" under '~/Library/Application Support/'.
With reinstall the Media Center 22. However the issue exist still.

So, it there a draft about HOW TO uninstall Media Center totally. I consider that there are some files incorrect and I could find them.

hexid26

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 08:45:20 am »

Thanks. Your method is very easy. I just tried. It works. But another question.

On my macbook, every time I change a library, Media Center 22 quit with a window "Media Center 22 quit unexpectedly." On Mac mini, it work well.
So I want to uninstall Media Center totally. I use CleanMyMac to uninstall it and delete the directory "J River" under '~/Library/Application Support/'.

So, it there a draft about HOW TO uninstall Media Center totally. I consider that there are some files incorrect and I could find them.

No matter what you do, you'll probably have to do some extra steps when moving a "full configuration" from one computer to another.

The best first step is to do a library backup on your Source computer and then a library restore on the Destination computer.  File > Library > Backup Library.  This will make a (small) file with all configuration parameters, as well as pointers to all of the media on disk.  Take that file to the Destination computer.  Then do File > Library > Restore Library .  Be sure to check the boxes for Library and Settings.

This should get most everything.  Of course you'll have to copy over your media files, or have them on a shared network drive or something.  But this should help you retain as many settings and library configurations as possible.

You might need to use the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool to update the location of your media files.  That's another discussion, but I'm happy to help you with it if necessary.

Good luck.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 09:11:30 am »

I wouldn't use a third party utility like that.  I doubt it's even an issue with the MC installation itself.  That directory you typed above contains pretty much all of the configuration of MC that I am aware of.

The libraries themselves might be located in different directories, depending on where you created them.  By default, the Main library is under the directory structure you quoted above.  But you can create new ones where ever you please.  Maybe you have a damaged library?

You could create a fresh new library and import a backup from an old library as a test.

When you get that message, are you eventually able to get to the other library?  Or is that other library "stuck" and inaccessible?

Brian.

hexid26

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 09:34:08 am »

Thanks for reply.

I have tried some ways:
1. Delete all library from JRiver and disk. Create new library.
2. Use CleanMyMac3 delete JRiver app and delete 'JRiver' folder under 'Application Support'

The issue I didn't describe it clearly. Every time I load a different library, JRiver crashes, with a info window. But after I restart JRiver. It works, which means that JRiver already load the library I selected last time. In one sentence, I can load different library, but I must restart JRiver because it crashed every-time. No matter the library is local of from LAN, just load and crash...

So I want to reinstall JRiver totally. But I don't know how. Because there are too many related files in different folders which I don't know where it is.

I wouldn't use a third party utility like that.  I doubt it's even an issue with the MC installation itself.  That directory you typed above contains pretty much all of the configuration of MC that I am aware of.

The libraries themselves might be located in different directories, depending on where you created them.  By default, the Main library is under the directory structure you quoted above.  But you can create new ones where ever you please.  Maybe you have a damaged library?

You could create a fresh new library and import a backup from an old library as a test.

When you get that message, are you eventually able to get to the other library?  Or is that other library "stuck" and inaccessible?

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 09:39:17 am »

On the crash:

I've seen this happen before with MC21.  I've probably seen it at least 20 or 30 times; maybe more.  But it's occasional for me.  It doesn't happen every time.  Like you said, after the crash, when I restart MC, the library I wanted to switch to has been selected.  I don't switch libraries all that often.  Really, there are VERY FEW good reasons to even have separate libraries.

On uninstalling:  I'm no expert on this.  Glynor knows more.  The developers know more.  But I'm pretty sure that MC on the Mac consists of just a few pieces:  The actual app files which are in Applications.  The Library files, which can be anywhere, though the default is under ~/Library/Application Support/JRiver .  Finally, a number of configuration files which are under that same directory I just listed.

I think if you delete all 3 of these, you'll have a very clean uninstall.

I'm running OS X 10.9.5 and have had infrequent crashes of this type.  What version of OS X are you running?

Brian.

hexid26

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 10:35:35 am »

This is the time-line I update:

MacBook: OS 10.10  >  MC 21  >  MC 22                      Crash with library change
Mac Mini: OS 10.10  >  MC 21  >  OS 10.11  >  MC 22   Work Fine

On my MacBook, I just delete all files at
1. '~/Library/Application Support/J River'
2. MC22.app under /Application
3. All library files at other folders(some is in ~/Documents)

Then I reinstall the MC 22. I create a fresh library, and load the library from my Mac Mini (3 libraries: default, new, LAN). Works fine.
But after I restore 'settings' (I only checked 'settings' without library) use your method. The crash becomes...

Does the backup files only work correctly on the same computer?
I use backup zip from Mac Mini and restore my MacBook. The problems continues.

However I have many custom views, shortcuts, and etc. You know that configuration will cost so mush time...

On the crash:

I've seen this happen before with MC21.  I've probably seen it at least 20 or 30 times; maybe more.  But it's occasional for me.  It doesn't happen every time.  Like you said, after the crash, when I restart MC, the library I wanted to switch to has been selected.  I don't switch libraries all that often.  Really, there are VERY FEW good reasons to even have separate libraries.

On uninstalling:  I'm no expert on this.  Glynor knows more.  The developers know more.  But I'm pretty sure that MC on the Mac consists of just a few pieces:  The actual app files which are in Applications.  The Library files, which can be anywhere, though the default is under ~/Library/Application Support/JRiver .  Finally, a number of configuration files which are under that same directory I just listed.

I think if you delete all 3 of these, you'll have a very clean uninstall.

I'm running OS X 10.9.5 and have had infrequent crashes of this type.  What version of OS X are you running?

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up