INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playlists Empty After Restoring to a Different Drive  (Read 2230 times)

JimK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Playlists Empty After Restoring to a Different Drive
« on: September 20, 2016, 09:29:17 am »

I backed up my library and media files from my C: drive, installed a second drive (D:) and restored the media files to the D: drive. I restored my library, but my playlists are empty since they point to files in their original location on the C: drive. Where can I edit my playlists to change the file path so that the playlists repopulate?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playlists Empty After Restoring to a Different Drive
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 09:43:48 am »

I restored my library, but my playlists are empty since they point to files in their original location on the C: drive.

That shouldn't be.  Did you do File > Library > Restore library and use a backup from your other computer?  If so, you should have all of your playlists intact.  None of them will play because they can't find the files on the C: drive.  But they should be there; just with red minus signs on them, indicating "can't find file".

You might try turning off the fix broken links option just in case it's part of the problem:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > tasks > fix broken links > No

Where can I edit my playlists to change the file path so that the playlists repopulate?

Once you import your library backup from your other computer, all of the files will point to C: as you have indicated.  You can then use the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool to change their paths from C:\ to D:\ using the Find & Replace mode of the RM&C tool.

See the examples on this page for some help getting started:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Find_%26_Replace_Template

If you need more help, just ask.  RM&C is a wonderful tool, but it can be a tiny bit confusing the first few times you use it.

For your task, you want to use UPDATE ONLY mode, and the Find & Replace template only.  Uncheck Directories and Filename; they aren't needed for this particular task.

Good luck!

Brian.

JimK

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
Re: Playlists Empty After Restoring to a Different Drive
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 09:55:01 am »

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply Brian. Actually, what I had done was restore the library from a file backup and then opened the library from within MC. Just now I tried a library import from a backup within MC and the playlists now show up. All I have to do now is do the file/rename and I'll be all set.
Pages: [1]   Go Up