INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Persistent Crash Behaviour  (Read 2932 times)

churchmouse

• Recent member
Persistent Crash Behaviour
« on: September 20, 2016, 09:34:26 am »

First time poster here - I am trying out the trial of MC 22 for Mac.  All seemed well for the first few hours but now it simply crashes every 5 -10 minutes - whether I am trying to play anything or it is just "parked in neutral".

I have a series of crash logs, but I am not sure where they should be sent.

Any pointers?

Thanks,

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Persistent Crash Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 09:38:36 am »

The most common cause of crashes in MC is when MC is auto importing files, and it finds damaged or strange files and chokes when trying to import them.  The crash logs normally name the file that last caused it to crash.

As a test, you can disable auto import and see if MC remains stable beyond the 10 or 15 minute mark:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > run auto import in background > (uncheck)

If that turns out to be the cause, you can post the log zip file and we can check it out and try to find the offending file.

Brian.

churchmouse

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 09:45:24 am »

Brian, thanks. 

You could well be spot on - I checked each of the logs and it did seem to crash part way through an import, albeit a different track each time.

I will switch off auto-import and see how things go.

Regards,

David

churchmouse

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 10:58:41 am »

Stability appears to have returned. An hour of continuous play with no crash.

In reviewing the options I had checked "analyze audio" and it seems this may cause a panic somewhere.

Unchecked that option and all is good, but re-check it and within a few minutes MC crashes.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 11:15:19 am »

Good news!

What the crashes really mean is MC can't properly read some of your files.  These might be bad downloads, corrupted files, strangely authored/edited files, or the like. It's more common than you might expect.

You can look through the logs and start moving suspected "bad" files to a different place on disk.  I usually do a subdirectory at a time.  Then you can examine these files outside of MC and see if they play, if you like them, etc and determine what to do from there.  Each time I move a directory away, I restart MC and see if it crashes again.  You can usually find the offending files pretty quickly, unless you have an enormous library and/or a lot of bad files.

Good luck.

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 11:29:53 am »

If you can find the culprit file, please email a copy to matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

churchmouse

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 11:31:16 am »

Thanks, but the strange thing is that all of my files are "perfect-rips" using XLD.

I have had no issue with the files in the past using Audirvana, i-Tunes (with or without Bitperfect), Fidelia and PureMusic.

What is different about MC in reading/analysing these files?

I have taken a look at the various crash logs and then tried playing some of the files in MC where MC appeared to choke.  It played them without issue (with audio analyze unchecked).

My library is just under 1TB of AIFF files.

David
Pages: [1]   Go Up