INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to Point MC to a New External Drive  (Read 2082 times)

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
How to Point MC to a New External Drive
« on: September 20, 2016, 10:11:28 am »

I just installed a NAS (Network Accessible Storage) server.  I copied my entire music library over to the new external disk.  How do I get MC to see the new disk?  Will all my Playlists automatically be updated with new music file pointers when this is done?  The old music disk is still on my network and MC is still looking at it for the music files.  How do I get MC to look at my new disk?  Thanx .... Dan

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to Point MC to a New External Drive
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2016, 10:22:36 am »

After your move is complete, you can use the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool to tell MC that your files are in a different place.  The Find and Replace template is probably the right mode to use.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

Be sure to use the Preview pane before you click OK. Preview will show you what's going to happen *before* you do anything.

RM&C is a big tool. Ask if you need help with it.

Brian.

coffeethecat

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016, 10:59:40 am »

I have already copied all my music files from my old disk to my new external disk.  I did this using Windows Explorer.  Are you saying that MC needs to do the actual COPY to the new disk?  Is there a way that JMRC can learn where my music files are located on the new disk without destroying all my Playlists etc?

Thanx ... dan

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016, 11:12:44 am »

Copying or moving files with Windows Explorer, or other file tools is just fine.

The Rename, Move, and Copy files tools does more than just Copy or Move files.  It's also able to update MC's internal file pointers.  So you can tell MC that C:\Pink Floyd\DSOTM\1.flac is now in Z:\Music\Pink Floyd\DSOTM\1.flac .  This is usually done with the Find and replace template, which is why I linked you to that article.  So you could see an example or two of how it works.

If you can specifically show us the old and new locations of your music files, I can help you develop the right RM&C template to update MC's file pointers and have it find everything again.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2016, 12:52:26 pm »

The wiki has a topic called Moving Files.
Pages: [1]   Go Up