INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renaming files and/or updating tags failing due to MC locking files?  (Read 2940 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

I use WMC to record TV and when I later ingest that content in to MC I rename and move the file using MC. I've been experiancing the following two issues:
  • Every time I do this and the rename works, the next tag update (usually from analyzing files) fails.
  • Less common, the rename fails. MC thinks the file name has changed but the 'tag update' process fails.

I was assuming that another program was interfering so I pulled down Process Explorer to see what was going on. Right now MC is sitting there failing the 'tag update' process after renaming the files. MC thinks the files are renamed and in their new location but they are still sitting in their original location.

Process explorer shows that each of the files is only opened by "Media Center 22.exe" twice for each file.

Attached is an example. Any thoughts as to what might be going on? Is MC failing to write the changes because MC already has the file opened for some other reason?

------------------------------
Update:
Killed MC and restarted. This time the rename worked. Checked Process Explorer and it had the file open twice during the rename process (per the attachment).
After the rename I checked Process Explorer and nothing had the file open.
I ran 'Analyze Audio' on the file. During the analysis, MC had the file open twice. After the analysis, the file shows open 4 times by MC in Process Explorer and the attempted update tags is failing.

A little more information:
Whenever the 'update tags' after audio analysis fails, killing MC, reopening, and using 'update tags from library' always works.

rft183

• Recent member
Re: Renaming files and/or updating tags failing due to MC locking files?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2016, 02:22:22 pm »

I don't know if it's the same thing or not, but since the latest update (22.0.28), I have been having problems with tag updates.  I have mine set to increment the "Number Plays" by one after playing a music track.  I've been getting errors saying that the tag update has failed, and suggesting that my file may be open in another program or marked read-only.  I'd never had this error before the latest update.  Like yours, if I close and reopen MC and do an "Update Tags (From Library)" it will not give the error.

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2016, 02:57:20 pm »

I have been having problems with tag updates.  I have mine set to increment the "Number Plays" by one after playing a music track.

What does that mean?  What program is "set to increment"?  MC updates the [Number Plays] field as part of playing a file.  Are you using an external program to do tag updates for some reason?

Brian.

rft183

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 03:20:12 pm »

What does that mean?  What program is "set to increment"?  MC updates the [Number Plays] field as part of playing a file.  Are you using an external program to do tag updates for some reason?

Brian.
MC is what I am using to update the "Number Plays" field.  It has begun giving an error message about it not being able to update the tag.

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2016, 03:41:34 pm »

MC is what I am using to update the "Number Plays" field.  It has begun giving an error message about it not being able to update the tag.

But how are you doing it?  Manually?  I don't know of any way of scheduling tag updates based on actions or other tags.  Again, MC itself updates the [Number Plays] field.  So I'm pretty confused by what you're saying.  I'm sure I'm missing something.

Brian.

rft183

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2016, 03:49:48 pm »

But how are you doing it?  Manually?  I don't know of any way of scheduling tag updates based on actions or other tags.  Again, MC itself updates the [Number Plays] field.  So I'm pretty confused by what you're saying.  I'm sure I'm missing something.

Brian.
MC automatically updates the "Number Plays" field in the library, but doesn't automatically write it to the tag.  I set it so that it does write it to the tag (In Tools -->Options -->Library & Folders --...Manage Library Fields and then selecting the "Number Plays" field, and checking the "Save in file tags (when possible) checkbox), and have been using it that way for a few years.  Just today, it has started giving me an error about updating the tags.  It doesn't do it for every song I play, but enough to get annoying.

I don't know if it is something with the 22.0.28 update or if it is just coincidence, but it worked fine until today.

Update:  It seems that it is for my m4a files that MC is not writing to the tags anymore.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 05:45:42 pm »

This has been happening to me for the last several versions and I have assumed it was just WMC or some other process causing the problems. The fact that MC has the file opened multiple times by the same process is what is having me scratch my head here - is that normal?

Unless a Dev or someone can chime in with thoughts, my next troubleshooting step will be to fully delete and reinstall MC and see if that behavior changes.

rft183

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 09:26:53 am »

Hi BartMan01,

I believe my problem was a different one from yours, so I have made my own thread.  Sorry to distract people from yours  :-[

-Russel

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 10:22:42 pm »

Still fighting with this issue. Files only show as being locked by MC causing MC to fail operations. Actions outside of MC on those same files work just fine even when MC fails due to files being 'in use' and in all cases completely closing and reopening MC allows the files to be updated properly.

I've tried unistalling/reinstalling MC, no change in behavior.

Any suggestions on troubleshooting this?
Pages: [1]   Go Up