INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Properties - select list - lists EVERYTHING  (Read 1595 times)

gkerber

Properties - select list - lists EVERYTHING
« on: July 30, 2003, 01:24:46 pm »

In Properties (undocked) when I select a couple of tracks and then try to edit a field, the select list seems to show anything in the whole database for that field.  Previous versions of MC and MJ only showed what was was in that field FOR THE SELECTED ITEMS.

For example, try editing the Artist field, all artists in the whole db are shown, which takes a long time to get through.

I liked the old way better.  is this a bug or program functionality change?

Jaguu

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Properties - select list - lists EVERYTHING
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2003, 01:33:26 pm »

Well, this is probably related to the fact that we now have all tag values at our disposition for tagging inside the panes!

gkerber

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2003, 01:40:09 pm »

Well, this is probably related to the fact that we now have all tag values at our disposition for tagging inside the panes!

Is that a good or bad thing?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2003, 02:10:19 pm »

Actually, it used to show the values for the selected files at the top of the list, then there was a divider, and then the values of every other file.

That was really nice. You got the best of both worlds.

Why was that changed? I'd really like to see that go back to the way it was before.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2003, 02:31:56 pm »

Someone complained about being able to select the "----" dividing line.  There was no simple fix, so...

Anyway, it'll be back next build.

Two questions:

1) should the panes work this way
2) should the second list be smart enough to not list things in the first like the properties window (this could cause a little performance hit)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

gkerber

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2003, 02:46:24 pm »

Someone complained about being able to select the "----" dividing line.  There was no simple fix, so...

1) should the panes work this way

No opinion - lets wait to hear from the pane users.
2) should the second list be smart enough to not list things in the first like the properties window (this could cause a little performance hit)

Doesn't matter, so I'd guess lets for for the most efficient.

Thanks.

Omni

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2003, 03:08:15 pm »

Um, I think "complained" is way too strong of a describe what I was just pointing out to be a bug.  ::)

Speaking as Windows programmer, I find it hard to imagine that there is no simple fix:  when you get the selection change event message, just ignore it and reset the selection back to the current value if was the divider item. <shrug>  Then again,  I don't know how you implemented your GUI control  logic, so maybe in your implementation, that's not doable. <again, shrug>

Oh, well,  sorry I brought it up.  It won't happen again.  I officially retract the "complaint" (your wording).

Omni

Marko

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2003, 03:13:41 pm »

It was here.....
http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=MediaCenter;action=display;num=1059430553;start=37#37

And the original post, before editing, said "please don't remove the divider" ;):)

I'd rather have it selectable than not at all. It's quicker than tagging mode if there's a track near the "to be edited" one that contains the tag you want. Select them both, drop the list, pick the tag from the top of the list.

A.1 If the panes could work like this it would be nice. It's a feature I missed very quickly, just so long as it comes back. :)

A.2 I'm not sure. I've tried the new tagging mode recently and still wind up doing most of it in the properties pane. If I have a huge list of genres for example, it's easier for me to drop the list in the properties pane, type a few letters, and the genre comes to me, whereas in tagging mode, I gotta go find it. Also, for what it's worth, I set up a view scheme using recently imported, loaded up 8 columns that *must* have entries and be correct. I love it, it goes..
location/filetype/artist/album/date/comment/genre/imagefile and I work till all the unassigned's are gone, then move to where they really should be. With 8 columns, all those tick boxes look really 'orrible. Any chance of the tag icons returning?
That "warning" needs attention too. It's unreadable in my 8 pane setup, and if there are already files selected, it doesn't show at all. (I'm thinking of new users here, I'm personally quite happy not to have to clear a dialogue every time I enter tagging mode ;) )

apologies for rambling a bit.
-marko

Marko

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2003, 03:15:13 pm »

ya beat me omni :)

and I just caught sight of this...
14. Changed: Put file properties combo list back to how it was in 9.1.223 and before.

which answers some of the above. What I get for reading from the bottom, up :D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2003, 03:47:56 pm »

Um, I think "complained" is way too strong of a describe what I was just pointing out to be a bug.  

Whoa -- I didn't mean anything bad by that.  I was trying to underscore how pathetic I was for not fixing it right.  

So sorry if that came out wrong.  It's awesome how helpful you (and lots of other people around here) are with helping us find and fix bugs.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nila

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2003, 05:45:45 pm »

I like everything listed - in fact that's a lie - I LOVE everything listed - a divider to show only the values in the current view might help people but for me - tagging with only some values is a HUGE pain and It's tooo nice with all values :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up