INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 Anniversary Woes  (Read 3781 times)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Windows 10 Anniversary Woes
« on: September 23, 2016, 01:10:47 am »

Thought I had that thing sufficiently hidden... I was wrong.

Came home a couple of days ago to find it had auto-updated itself and I had no audio.

Tried all the usual stuff, uninstalling the X-Fi soundcard, reinstalling the drivers sourced direct from Creative, all to no avail. I simply cannot get ASIO to work now.

The best I have managed is optical via SPDIF, which only kind of works.
No system sounds. I get an annoying muffled electric 'tick' where the sound should start and another where it should stop. That's it.
Same with MC, start playback, get annoying tick, miss the first few seconds of track as it fades in, another annoying tick on pressing stop.
Microsoft Money doesn't exit cleanly and is always left running in the processes list... is it trying to play some sound or other?
I have been unable to get this thing to emit sound any other way.

I'm quite ticked off about this.
I figure I have two choices here...
1. Roll back to the last system image (I found this morning that since the update, all my schedule imaging tasks have failed. I use Macrium Reflect)
2. Try the media creation tool and a clean installation of Anniversary.

Do I have any other options?
My preferred is to roll back to my last system image and try to prevent the update from happening. I'm nervous about that though, because presumably, the last image I have will include the scheduled update, and I'm not sure how to stop that, if I even can?

What a mess.

marko

• MC Beta Team
Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Woes
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 02:08:01 am »

So, I rolled back. I don't want to be clean installing right now. It's time consuming and not enjoyable.

Now, to stop it from auto updating again...

Do you think this thing actually works?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

richard s

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 10:09:58 am »

Since Windows 10 anniversary update, my cd/dvd drive is non functional. The drive recognizes no disc as present in drive, screen goes opaque. I use latest version of ANYDVD HD for blue rays. All my settings seem fine, but could it be cd/dvd drive itself? There is no indication in device manager that it is defective. All my music files work fine.

This is my first post to JRiver. I hope I am posting correctly.  I've checked around settings as far as I dare. and rather a newbie at this. I'm 74 yrs old. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 11:11:06 am »

Welcome to the forum.

It's possible that it's the drive, but it's more likely OS related.  You could try a search at microsoft.com and on the Internet to see what you can learn.

Does any other software work with it?  Windows Media Player, for example?

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 07:48:26 am »

Well, there we go. A clean install and two days of setting everything back up, and we have sound again.

I forgot all about the HTPC, which ran the anniversary update during the night last night... Jesus!

I've not had a proper look yet, but virtually all of my carefully crafted remote control buttons have stopped working.

Microsoft realy dropped the ball with this one eh? In a quite spectacular fashion :(

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 11:15:01 am »

HTPC's not too bad. That's it up and running. Seems to be OK... except that milkdrop is causing it to crash when you press 'stop'. Music stops and the full screen milkdrop just freezes there until Windows terminates MC due to it's lack of response...

This is a shame. I like mikdrop. I wonder if it would help if I ran the directx runtime installer again.... I doubt it. Might try later, I'm all troubleshooted out for now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up