INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving location of Library File  (Read 3111 times)

Grayson54

• Recent member
Moving location of Library File
« on: September 24, 2016, 03:15:55 pm »

I have moved my music files to use Google Drive as a backup.  To do this, I bought a new hard drive.  Setup Google Drive on that drive and transferred all my music files to the new location. 

Now, I want to get the JRiver library files there as well.  This will allow them to automatically backup in case of system failure, theft or other disaster.

I want to move the library file
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 22\Library
to:
N:\Google Drive\J River\Media Center 22\Library

Can anyone tell me how to do that?

Thanks,
G

SYSTEM:  JRiver 23 Media Center for PC  ///  PC: PowerSpec B724 running Win 10  ///  PreAmp/DAC: Classe CP-800  ///  Amp: Carver M200  ///  Spkrs: Totem Fires/JL F110 subs.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving location of Library File
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 03:33:45 pm »

It's probably easiest to Clone your library to a new location.  Then, eventually, remove the old original library.  File > Library > Library Manager > (select your library) > Clone Library .

I would probably do something like:

1.  Clone main library to new location.  Make it's name have something like "new location" or some other words to tell you easily that this is the new library on your new drive.
2.  Switch to that library and verify that everything works.
3.  Change the name of the old, original library to have words like "old drive" or something like that in it's title, so it's really obvious which library is which.
4.  Wait some short amount of time to use the new library and make sure it's perfect.
5.  Delete the old original library.
6.  Rename the new library so that it's just "Main Library".

Brian.

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 03:51:35 pm »

Thanks.  Will give it a try. 

One other thing. In my first attempts, I tried to do backup and restore.  It just recreated it in the same C: location.

I did it wrong somehow, and created a bunch of duplicates of the same database entries (the same song twice).

Is it possible to clean these all out at once? Or do I have to go through and do it manually?

Thanks,
George
SYSTEM:  JRiver 23 Media Center for PC  ///  PC: PowerSpec B724 running Win 10  ///  PreAmp/DAC: Classe CP-800  ///  Amp: Carver M200  ///  Spkrs: Totem Fires/JL F110 subs.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 04:00:19 pm »

I'm not sure exactly what you did, so it's hard to say.  Maybe the easiest thing would be to restore a backup from a few days ago.  MC makes them automatically, so you should have several backups to choose from.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 08:53:46 pm »

While all of the above is fine and will work, it means that your library files will be on an external drive, which is going to be slower than an internal drive, in most cases. Especially if you have a fast SSD in the PC as a boot drive, and that is where the library has resided until now.

My advice in your situation would be to leave the original library where it is, and just change the location that MC backs up the library to, using the setting at Option>File Location>Program files>Library Backups. That way, while the library itself isn't backed up to Google Drive, all backups of the library are backed up to Google drive. As the backups happen automatically on a regular basis, this will give you a backup almost as recent as if you were directly backing up the library.

Also, if you have Google Drive doing incremental backups near real time (I'm not sure it can be set up this way, but OneDrive can, so I assume it can), every time a file changes, then the Google Drive backup process is going to be very busy, and may interfere with MC, as it locks files to do the backup. If you have Google Drive set up to just do a copy once a day, this would probably not be an issue.

TL;DR. Change the location of the MC library backup to your external drive, not the location of the library itself.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Grayson54

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 10:55:25 pm »

Thanks RoderickGI.  You may be right about the library location, but the Google Drive is on a second internal drive.

But, the point of the backup and leaving the Main Library on the C drive seems a good idea.  We want Google Drive to provide backup for the large music files collection.  The library can be maintained via backup. 

Thanks for the idea. Solves several problems.

G

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 07:10:33 am »

I agree with Roderick's suggestion.  Good idea!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up