INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC22 crashes with Albums over 12 tracks  (Read 4299 times)

KSO3

• Recent member
MC22 crashes with Albums over 12 tracks
« on: September 25, 2016, 04:35:01 pm »

This is un-scientific, but it appears to me that every album I try to play that has more than 12 tracks causes MC22.22 to crash.  So, albums like The New Basement Tapes that have 18 tracks, MC22.22 crashes every time.   Same with Bruce Springsteen albums with 17 tracks. 

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC22 crashes with Albums over 12 tracks
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2016, 04:39:23 pm »

I've got a good number of albums with more than 12 tracks.  I've added 3 new ones with more than 12 tracks in the past 3 weeks.  MC has no issues with them.

Can you describe what process you are using and when MC crashes?  Many MC crashes are caused by bad files while MC is auto importing and/or doing analyze audio.

Brian.

KSO3

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2016, 05:19:20 pm »

I've loaded about 15000 tracks, they have been ripped with either iTunes or XLD.  They are all Aiff files.  It's the same libraries that I've used to load MC21.  They all work fine in MC21.  My guess is the size of the album.  Just after writing the message, I did get a Beth Orton Album to play, it has 14 tracks.  If you have The New Basement Tapes, Jazz at the Pawn Shop, The Doors (live in NY) This album doesn't have so many tracks but the last song, The End, is 17 minutes long.  They all cause it to immediately crash.   Is there a setting for how much memory MC22 is allocated?  My Mac Mini has 16gb of RAM. 

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 08:58:14 am »

I don't have any AIFF files.  My library is mostly FLACs.  I've never had an issue with an album with lots of tracks or with long tracks.  I have numerous examples of both and have no trouble selecting or playing them.

For mysterious crashes, it can be helpful to enable logging.  Then after the crash, do "submit log file" to create a ZIP with the log contents and post it here on the forum.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Logging

This might also have something to do with your playback equipment.  Or your storage.  What are you playing back to ?  Meaning, is it a USB DAC, or a network device of some sort, or.... ?

What storage are you using?  Internal disk, external disk, NAS, etc.

Brian.

KSO3

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 09:42:27 am »

Here's the log.  My system hasn't changed at all except for trying MC22.22:

I use PS Audio's LanRover to send the usb data to my audio system.  The LanRover receiver goes into a iFi Micro (Spdif converter) into a spdif input on a Dodson 217mkii dac.  This all works perfectly fine with MC21.

Attached is the log. 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 09:51:33 am »

This is the last line in the log:
0114624: 2039463936: Database: CDataHolder::Load: Field: Comment; Files: 13921; Pointer bytes: 18224; Data bytes: 16488; Elapsed ms: 0.202

What happens if you add the "Comment" field to your display?  Does that crash or work fine?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 09:59:08 am »

I looked through the log and saw that you tried to play track 1 of the basement tapes.  After that there are a dozen lines and the log ends.  I'm assuming it crashed right after.

I'm not very good at these log files; perhaps a developer might have something to say about it.  See below for a few more comments.

My system hasn't changed at all except for trying MC22.22:

I recall that something changed with DLNA support in MC22.  Something about "broken" renderers now get treated differently, which has some side effects on playback.  Maybe this is one of them?  Maybe not.

I use PS Audio's LanRover to send the usb data to my audio system.  The LanRover receiver goes into a iFi Mircro (Spdif converter) into a spdif input on a Dodson 217mkii dac.

That's fairly complicated, but I get it.  I'm guessing your Mac and your DAC are very far apart physically?  Is that why you are using the LanRover?  I ask because DLNA can cause issues.  If you *can* direct connect (like with USB), then that's a better way of doing things in my opinion.  Like connecting the Ifi directly to your Mac and then to your DAC.  This would eliminate DLNA as part of the problem.

This all works perfectly fine with MC21.

I'm just guessing, but maybe the DLNA changes in MC22 are why this is happening.  Do you have another audio device you could try as a test?  The built in sound card maybe?  Or can you hook up the ifi directly to your Mac and use that as your audio device?

Brian.

KSO3

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 10:18:49 am »

I could run off of an attached usb external drive - but it seems I still need dlna to use JRemote.  The system crashes either way...whether I use JRemote or select the song from MC22's user interface.  Yes, I use Lanrover so I can keep my music server separate from my audio....got tired of hearing the Windows Laptop noises, even with an ssd (darn fan).  And, the sound quality improved using LanRover instead of directly feeding the computer usb into the iFi Micro.   I'll add, the sound quality of MC22 is significantly better than MC21!

The music is stored on an NAS device.  I'm not intentionally trying to use DLNA...as I load MC21 with that device.  I could create a backup of MC21's library, and try recovering it.  Would that accomplish anything as MC21 works fine with all of this?

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 10:32:25 am »

I would try what Matt said first.  Then, if that doesn't yield any progress, we can go down the rabbit hole on these other possibilities.  I think Matt suspects that your database is corrupted.  But I'm just guessing.

Brian.

KSO3

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 11:40:21 am »

Looks like Matt was correct.  I restored my MC21 library in MC22 and it's working just fine...with limited testing, the things that caused it to crash are now playing.  Thanks for the help! 

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 12:20:00 pm »

Looks like Matt was correct.  I restored my MC21 library in MC22 and it's working just fine...with limited testing, the things that caused it to crash are now playing.  Thanks for the help!

I don't suppose you kept a copy of that library around did you?  I'd sure love to see it if you have it.  I'm matt at jriver dot com.  Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

KSO3

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 03:25:31 pm »

I think I can easily re-create it.  I've had this problem ever since I installed MC22 - and reloaded the library several times. 

KSO3

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 03:54:22 pm »

I believe this back-up was created when I re-loaded the library yesterday.
Pages: [1]   Go Up