INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need advice on a DAC  (Read 3604 times)

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
Need advice on a DAC
« on: September 28, 2016, 08:10:02 pm »

So I have now moved some older studio monitors (Yorkville YSM2P's) and a laptop into the garden shed (man cave), where I can listen to all my music (files stored on external drive). Question is: I need a good but inexpensive DAC out there to make everything sound good but without wasting too much beer money. I would prefer:

1. a volume control on the DAC

2. two OUTS for the monitors, but no headphone OUT needed

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need advice on a DAC
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 06:29:44 am »

Not sure how deep your pockets are but this piece of Schiit might suit:
http://schiit.com/products/jotunheim

You just spec it so that it comes with the DAC module.

Here's another possibility:
http://nadelectronics.com/products/digital-music/D-1050-USB-DAC
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

DJLegba

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 07:47:34 am »

My brother-in-law has the NAD. I believe the volume control is for the headphone output only. Also, if Windows goes to sleep mode the NAD isn't available on wake-up unless he reboots the computer. That probably won't be an issue for your notebook in the shed.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 10:19:05 am »

Take a look at the Henry Audio USB DAC mkII. I have one. It gets great reviews compared to the price.

It works well with MC and even has a description on how to set-up MC. It does not have a volume control, but is fairly inexpensive.

rsg

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 12:47:51 pm »

What about the Audioengine D1? I understand that the volume works for either headphones or speakers (default is speakers, but when headphones are plugged in, the volume works for them instead), and it has two speaker OUTS.

Anybody using it?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 02:49:22 pm »

What about the Audioengine D1? I understand that the volume works for either headphones or speakers (default is speakers, but when headphones are plugged in, the volume works for them instead), and it has two speaker OUTS.

Anybody using it?

Of course. I'd forgotten that it's fitted with a pair of RCA outs. I've used one at work for a headphone DAC/Amp. I listen to music with the portable version of MC. A good little soldier. No complaints.

Never used the RCA out option, so can't comment there.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Zhillsguy

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2016, 01:59:24 pm »

So I have now moved some older studio monitors (Yorkville YSM2P's) and a laptop into the garden shed (man cave), where I can listen to all my music (files stored on external drive). Question is: I need a good but inexpensive DAC out there to make everything sound good but without wasting too much beer money. I would prefer:

1. a volume control on the DAC

2. two OUTS for the monitors, but no headphone OUT needed

All previous suggestions are solid, but you could buy a lot more beer if you get the Behringer UMC202HD for around $50, probably near the top of the list for 'bang for the buck':
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEHRINGER-UMC202HD-2x2-24bit-192-khz-Recording-USB-Audio-Interface-MIDAS-preamp-/172119524890?hash=item28131f861a
I own one and it appears solid and sounds great.
Ryzen 5 W11 x64 MC 29 HTPC/Server and HP G2 Mini Elitedesk W11 MC 29 (music only zone), various Android Phones and Tablets for control of both, powering two lanai surround systems, 5.1 and 4.1 respectively.

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2016, 05:22:24 pm »

I admit to having a little bit of bias against Behringer.  I've heard lots and lots of bad things about the sound quality.  One of the employees at Guitar Center told me, a few years ago, that Behringer sounds like the name "Bey (hacking sound) Rin Jer".

If you just have to have the cheapest thing made, they are the ticket.  Otherwise, why not buy something a little nicer?

Just my admittedly biased opinion.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up