INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EQ Lossy or Lossless  (Read 2015 times)

octobermusic

EQ Lossy or Lossless
« on: September 30, 2016, 03:40:17 am »

When using JRiver Parametric EQ does the entire audio bit perfect data become lossy or just the frequency band where you are applying the EQ? For example, I want to reduce 50Hz by 6db. Obviously there will be some conversion and loss at 50Hz but what about the rest of the frequencies where no eq is applied? I want my audio to be bit perfect above 50Hz.

I only ever play Apple Lossless 16/44.1 files.

Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: EQ Lossy or Lossless
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 07:25:00 am »

"Lossy" refers to how digital files are stored.  The format.  Lossy file formats process the digital data and *intentionally* REMOVE some of the data.  That data is thrown away.  This makes the resulting file smaller than the raw data.  MP3, AAC, and other formats are lossy.

Lossless formats (like FLAC and ALAC) do not throw away ANY data.  They have all of the data.

Now, when you play back any of these formats with MC and apply EQ, the resulting data is changed from the original.  This process is not the same as "lossy compression" that is applied to MP3s.  It's just a digital transformation that changes the sound, in a non-lossy way.

Any time you apply EQ, you are changing the sound data; maybe in a good way, maybe in a bad way.  There's no concept of "part of the sound" being bit perfect.  Either you change it with EQ or you don't change it.  As soon as you apply any kind of EQ, volume change, etc, the entire bandwidth of the data is changed and is no longer bit perfect.

So, apply EQ and see if you like it.  You can always turn it off if you don't.

Brian.

octobermusic

Re: EQ Lossy or Lossless
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 01:59:31 pm »

Brian, great answer, thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up