INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Memory Leak MC22?  (Read 2252 times)

Jong

• Citizen of the Universe
Memory Leak MC22?
« on: September 30, 2016, 06:32:41 am »

Hi everyone.

My Media Server tends to run for weeks between reboots and I have found after a few days Windows instructs me to close Media Center due to its excessive memory usage. This happens even when the PC is not actively being used, just sitting in standby and occasional waking for housekeeping.

This never happened with previous versions and with 8GB RAM running very little else really should not be. Until this morning I was on your "Stable" update channel, but I have now updated to the latest to see if things improve. However, I didn't see anything in the release notes to suggest they will.

Anyone else seen this? Any thoughts? Any logs I can provide that might help?

millst

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Memory Leak MC22?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 11:49:12 am »

I'm on 22 and haven't noticed anything. I leave it running all the time and rarely close it. Only taking 33.5MB now, but I rebooted yesterday because of a Windows patch.

-tm

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 10:25:57 am »

This can happen if a file in your Auto-Import Watched Directories is corrupt and the import analysis gets stuck on it.

If you have Process Explorer installed (if not, you can download and install it because it is free and very handy), you can use it to check what handles the Media Center process has open. Launch MC and let it run a while until it consumes a bit of RAM. Then, use Process Explorer to see what specific handles MC has open at any moment. If you see a ton of handles for a single file (or set of them), then there is a good chance those files are broken in some way.

If you find a file that otherwise seems to be fine but which trips up MC's Auto-Import, the JRiver developers would typically love to get a copy of it to see what is causing it to go sideways. In all cases I've ever seen, it was because the file was horribly borked and needed to be deleted.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Jong

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 11:16:14 am »

Thanks. Got Process Explorer. I'll look into that.
Pages: [1]   Go Up