INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Phillips Hue  (Read 5223 times)

brendonp

• Recent member
Phillips Hue
« on: October 02, 2016, 09:08:31 pm »

Hi Jim/JR guys - I'm a regular MediaCenter user and have been using OpenHab for the last year or so for automation.   I've played around with Engen a bit (less than an hour, but still) and like the idea of integrating some of the scheduling from MC and perhaps moving forwards with it for more regular use (I'm  buying a licence regardless - you guys do good work, and I don't mind supporting even if I end up not using Engen/OneRemote/etc).

I do have one request - Phillips Hue support.  I saw a comment farther down about Z-Wave vs Zigbee, etc, etc, and frankly I'm not sure that it matters that much; and there are lots of Hue bulbs floating around, which makes for a decent business case.

Phillips Hue also happens to provide a decent web api - it took me all of 15-20 minutes to do basic control of my bulbs through Fiddler (you need access to add JSON strings to the body of the message in a PUT, but GET commands can be executed from a browser - unfortunately these seem to be mostly informational).  There's also a "sync" issue - ie, press the sync button, fire off a GET command, and get a registered API key for all your URLs....

I suspect that wrapping the Hue API then redelivering would not be a terrible amount of effort - I've noted some wrappers on GitHub that would make this very quick indeed, if one exists within the same language that you are using from Engen.

I'm also happy to volunteer a bit of time to help out on the technical side (coding/architecture/research/advice) if you are interested.

Cheers,

Brendon

brendonp

• Recent member
Re: Phillips Hue
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 09:11:43 pm »

Meh.   Speaking of research:

I see that Engen is Python.  Here's your Hue wrapper for python:

https://github.com/quentinsf/qhue

Apparently "lightweight", and updated roughly 3 months ago - modern enough.

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 10:39:01 am »

I would love to have Philips Hue integration.

John

audunth

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 07:12:17 am »

Me too! :-)
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 07:45:03 am »

Hue uses Zigbee, not Z-Wave. 

audunth

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 02:33:22 pm »

Hi,

Peeking back into this forum for the first time in a few years... any update on this?

I think what the OP suggested was to program the Philips Hue api into Engen to talk to the Hue bulbs through the Hue Bridge, not throught the Z-Wave stick. If Philips Hue was using Z-Wave, it would already be compatible like any other Z-Wave lights.

At least this is how I understand it.

Anyway would love to be able to control my Hue lights from Theater View, and Engen seems like an easy way to do it :)
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC
Pages: [1]   Go Up