INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC22 Playing/Bitstreaming DTS WAV crashes MC  (Read 3992 times)

taltalon

• Recent member
MC22 Playing/Bitstreaming DTS WAV crashes MC
« on: October 03, 2016, 02:22:30 am »

Folks,
i'm on MC 22 latest release. MacBook Pro connected via Optical Toslink to my DTS reciever.
I set Bit streaming to S/PDIF. everything works fine BUT playing some DTS CDs that i have that are WAVE file (or .DTS renamed to WAV) - MC just explodes.
I need MC to send the data of the WAVE file unchanged to the receiver.
I set the Output format = to NONE = no conversions, no encoding.

What happens is the moment i play such a file - MC says "opening"... i see the Mac OS Speaker icon on main Mac OS menubar flicker very fast
and then MC explodes and crash.

iTunes play the WAV files without a problem, and i get full DTS on my receiver.
Audrivana+ = works flawlessly.

MC 22 = blows up.

Mac Audio MIDI setting for the Optical out is either 16/44khz or 24/44khz.

Help

Thanks
tal

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC22 Playing/Bitstreaming DTS WAV crashes MC
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 08:50:25 am »

From what I've read, DTS encoded CD rips should "just work" with MC.  I don't have any to test with, so I can't be sure.

You said "some" of your DTS CD rips make MC crash.  Does that mean that some of them play properly?

This is kind of silly, but I wonder if the file extension is causing an issue.  I've read that .wav or .dts should work.  You might try renaming a couple of files to .dts and see if that makes any difference.

Sorry I can't offer any more concrete help on this.

Brian.

taltalon

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 12:56:03 pm »

All DTS CDs that i have crash MC 22 - all have the WAV extension. gonna try with renaming those to .DTS

taltalon

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2016, 12:59:15 pm »

Took one WAV DTS CD track and renamed it to .dts - MC 22 explodes. something here is not working...

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 01:02:25 pm »

As I said, I don't have any DTS CDs to test with.  If you want to post one or two tracks to a file hosting service (like Drop Box for example), I'll import a few and test them on my system.

Maybe someone else with more DTS CD experience has something to say on this matter...

Brian.

taltalon

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 12:54:25 am »

here you go guys - i share Sting's Shape of My Heart DTS WAV.
Cant play this on MC22 on the Mac...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9l0cfczablvtp1a/15.%20Shape%20of%20My%20Heart.wav?dl=0

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 07:01:38 am »

I have imported that file and successfully played it.  However, I do not currently use an AVR or other device that decodes DTS.  MC decodes everything for me.  It apparently can read this as DTS, as it plays to my sound card and then to powered speakers without issue.

I tried turning on bitstreaming (Custom > DTS) but MC seemed to ignore it.  I think it's because, on playback, MC considers this to be a WAV file.  Which is odd because when I look at the file Tags, it says it is a WAV type file with Compression type of DTS.

I'm doing this testing on MC for MC 22.0.30 .

I'm guessing things would be different over a SPDIF connection? (which I'm not using)

Maybe try turning off bitstreaming as a test.  Though I'm not sure what will happen since this file presumably will decode to 6 channel PCM, which is too much bandwidth to be sent via SPDIF.  Hmm.  I'm not sure what the right configuration for this is.

Brian.

DJLegba

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 08:12:14 am »

I managed to make MC 22.0.28 Windows blow up with this file. My DAC is 2-channel only, but I changed MC to "source number of channels". When I tried to play the file I got a dialog box telling me my device doesn't support the number of channels required, and suggesting I switch to 2-channel playback. However, I was unable to close the dialog. And the Windows task bar showed many instances of the dialog. I killed the MC process and rebooted. This may be a completely different bug, but I don't have any other multi-channel files to test with.

taltalon

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2016, 12:51:46 am »

Guys, you *MUST* have an S/PDIF and a DTS receiver to test that DTS WAV i shared.
I know it plays fine if you let MC decode it, but then i do not get the DTS multi channel audio.
If i set MC to no Encoding and Speaker setting to meet the source number of channel as i the WAV - MC explodes.
if i set the speakers to 5.1 and the encoding to none = it explodes.
ANY possible combination = explodes, as long as S/PDIF and this DTS WAV is present.......

Works fine in iTunes ! works fine in A+. MC has a severe bug here that it does NOT send the WAVE file as is to the audio receiver.

i tested on MC21 as well - it does not explode. it just goes to 2 channel audio no matter what i set up. i am on MacOS Sierra.

taltalon

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2016, 01:20:29 am »

FOLKS - I THINK WE HAVE A SOLUTION !!!!!

As i have many WAV files for DTS-CDs, i now packed them up using ALAC so i can tag them and add album artwork  - ALAC is like FLAC.
When ALAC decompress its the original WAV.
DTS-CD WAV packed in ALAC retain their multi channel data, the WAV appears as a 2 channel audio but inside there are 6 channels.
iTunes play them fine and so is VLC.

So i tried in MC22.0.22 and it works !!!  - it sends the ALAC data and the DTS logo appears on the receiver. i also got all the multi channel audio ( i have some test files).

Seems that MC has serious issue with handling WAV files that contain multi channel audio....iTunes and A+ know how to deal with such WAVs..

Tal

rovo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 05:54:20 am »

I play a lot of DTS-encoded wave files. Works for me. Never had an issue.

-R
Pages: [1]   Go Up