INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Show titles in genre list  (Read 2935 times)

CHaun

• World Citizen
Show titles in genre list
« on: October 04, 2016, 07:44:43 pm »

When I am in standard view, if I expand movies, then any of the genres, and then any year, I get a list showing all actors and then all of the actors. I would prefer if that expanded to show the movie titles for that year instead of all the actors, I just can't find where to change that.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Show titles in genre list
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 09:31:28 pm »

Right click on the category to customize the view.  Save it with a  new name.

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 10:04:14 pm »

Unless I'm missing something, I think I tried to customize the view. When I right click on the category, customize view is grey and not selectable.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 10:35:44 pm »

Maybe you're doing it on a client, not on the server.

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 10:49:47 pm »

It's the server. I can customize views on the purple groups above the genres, but not on any of genre categories.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 02:50:13 am »

The View you have to edit is the "Movies" View. Everything below that is just the Categories within the View. Those can be changed by editing the Movies View, not by right clicking on the Category and trying to change it there.

But you shouldn't really edit the standard "Movies" View, at least not until you have built a new View you like better. Then you can delete the original View, if you like. The original/standard View is a Locked View anyway, so you would have to unlock it, or force MC to overwrite it. You should create a new View based on the Movies View, and change that as you desire. The easiest way to do that is to left click on the Movies View, and drag it up to the "Video" heading, and release the mouse button. MC will then give you the option to copy the view, or Move it, or Cancel the action.

Once you have copied the View, Rename it to something that makes sense (right click, Rename). Then right click on it, select "Customize View..." to edit it. Unlock it (under Advanced in the middle section), change the "View As" on the left to "Categories" and you will see the structure you have been drilling down into. See the attached image for what that looks like.

Change the new View to your hearts content. Search the Wiki and Forum for information on how to create/edit/modify views.

But before you do all that, go into Theatre View and look at the Movies View. Go up to the menu at the top of the view, and change the selection to Genre. You will see a list of Genres on the left, and movie thumbnails on the right. Arrow down to a Genre, and click on a Genre group, or press OK on your remote control. Then you will see a display of thumbnails on all movies in that Genre, with movie names below the thumbnail. Is that what you really want to see? Maybe use Theatre View instead of Standard View then. You can also edit Theatre View Views separately under "Options>Theatre View" using the "Items to show" and "Details" sections. Again, search around for descriptions on how to use that feature.

Have fun experimenting!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

CHaun

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2016, 08:31:39 am »

Perfect! Thank you!! I was able to add "name" between year and actor and it is now exactly as I had hoped.

So far as editing locked views, I'm afraid that ship has sailed. I had already changed movies from categories to file list, which is probably why I had such a hard time finding the right place to edit. More surprising is that the genre lists even remained!

I think I am going to go through at least 3 phases of experience on this program:

1: Learn the software
2: Understand the software
3: Fix all the stuff I messed up in phase 1

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 09:24:23 am »

I think I am going to go through at least 3 phases of experience on this program:

1: Learn the software
2: Understand the software
3: Fix all the stuff I messed up in phase 1

All these years later I am in a time warp....repeating all your steps over and over and over..... :D
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”
Pages: [1]   Go Up