INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I must say ... i'm impressed!!  (Read 868 times)

soren

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
I must say ... i'm impressed!!
« on: July 29, 2003, 06:25:16 pm »

Been playing around with media server.
Although I have problems with running it on win2000 server I was able to run it on one of the clients for now.

Media server seem to wrap any format and copy it to the client machine using a custom protocol.

I have a 10 Mbit internet connection at home, so I can actually "stream" pretty much anything to my office and other locations :)

One issue though.
When "streaming" avi files (300 MB+) it takes a very long time since it copies everything(even on 100 MBit network).
Instead of streaming, I tried to create a playlist on the client, where I dragged my AVIs. Everything seem to work fine, however when I restart the client, the playlist that I created no longer exist, and MC crash when entering the playlist section.

What would be the proper way of keeping AVI/MPGs apart from the streaming library... can I have two libraries loaded on the client.. one media server library and one local where the movies are listed with unc paths for direct access.

/Sören

xen-uno

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Checking your hard disk for errors...
Re: I must say ... i'm impressed!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 09:10:55 pm »

Client side playlist saving isn't supported...must be done on the server side.

> What would be the proper way of keeping AVI/MPGs apart from the streaming library

Best way I can think of right now is to setup two libraries on the server side. One would contain all your media and the other would contain only those you wish to stream. Your idea should work, though. On the client, load up the UNC library then connect to MS (which would be running the streamable library). If I remember right, the MS library will append to the local UNC library (not permanently, of course).

10-27
Pages: [1]   Go Up