INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote feature requests :)  (Read 2498 times)

liquidsmoke

• Recent member
JRemote feature requests :)
« on: October 11, 2016, 02:50:57 pm »

Hi,
I have been using iOS JRemote for a few years and it's a brilliant app. Ive been using it to control my mac mini renderer which then outputs audio to a USB DAC and to my HiFi. It was working well, until I started looking into optical vs USB connections to the DAC after I upgraded to a Chord 2Qute DAC. Anyway, it turns out that the best most high quality sound is when I use my iPhone or iPad or iPod directly connected to my USB DAC. It's something to do with there being almost zero high frequency EMI with that method vs the mac mini. So it goes like:
iPhone > Camera Connection kit with USB and linear psu charger, plus apple ethernet adapter > 2Qute DAC USB input

Now the problem is I have become accustomed to a brilliant JRemote UI and being able to control the playlist and whats playing with volume control from anywhere in the house. Previously I was using JRemote to control the mac mini JRiver renderer. However now I have 2 problems when trying to use an iOS device as the renderer:

1. JRemote cannot for some reason control the volume of the music when connected directly to the USB DAC.
2. JRemote cannot control another JRemote.

The best outcome for me would be to enable a remote control of a JRemote instance; so JRemote becomes a DLNA/uPNP renderer? That would be really excellent.

I have been trying to find an existing solution for my configuration and the closest I've come to is PlugPlayer which is an iOS app. It professes to turn your iOS device into a DLNA/upnp renderer, which is does to some success however it's so horrendously bug ridden it's basically unusable other than for testing purposes. The iPhone version just crashes constantly, the renderer keeps disappearing from the network, loading playlists is a joke it just crashes if there are over like 10 tracks. It's really total rubbish. However it does seem to allow control of the directly connected DACs volume which is good.

So really I would like you to consider adding this feature. To be honest if the plugPlayer guy can implement it, then I suspect it will be a walk in the park for JRemote dev :)

Many thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote feature requests :)
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 04:19:07 pm »

I have been using iOS JRemote for a few years and it's a brilliant app. Ive been using it to control my mac mini renderer which then outputs audio to a USB DAC and to my HiFi.
[...]
Anyway, it turns out that the best most high quality sound is when I use my iPhone or iPad or iPod directly connected to my USB DAC. It's something to do with there being almost zero high frequency EMI with that method vs the mac mini.

Huh?  What "high frequency EMI" ?  If you hear a difference between your iphone and MC, both connected via USB to the same DAC, I suspect you have something else going on.

What exactly do you hear as a difference?  If they are both configured to send the same sampling rate with no extra processing, I would expect to hear minimal if any differences.

Brian.

liquidsmoke

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 04:41:20 am »

Hi Brian,
Are you a JRemote dev?

It's been well discussed in various forums and hifi magazines over the last couple of years. The effect of high frequency noise on DACs is measurable and very tangible. RF noise inter modulates with the analogue parts, creating noise floor modulation, which makes it sound harder and brighter. As such, excuse me if I sound blunt but it's probably best not have another thread here arguing about the ins and outs of USB noise transmitted through common ground. If you google for it then there is good info out there. For example this product is a heavy duty galvanic isolator and filter:
http://intona.eu/en/products

This is just a low pass filter:
http://www.audioquest.com/jitterbug/jitterbug

The problem is summed up well by Rob Watts who is an electrical engineer who has designed the latest high end Chord DACs (as well as the custom DAC chip they use):

"There are two problems that USB has against toslink - and one benefit. The benefit is that timing comes from Mojo - but with toslink the incoming data has to be re-timed via the digital phase lock loop (DPLL) and this is not quite as good - but you will only hear the difference via a careful AB test, so it's in practice insignificant.

The downside with USB is the common ground connection. This will mean RF noise will get into Mojo, making noise floor modulation worse. Now I go to very careful lengths to remove this problem by using lots of RF filtering, and double ground planes on the PCB, but even minute amounts of RF is significant. The other problem is down to the way that digital code works - which is in twos complement. So zero is in 24 bits binary is 0000_0000_0000_0000_0000_0000. If the signal goes slightly positive then we get just one bit changing to: 0000_0000_0000_0000_0000_0001. But if it goes 1 bit negative all the bits change to:  1111_1111_1111_1111_1111_1111. Now the problem with this is that when a bit changes, more power is needed, and this injects current into the ground of the PC - and the ground will get noisier. Unfortunately the noise is worst for small signals. Now the problem with this is that it then couples through to Mojo's ground plane, and the distorted signal currents will add or subtract to small signals - thus changing the small signal linearity. This in turn degrades the ability of the brain to re-create depth information, and so we hear it in terms of depth being flattened. What is really weird about depth perception is that there seems to be no limit to how accurate it needs to be, so the smallest error is significant.

So with toslink we do not get these problems as there is no common ground - so no RF noise, no distorted signals on the ground, and it will sound smoother with better depth against a noisy PC. But the problem can be almost eliminated by using a power efficient USB source that is battery powered - such as a mobile phone. But with noisy PC's the only way of solving it is to use galvanic isolation on the USB - but this draws power from the source, and we can't do that with mobile devices. All of Chord's desktop DAC's have galvanic isolation on the USB, and then you can't hear whether its a noisy PC or a mobile phone. In this case, USB sounds slightly better than optical, because we have the (tiny) timing benefits of USB.
I hope that explains - its a complex subject.
Rob"

I think my suggestion in the first post would be a really valuable feature of the JRemote software. Also it would allow a person to use an iPod touch for example as a very low noise, low power, cheap DLNA renderer with USB output to DAC. Not to mention perhaps easy to implement given the current feature set. Perhaps you could pass on to me the contact details of the lead JRemote dev so as I could have a discussion with him?

Cheers :)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 06:52:37 am »

I'm not a JRemote developer.  I'm just a JRiver user like you.

I asked about audibility because I hear lots and lots of discussion about things that make no difference in the audio chain.  Maybe there's something to what you are saying; maybe not.  That's why I asked.  But you don't want to discuss it and that's fine.  The President of the company doesn't like these discussions to be held in his forums either, so you're smarter than I am by not discussing it. :) :)

There's been a lot of discussion recently about working on JRemote for bug fixes, but there haven't been very many responses from the JRiver team.  I think they are busy with other projects at the moment.  I get the sense that JRemote will eventually get some attention, but it's not a high priority right now.  So, more features probably won't be implemented until *after* (potential) bug fixes, which probably will be a while.

Brian.

liquidsmoke

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 07:05:02 am »

Have a read if you're interested, but it will take up your whole day i guarantee :)

Hopefully a JRemote dev will come along soon as I think this would be a great feature, and low hanging fruit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up