INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recording folder weirdness  (Read 2164 times)

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
  • These are not the droids you're looking for.
Recording folder weirdness
« on: October 12, 2016, 11:54:17 am »

Hi,

MC 21.0.90 on Windows 10. Using a Hauppauge DualHD USB tuner.

I'm noticing some odd behavior when it comes to the folders where my recordings are being stored. I expected that MC would create a separate folder for each episode. Instead, I'm finding several episodes grouped together, where the folder name only includes the name of one episode.

For example, recording old episodes of "Walker, Texas Ranger" over-the-air, my "MC TV Recordings" folder has a subfolder "Walker, Texas Ranger - S1999E03", which appears to contain not only S1999E03 but ALSO files for S1999E04, S1999E05, and S1999E08. Likewise, there's a folder "... S1999E06" containing S1999E06, S1999E07, S1999E10, and S1999E11. And so on.

I'm recording in .jtv format, using a subscription to record all episodes found in the EPG (where title or series is "Walker, Texas Ranger"). Only applying a "media sub type: TV show" tag, all other settings at defaults.

Looking at the recording log, it appears all the grouped episodes were aired back-to-back on the same night, four-in-a-row. Is the default behavior to save consecutive shows all together in the same folder, and only "logically" separate them in the library?

Aimhere

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Recording folder weirdness
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 08:20:56 pm »

That is by design.  When recording in jtv format, we basically save the time-shifting session.  For consecutive shows on the same channel, recording is done using the same tuner.  So different recordings will share parts of the same time-shifting files.  That is why they are all in the same folder.  You can use "Rename, move, & copy files" tool to move the recordings to different folders if you really need to do it.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Recording folder weirdness
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 01:15:41 am »

The method Yaobing created for recording consecutive programs is the second most important reason I use the JTV format for recordings. The most important reason is that I can record a whole TV program from the start as long as it is in the Time Shift buffer, even if I don't decide to record it and press the button until some way through the program. I do this often when I start to watch something I may like, decide I want to watch it, but not right now, so I just hit record and MC saves it from the start. Neat.

As Yaobing said, it requires only one tuner to record multiple consecutive programs on the one channel, while still fully supporting padding at the beginning and end of each program. Other PVR solutions I have used either recorded the consecutive programs all in one big file, which I then had to hunt through to find the start of each program, or they ignored padding between programs, and almost arbitrarily picked a spot to end one recording file and start a new file, which meant the end of one program could be in the beginning of the next file, or visa versa. Neither solution was easy to use, and was annoying.

Note that the Rename, move, & copy files" tool can be a bit difficult when trying to move one recording out of a directory that contains two recordings, but it can be done. However MC will always retain the lowest subdirectory name in which the files reside when you move them, which means that subdirectory is created inside the new target directory. This can be annoying, but also can mostly be gotten around by using the Find & Replace function in the Rename, move, & copy files" tool. Most of the time...

Anyway, if you want to keep the recordings, using the  Quickly and easily converting JTV files to a TS file method (which I posted about in your other thread) to convert them to a single file gets around all those issues.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up