INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP Preset Help  (Read 1343 times)

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
DSP Preset Help
« on: October 12, 2016, 12:09:49 pm »

I did some searching and didn't find anything recent. Can someone explain how DSP presets work now? In the past they worked pretty weird and it seems like they still do. I am trying to use a general almost always on EQ but some tracks (like on live albums) really benefit from more specific EQ. So only a handful of tracks in my library have a DSP preset applied. When one of those tracks is played the EQ changes to the preset but stays after that track is done. I don't want to make a preset for all of my tracks because I like to be able to quickly turn off the EQ sometimes.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: DSP Preset Help
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 07:35:07 am »

As far as I know, the preset system still operates essentially the way you have described it:  If you put the name of a Preset in the the DSP field for a file, MC will load that preset and apply it.  MC will keep that preset applied until you manually make changes, or until it sees another file with a preset in the DSP field.

So, in practice, if you want to use per file DSP, you have to have a DSP value for all files.  The normal advice is to develop an every day DSP preset as a Base.  This would have all of your normal Output Format settings and anything else that you always want to use.  Then, when you are developing your per file DSP settings, you use the Base as the starting point.  Then do the parametric (or graphic) EQ how you want it, and save this as a per song preset.

Then, you apply the Base preset to ALL of your files, by setting the [DSP] field to Base for all of your files.  As you said, this means that you have to tag ALL of your files.  Next, you tag any of your files with individual DSP presets so that they sound different than the rest (or are corrected in a different way).

This is how it works right now.  I find it to be too cumbersome, so I don't use it.  Plus, per file DSP is kind of a rabbit hole in my opinion.  I don't want to be endlessly tweaking the EQ settings for various songs.  It's pretty cool, but I think I personally might waste a bunch of time messing with it. (thus the rabbit hole comment).

It's a usable system if you follow the process above; its just not for me.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up