INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Smaller problems with MC22  (Read 2399 times)

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
Smaller problems with MC22
« on: October 13, 2016, 07:52:33 am »

After installing version 22, I've kept getting an error message (which content I can't remember, and it's gone from my clipboard :-) , but anyway) which mostly hasn't had any impact, because JR would still open perfectly. But today, I was also told there was a serious error, and I was asked to check if i had access to my library, which I had. I was also told to do a reinstall. I ignored the message, and again JR opened without any further problems.
So now I wonder, should I do a reinstall anyway? And what does that imply? Deleting version 22 from my PC (Windows 10) and download again?
Also: under AppData/Roaming/JRiver, I noticed versions 17-21 are still there. These can all be safely deleted, right?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Smaller problems with MC22
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 06:35:21 pm »

It would probably be a good idea to clean up the old versions. The best way to do that would be to run the version you want to uninstall, say yes if it asks if it can change your system, as it needs to set some stuff to point back at itself, then close and uninstall that version. Start at version 17 and work your way up to 21.

Then reinstall MC22 just but running the latest installation executable. No need to uninstall it first.

The messages you are getting are probably to do with MC not closing correctly, or having trouble (it's taking too long) accessing your media. But it could be something else. So once you have uninstalled all other versions, and reinstalled MC22, see if they still appear. If so, post an image of the message here and we will see if there is a problem or not.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 09:43:44 am »

Thanks. Just one more question: how do I run the previous versions? Would that imply "Install" from the different folders?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 05:04:38 pm »

Ah, I may have read your post too quickly.

Have you previously uninstalled versions 17 - 21, and you see their directories only under AppData/Roaming/JRiver? If so, then my instructions are wrong. I assumed that you still had the older versions installed, and hence, it would be easy to run them, since you would still have their shortcuts in Windows.

If the above is the case, and you just have those orphaned directories, then the first thing you should do is check under "Options>File locations" in MC22 to be sure that none of the directories are pointed at one of the old installations. I find that often the "Cover Art" directory, for example, remains pointed at the previous version when I install a new major version. Sometimes the "Temporary files" directory also remains pointing at an old version.

If the "Cover Art" is pointing back at an old version you will want to copy that directory to the MC22 directory structure, and then change the setting in "Options>File locations". You can just change the "Temporary files" setting without copying anything.

Then you can delete the version 17 - 21 directories under AppData/Roaming/JRiver.

If you haven't uninstalled the previous version of MC, but no longer have the shortcuts to run them, should just be able to run "Media Center xx.exe" in each installation directory such as "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center xx" and then follow my previous procedure. You should still check the "File locations" settings first though. You should be able to uninstall through the Windows Control Panel.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

okvaal

• Galactic Citizen
  • Appreciate your life
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 03:58:15 am »

Thanks a lot. Yes, the file locations were all updated, so now I will start deleting. Thanks for being helpful! :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up