INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems I encountered when upgrading from 21 to 22  (Read 2819 times)

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Problems I encountered when upgrading from 21 to 22
« on: July 29, 2016, 03:47:38 am »

Just upgraded my home system from 21 to 22.
I run one copy as a server, one as a client on my HTPC and one on my laptop to connect to the server and run standalone when away from home.

I came across two hurdles when doing so, whose causes and solutions were not obvious, so I thought I would let you know what they were.

1) Upgrading the server - everything appeared to go smoothly but I could not connect any clients to the server. The issue was Windows Firewall was blocking access, as it had not been reconfigured for the new MC version.
My solution was to go into option>media network and disable "Use Media Network..." and re-enable it after which I was asked if I wanted Windows Firewall configured to allow access.
Would it be possible in future when transferring settings from one copy of MC to another which have the Media Server enabled to prompt the user to update Firewall setting?

2) My HTPC client is set to run the JRiver Media Server at Windows boot so that I can use my MCE remote to start Theater View when it's not running.
After I updated, when rebooting, I kept being prompted to allow MC to make changes to my system, this was MC21 trying to run its Media Server.
To clear this I had to run MC21 and allow it to make changes to my system then go into Options>Startup and under Windows Startup select "Nothing". Then run MC22 and allow it to make changes to my system again. After which things behaved as normal.
Would it be possible when upgrading to check for Run Media Server at startup and prompt to disable it on the old version?

Thx

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Problems I encountered when upgrading from 21 to 22
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 04:55:35 am »

Thanks for the report.  Both 1 and 2 should be working, but several people have reported similar problems.

Windows 10?

mx4789

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 07:28:36 pm »

>> Would it be possible when upgrading to check for Run Media Server at startup and prompt to disable it on the old version?

I upgraded from 21 to 22 last week and have had this exact same problem (windows 10).  It seems that 21 & 22 were/are competing for start up rights. I set 21 to "nothing" as mentioned in the above post. After sever iterations of allow app, run as admin, reboot, repeat. I think it's happy now.

Should I uninstall version 21? If so, what options should I choose (when uninstalling)?

PS: I've asked for this before, but could TPTB consider making the pull down menu(s) less translucent? It's impossible to read from a 10' perspective. Maybe a check box for desktop vs. theatre view resolution?  It's mildly annoying to have to get up, walk across the room, read a menu option, go back, click the mouse, etc. Wow, I just realized what a First World Problem that really sounds like. But alas... TIA.

Edit: I just got a new popup about Windows Firewall... Should I allow access on public networks?  If I use web gizmo or jremote what setting should I choose?

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 12:09:16 pm »

I upgraded from 21 to 22 last week and have had this exact same problem (windows 10).  It seems that 21 & 22 were/are competing for start up rights. I set 21 to "nothing" as mentioned in the above post. After sever iterations of allow app, run as admin, reboot, repeat. I think it's happy now.

Same here. Fought with MC22 startup etc like others in here. The issue is that we are really installing the new version in parallel and unless the v22 installer knows it's an upgrade and is smart enough to know another version of MC is already set to "startup" (and does something about it) this will go on and on forever.

You would think that the "upgrade" process would know to disable a prior version if it was found to be set (to startup) but its seems the MC setup is not quite there as it moves through it's phases. I have struggled with this throughout my last 3 or 4 upgrades.

Our "server" was Windows 7 Pro by the way.

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up