INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why is JRiver converting my files to mp3 when I rip the cd in flac  (Read 8642 times)

music first

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi, I am new to JRiver and want to rip all my CDs to FLAC  But the first one I ripped shows FLAC in JRiver but  when I turn on my Oppo player and play the files, it says MP3 and there is no album art.  Why is this? Can some help please?

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Why is JRiver converting my files to mp3 when I rip the cd in flac
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 10:51:54 pm »

go into tools>options>encoding

select at the top, encoding for CD ripping

make sure the FLAC encoder is selected

as to the image, go into tools>options>file location

in the cover art section, make sure the checkbox for Store Image in File Tag is checked ON

Trumpetguy

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 02:17:00 am »

I guess your files are in flac, but your networking options are set to real-time encode to mp3 when playing on a network player. Check network under options.

This only makes sense if your oppo is a network client. Not if it is a USB/hdmi/hardwired unit.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2016, 03:11:38 am »

Just so you know. When you push tracks to the Oppo via DNLA it does not display their album art. This is an Oppo problem not an MC one. However if you give the exact same tracks to the Oppo on a USB drive, then the Oppo does display the art.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 10:37:37 am »

Thanks very much for your replies the Oppo is connected to my network via wireless.  It is not hard wired.  I have downloaded tracks from HD tracks and put them on a thumb drive, and also put CDs on that thumb drive and the art does display.  I have attached a screen shot of my network settings in JRiver.  I have chosen "Do not convert audio".  The music is still playing on MP3 on my Oppo 105. I realize album art is not an option.  I don't have a super high end system, but I can definitely hear a difference between MP3 and say, Wav or Flac.  MP3 is not acceptable for music if I have a choice of listening lossless.  Frustrated with JRiver......Thanks again for your replies.

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 10:44:13 am »

You're close. Under Options | Media Network click "Add or configure DLNA servers" and make your changes there. You've configured MC when it operates as a "client" to another MC server.

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2016, 01:56:28 pm »

guys forgive me if I'm dense but what do I do from here?
Thanks.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2016, 02:09:52 pm »

If you want to send FLAC to your Oppo change Audio > Mode: "Specified output format only when necessary" to "Original"
Or if you want to send PCM to the Oppo change Audio> Format: "MP3 high bandwidth" to "PCM 24"

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2016, 03:19:16 pm »

Ok, this is what I see when I open the audio menu.  I am not finding Mode - specified output settings.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2016, 04:20:00 pm »

Go to "Media Network" not "Audio".
At Tools>Options>Media Network click on the fourth line down "...Add or Configure DNLA servers".

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2016, 08:28:43 pm »

Got it!!  Thanks to all!

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2016, 04:02:13 am »

Ok, this is what I see when I open the audio menu.  I am not finding Mode - specified output settings.

I was replying to your question "what do I do from here" which was referencing the picture you posted of the DLNA setup.

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 09:31:32 am »

thecrow- yes thank you very much for your detailed instructions.  I was able to change it and get JRiver to output to my oppo 105 in FLAC.

I find it curious that a media server would automatically take a lossless file and change it to mp3.  For me, the whole point of ripping a cd in wav or flac is to listen to it that way.  Having to dig deep in menus to change the output is kind of weird to me.....but at least I learned something.  Thanks again.

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 09:11:53 am »

Just so you know. When you push tracks to the Oppo via DNLA it does not display their album art. This is an Oppo problem not an MC one. However if you give the exact same tracks to the Oppo on a USB drive, then the Oppo does display the art.

Hi Andrew Just wanted to let you know that anything I download or rip in FLAC the album art will display on the Oppo when I play it.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 09:55:06 am »

thecrow- yes thank you very much for your detailed instructions.  I was able to change it and get JRiver to output to my oppo 105 in FLAC.

I find it curious that a media server would automatically take a lossless file and change it to mp3.  For me, the whole point of ripping a cd in wav or flac is to listen to it that way.  Having to dig deep in menus to change the output is kind of weird to me.....but at least I learned something.  Thanks again.

JRiver only does that in the DLNA/network streaming context by default.  The issue is that many commercially available DLNA renderers don't play FLAC.  DLNA renderers are only required (by the spec) to play a handful of formats (as I understand it) and mp3 is one of them.

So if JRiver had set the default to "same as original file format" there would be lots of DLNA renderers that would not work with JRiver at all with the default settings.  Ideally some kind of auto-configuration could be worked out, but for now the default output is the most "compatible" one (mp3) so that it "just works" for people out of the box.  Folks who want FLAC (and have the hardware to support it) need to flip the switch, but that's a better outcome than it just not working by default for lots of folks if you see what I mean.

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 10:17:40 am »

JRiver only does that in the DLNA/network streaming context by default.  The issue is that many commercially available DLNA renderers don't play FLAC.  DLNA renderers are only required (by the spec) to play a handful of formats (as I understand it) and mp3 is one of them.

So if JRiver had set the default to "same as original file format" there would be lots of DLNA renderers that would not work with JRiver at all with the default settings.  Ideally some kind of auto-configuration could be worked out, but for now the default output is the most "compatible" one (mp3) so that it "just works" for people out of the box.  Folks who want FLAC (and have the hardware to support it) need to flip the switch, but that's a better outcome than it just not working by default for lots of folks if you see what I mean.

mwillems - thank you for the explanation that makes perfect sense.  FLAC and Wav sound better on my system.  Problem is most of the CDs I ripped years ago are in WAV.  I was wondering if you or anyone else here might know of a solution to batch convert WAV to Flac easily?  Having album art to look at on my TV with all my music files would be pretty cool.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 10:45:45 am »

JRiver can convert WAV files to FLAC pretty easily.  You just have to select them and right click and pick "convert format."  Try a few and see if you're happy with the results.  Once you're comfortable with the conversion process and options, you can convert them all by just picking a file view that shows all your files, filtering it by WAV and selecting them all and converting. 

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 11:06:34 am »

JRiver can convert WAV files to FLAC pretty easily.  You just have to select them and right click and pick "convert format."  Try a few and see if you're happy with the results.  Once you're comfortable with the conversion process and options, you can convert them all by just picking a file view that shows all your files, filtering it by WAV and selecting them all and converting.

Thank you very much!  I might try a few today while watching football  :)  Have a great day.

music first

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2016, 03:44:32 pm »

Just noticed something, I don't use the Oppo phone app very much, but when I went into it today, I saw jriver media center!  So I can control my music even if my PC is asleep.  I also discovered that I can play music from my phone through my system (or anyone's phone).  Please forgive the ignorance, as I am new to this product, is this added functionality all due to jriver?
Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up