INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Format Conversion Fails  (Read 1802 times)

Bengi010

• World Citizen
Format Conversion Fails
« on: October 16, 2016, 12:49:49 am »

I am trying to get my library compatible with iTunes and need to convert a large number of FLAC and other file types to ALAC.  I have been struggling with this for days now because the file converter sometimes works but often fails for no discernible reason.  This evening it looked like it was working great when I went to bed but checking it a few hours later I see that after the first few thousand (out of about 15,000) successful conversions it began failing again.
  I have tried converting to all the different file formats to see if it was just ALAC but they all fail.  I have tried converting 1, 3 or 4 files at a time but that made no difference.  I restarted the program and I restarted the computer but that didn't help.  As of right now it is failing every time no matter what I do. 
  The files are on an hdd in an external drive enclosure connected with e-SATA, in case that makes any difference.  I saw one post that theorized the issue may be"due to multi thread contention on file accesses" and that "The issue may be exacerbated on slower HDDs (particularly USB HDD and NAS) where either the device or the OS may extend the duration of file locks (lock caching) for performance reasons." However since in did work successfully for quite a few (around 3000) conversions in a row this evening I don't think that's the issue. 

Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                          Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 1000w PSU, Lian-Li PC-B25F ATX Tower,
                                   Dell S2716DG G-Sync Monitor & AOC 2230 Monitor, Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Format Conversion Fails
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 08:44:16 am »

Do you want/need to sync with an iphone or something?  Just curious why you want to integrate with itunes, when MC is such a fantastic system.

If you really need this conversion done, you might consider a third party tool to do the conversions.  Or maybe there's another way to accomplish what you want to do with itunes.  Just some thoughts.

Brian.

Bengi010

• World Citizen
Re: Format Conversion Fails
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2016, 09:23:43 am »

Yes I want to sync music to my iPhone.  If JRiver could do that I would gladly delete iTunes from my computer entirely.  I'm not an apple fan.  However after a lot of disappointment with android and windows phones I gave up and acknowledged they make a superior phone.  I could probably find a 3rd party application to do the conversions.  I just want to know why it isn't working in JRiver.  You're right that MC is a fantastic program and I've been using it exclusively since version 15.  I just like to fix it when it's broken.
Intel Core i-5 6600K, Asus Z170-A ATX Motherboard, Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram, Asus Xonar Essence STX,
                                          Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 1000w PSU, Lian-Li PC-B25F ATX Tower,
                                   Dell S2716DG G-Sync Monitor & AOC 2230 Monitor, Corsair Hydro H60 Cooler,
                                                                    Windows 10, JRiver MC 23
Pages: [1]   Go Up