INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Re: Yaobing: TV Recording Trick Worked  (Read 750 times)

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Yaobing: TV Recording Trick Worked
« on: July 29, 2003, 03:52:17 am »

The crash was caused by an ATI bug. It was not an MC bug, that's why Jim asked you to open a separate thread instead of discussing it in the beta thread. :) There have been quite some discussion on this in the last few months. If you want to know more about it, do a search on the forum for AVBISurf.ax. Do you have the latest driver from ATI? If not, try downloading the latest. Catalyst 3.5 and 3.6 seem to have fixed this bug.

I am not sure about the upside down thumbnails. It probably has to do with color space format. To avoid dropping frames you need to create a new recording profile, and do a little experimentation with one or more of the following:

1. Reduce compression quality a little, from default 10 to 7 or lower. The actual quality change is hardly noticable.

2. Change color space format from UYVY to YUY2 or vice versa.

3. Lower recording resolution from 640 x 240 to 320 x 240.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Yaobing: TV Recording Trick Worked
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2003, 07:41:17 am »

In my earlier post I overlooked your other comment about playing "Original" aspect ratio of wide screen.

When playing avi files in MC you can choose an aspect ratio. The top of the list is "Source Aspect Ratio", that would have played your recording in 640 x 240 ratio, which is "wide".

640 x 240 is the default recording size because it represents the best compromise. 320 x 240 is too low a resolution, 640 x 480 requires too much CPU power and has other problems in many cases.

Jim should've smacked me with a "Search the archives for ATI and then open a new thread, if necessary, punk."

Actually neither Jim nor I would have recognized immediately what was causing your crashes to tell you to search the forum. But we know ATI cards work well with MC, and problems usually are configuration problems.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up