INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Podcasts on Client?  (Read 1598 times)

Justavian

• Recent member
Podcasts on Client?
« on: October 20, 2016, 12:12:34 pm »

I'm having trouble getting podcasts to work on my client machine, though they appear to be working fine on the server.

I've recently moved to a client server setup with my Media Center.  While i had used this feature a bit in the past, it was always a situation where i wanted my HTPC to access my main desktop's library.  Now, i have a dedicated server, which my main desktop, HTPC, etc are all connected to.

For the most part, everything has worked fine - music and movies are totally doing what i expect.

However, i now cannot play any podcasts from my client machine - and i'm not sure what i'm missing.  This is my main desktop - the machine that was previously in the role of server.

When i bring up Media Center, i can see the podcasts that have been added on the server.  However, they never actually load any episodes.  The server loads the episodes without any issues - i can remote into that machine and see them listed, and can play them without a problem.  But the client is empty.

When i click on a podcast on the client, i get the same controls up top (Play, Update Feed, Edit this Feed, etc), but the list below is empty.  Just below those buttons, there's a status message that just gets stuck on "Waiting to load: http://[whatever the podcast is].xml"  This is true of both my own subscriptions and the default podcasts as well - i haven't found any that will load now.

What am i missing?  Are the podcasts supposed to be loaded on the server and accessed via the client, or is the client supposed to do something independent?  I looked at the options for podcast, but i don't see any relevant settings there, nor did i find anything via search.  I read a lot of posts, but the only thing that was similar to this indicated that you just had to make sure that the server and client both had the podcast registered or something - but this doesn't seem to be the same problem.

Has anyone else seen this?  What other things should i be checking?

Thanks!

Justavian

• Recent member
Re: Podcasts on Client?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 01:41:22 pm »

I have found that the only way to listen to podcasts on a client is to have the server download them.  It was not clear to me that this was required, but it makes some sense now that i have that turned on.

It seems odd, though - shouldn't each client be able to just stream a podcast on its own?  Even if the server isn't going to stream it from the source and direct it to the client, it just seems like the client should be able to do its own thing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up