INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handheld Sync options  (Read 3142 times)

RD James

• Citizen of the Universe
Handheld Sync options
« on: October 21, 2016, 07:42:40 am »

I'm new to all the sync stuff in JRiver, but how do I set Volume Leveling to apply album leveling when syncing files to a handheld device?
It only seems to be using track leveling when syncing files.

I can't find an option to set bit-depth either. 16-bit files always sync as 16-bit even if I'm applying volume leveling to them.

RD James

Re: Volume Leveling Mode on Sync
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 02:38:15 am »

bump

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 08:36:31 am »

Unfortunately, I don't think DSP studio is applicable to syncing so it has the limitations you noted.  You might be able to do a "convert format" to a temporary location and then copy the tracks over but you would lose some of the syncing conveniences.
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 09:54:40 am »

Unfortunately, I don't think DSP studio is applicable to syncing so it has the limitations you noted.

Actually Syncing does have a DSP option.  It's not the normal DSP Studio dialog, but it functions very similarly.

Sync options > conversion > Apply DSP > (checked)
Sync options > conversion > DSP Settings > (set DSP options here)

Bit depth simulator is there, but I'm not sure if that's what RDJ wants or not.  I have no idea how to control volume leveling options, as it's just a check box; there are no user visible options that I'm aware of.  I believe it makes it's own decisions internally based on the playlist.

Brian.

RD James

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 11:17:53 am »

Bit depth simulator is there, but I'm not sure if that's what RDJ wants or not.
No, I'm not looking to simulate bit-depth.
When I convert a 16-bit file using Volume Leveling, the output should be a 24-bit file since it usually reduces the volume level quite a bit.

I have no idea how to control volume leveling options, as it's just a check box; there are no user visible options that I'm aware of.  I believe it makes it's own decisions internally based on the playlist.
It works very well during playback, but during export it seems to be locked into single-track mode which is not what I want. While you lose the smart selection that JRiver has during playback, I would prefer to sync with album-mode applied to the tracks.

RD James

Re: Handheld Sync options
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 05:26:52 am »

Another thing that would be nice would be native AAC encoding support.
When I set up an external encoder like QAAC, there are no tags in the converted files.

Bit-depth has to be set to 24-bit manually. "Automatic" bit-depth just matches the bit-depth of the source file when converting. It should be changing to 24-bit when applying a negative correction for volume leveling.

And manual conversion is still applying Volume Leveling on a per-track basis rather than applying album leveling. That's not limited to handheld sync.

So the process of getting tracks out of JRiver and onto my device is:
  • Manually convert tracks to 24-bit ALAC
  • Import ALAC files to iTunes
  • Convert from ALAC to 320K VBR AAC in iTunes
  • Delete the ALAC files
  • Sync those converted AAC tracks across
The iTunes AAC encoder is not multi-threaded and iTunes only tries to convert a single track at a time which makes this a very slow process.

Being able to encode the files directly to AAC with tags intact would save a lot of time.

vbphil

• World Citizen
Re: Handheld Sync options
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 08:34:59 am »

I've been trying to do a handheld sync to a USB stick for AAC encoding using the external encoder but it doesn't change the format. I've done this plenty of times with MP3 encoding and it works fine but when the external encoder is selected it doesn't. It behaves like it's converting but the file stays in the same format. I can use the same external encoder settings and do a manual change format from the library tools menu and that works fine. It's just in the handheld sync mode where the external encoder doesn't work.

any ideas?
Pages: [1]   Go Up