INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fullscreen video crashes  (Read 5290 times)

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
Fullscreen video crashes
« on: October 28, 2016, 06:51:58 pm »

When I play a video of any kind in full screen MC 21.0.90 crashes. It worked 2 days ago. There have been no significant updates. The update to .90 was installed on 23 Oct. Videos play fine in VLC or Windows Media Player. Also, if I  select the Player and let the video run in a window inside JRiver it works fine. If I then choose Display View it crashes. Before the crash the video freezes and the sound continues for 5 to 10 seconds. This is highly repeatable. I went through the process with logging turned on and have attached the log file.

If I send to (external) and choose Windows Media Player this works fine, too.

Mark

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Fullscreen video crashes
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 07:31:17 pm »

That's probably a video driver problem. 

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 07:34:54 pm »

Why would it be a video driver problem if in ALL other programs it works fine? It happens regardless of what video options I choose - madVR, Red October HQ, hardware acceleration on or off...

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 07:36:54 pm »

Why would it be a video driver problem if in ALL other programs it works fine?
One program may use the driver in a different way than another.  MC uses 3D graphics at certain times, for example.

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 08:18:08 pm »

I have rerun my tests with a bit more rigour. It works with Red October Standard but not with Red October HQ.

I still see it as a JRiver problem if it works with other apps.

Would upgrading to MC22 help? I have purchased a license I just haven't installed it yet.

And there was an AMD Radeon Settings uprade on 27 October. I could uninstall this but I am not sure of the wider impact. 

Mark

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 09:22:59 pm »

I rolled back my AMD Radeon drivers to the previous version. It didn't make any difference.

Mark

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 11:42:12 pm »

I was pretty sure I tested it with EVR before but now it works with Custom and EVR but any use of madVR causes the crashes.

Mark

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2016, 07:50:26 am »

For madVR problems, you could try the madVR thread on the doom9 forum.

If you're using madVR, try MC's Red October HQ without making any custom changes.  Read the Red October topic on our wiki if you still have trouble.  MC uses its own copy of madVR.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 10:52:30 am »

There is a problem with AMD and MadVR. I believe the fix is in the newest madVR version (but I don't think that version is used in MC21. You may need to manually download it to the JRiver MadVR folder to overwrite the older version. Go the Doom9 MadVR forum and read about it. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=146228 or search the MC forum for "AMD".

RayDiant

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 04:28:15 pm »

I installed the new madVR 0.90.24. It didn't work. I Found a forum that suggested enabling Direct3D 11 for presentation under madVR rendering general settings. This worked. I am not sure of the impact but doing a rigorous test of video quality (I asked my wife which one she thought was better) between madVR and EVR and she picked madVR without knowing which was which "That one is way better".

Thanks for your help.

If anyone can explain what enabling Direct3D 11 does that would be great.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up