INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: TV Functionality Enhancements In MC22  (Read 4639 times)

greynolds

• Citizen of the Universe
TV Functionality Enhancements In MC22
« on: October 29, 2016, 05:09:26 pm »

I upgraded to MC22 last weekend and it's nice to see a few new things compared to the last release of MC21, such as the to be recorded list looking further out in the guide data than it used to.

There are a few things I'd like to suggest:

1) In the Television Recording Rules in standard view, default to sorting by the rule name instead of the ID.  Also, allow more columns, such as the recording duration to be added to that view.

2) Add a new rule option to the existing drop down for the duration with options for less than, equal, or greater than.  I can think of 2 use cases for this.  First, is to distinguish between a TV series and a movie (Teen Wolf is a series on MTV and also a movie starring Michael J Fox); allowing the user to specify to only look for guide entries with a duration of 60 minutes or less would be an easy way to make sure you only get the TV series and not the movie, specifying a duration of greater than 60 minutes would make sure you only get the movie.  The other is to avoid recording things like hockey game replays.  I'm not sure if other teams do this, but the Boston Bruins have 2 hour replays of their games that usually air a few times after the initial game and are not flagged as repeats in the guide data.  The original airings are always scheduled as a 2:30 duration, while the replays are always scheduled as a 2:00 duration.  So if I could add a rule to insist on greater than 2 hours, that would remove the replays from my upcoming recordings list.

3) When the user cancels a recording, remove it from the list.  If you insist on keeping it in the list, please make the same change you made to exclude other shows from showing up that are within the padding time of the recording.  I setup hockey games to record 90 minutes extra in case the game goes into overtime and to at least partially cover long playoff games that can have full extra periods, which used to result in the shows within that extra 90 minutes showing up in the upcoming recordings list.  That was fixed, but now if you cancel one of the recordings, those extra shows now show up as canceled recordings too along with the hockey game itself that is marked as cancelled.

Hopefully all of these are relatively simple to accomplish and are seen as useful suggestions.  Keep up the great work!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: TV Functionality Enhancements In MC22
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 06:28:57 pm »

That all sounds good, as long as in number 3), when a recording is cancelled it must still show up in MC.

I sometimes watch something that is being recorded, usually Time Shifted, and when the actual program finishes I might cancel the rest of it, which is padding. But if it is an Episode of a Series I don't want to lose the recording, just reduce the size of it.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

greynolds

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 07:19:28 pm »

That all sounds good, as long as in number 3), when a recording is cancelled it must still show up in MC.

I sometimes watch something that is being recorded, usually Time Shifted, and when the actual program finishes I might cancel the rest of it, which is padding. But if it is an Episode of a Series I don't want to lose the recording, just reduce the size of it.
There's a difference between cancelling an upcoming recording versus a recording that's currently in progress.  In the former case, I would prefer for the entry to be removed from the upcoming list to reduce clutter, in the second case, the recording should stop, but the file should definitely remain and the show should remain in the list of recorded shows.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 08:15:00 pm »

Ah yes, I see what you mean.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

greynolds

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 08:27:09 pm »

Actually, if the recording is in progress, the "cancel recording" option should probably be replaced with a "stop recording" option, to make it more clear that you want to keep it, but end the recording at that point.

greynolds

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 07:32:59 pm »

@yaobing, if there's any chance some or all of these can be added in the near future, it would really be appreciated.  At least for me #2 is the highest priority, followed by #3 and then #1.

If #2 were implemented, it would reduce the annoyance of #3 because the recordings I currently have to manually cancel would never be in the to be recorded list to begin with; hence I wouldn't see #3 happen very often.

#1 is purely a nice to have.

Happy Holidays / Merry Christmas to all!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 08:14:29 am »

1) and 2) are done now.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

greynolds

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 09:52:46 am »

1) and 2) are done now.
Thanks!  Should these be in 22.0.55 or in the next release?  I just updated to 22.0.55 and don't see mention of either of these features in the release notes and don't see the functionality in the app itself.  For #1, another column that would be useful is the rerun/repeat flag.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 10:23:59 am »

It will be in the next build.

greynolds

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 10:31:13 am »

It will be in the next build.
Cool, I can be patient for a few more days or so. :)

I'm expecting that the new Duration rule will clean up my To Be Recorded list to the point where I need to do very little manual editing to cancel superfluous recordings.

Your TV functionality has come a LONG way in the last year or so.  I really appreciate all the effort you've put into making improvements and incorporating many of our suggestions.  If I didn't need to worry about Copy Once support (for 1 stupid channel to record "The Americans"), I could probably completely retire Windows Media Center at this point, which would also allow me to retire my 1 remaining Windows 7 PC.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 01:07:50 pm »

To be in an upcoming new build (58 or higher):

Fixed: When recording of a television program that was part of a subscription was canceled, the shows before and/or after it could be erroneously marked as "Canceled recording" if the subscription had large pre- and/or post-padding.

greynolds

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2017, 01:08:52 pm »

To be in an upcoming new build (58 or higher):

Fixed: When recording of a television program that was part of a subscription was canceled, the shows before and/or after it could be erroneously marked as "Canceled recording" if the subscription had large pre- and/or post-padding.
Nice!  Thanks!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2017, 06:52:30 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up