INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running newest MAC version -- having set up problems  (Read 2241 times)

dafdesign

Running newest MAC version -- having set up problems
« on: November 01, 2016, 07:11:57 am »

I'm not real computer savvy, but am switching from PC version to latest MAC JRiver (on MACBook Pro, running OS 10 El Capitan) and when I go to drives and devices to connect my external hard drive, there is no option to do so.

On the PC version I used, there was an option to "Search Connected Drives." How do I connect my external drive? The only option it shows is for handheld device.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Running newest MAC version -- having set up problems
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 07:45:58 am »

Can you see your external drive from Finder?  That's the file manager of the Mac.  If so, just import your files the normal way:

Tools > Import > Import a singe folder
OR
Tools > Import > configure auto import

That first option does a one time import of any folder you want.  That folder might be an entire drive's worth of files.

The second option sets up a persistent import.  You tell it which folder to watch, and MC will import any new files you put there.  Including what's already there.

Good luck.

Brian.

dafdesign

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 07:28:15 am »

Does import just tie to the drive or does it actually load all the files onto the MAC? Is there an option to just link to the drive and not import everything onto the computer? I have a lot of music on the external — am pretty sure it won’t all fit on my computer hard drive.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 08:04:18 am »

So that word, IMPORT, is confusing.  I sometimes forget that it has other meanings on other systems (like itunes).

In MC, the term IMPORT just means "point to file".  Import NEVER copies any files.  It just "links to them" as you said.  So your external files stay external.  MC just knows where they are, shows them in it's library displays, and can play them.

Importing is what you want to do.  It's safe and won't copy any files.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up