INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can't restore a library backup from a thumb drive  (Read 2736 times)

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
can't restore a library backup from a thumb drive
« on: November 01, 2016, 05:37:27 pm »

I tried out the 10/28 update.  I can now see the media folder on the Id from a Win 10 PC.  I can now navigate downward from the shared NAS folder that I mounted on the Id down to my actual base folder for my music files on the NAS.

However, before I tried to import the music files, I wanted to restore library info (fields and views) from a library backup made from MC on a windows PC. I mounted the USB thumb drive and rebooted.  Then in the restore dialog, I navigated to the device name for the thumb drive and double clicked on that name.  The dialog exited immediately.  I had no opportunity to navigate down to the folder that contains the library backup file.

This is very similar to what I saw when I tried to navigate down to my base folder for music files before the 10/28 update.

The thumb drive is a 32 GB Cruzer Glide formatted as FAT32.

Maybe my next problem will be that the library backup from Windows MC is not compatible with the Id.  I have a number of user library fields and lots of customized views so that will be a huge effort to re-create.  I'll probably just give up on the Id.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: can't restore a library backup from a thumb drive
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 05:50:20 pm »

I tried out the 10/28 update.  I can now see the media folder on the Id from a Win 10 PC.  I can now navigate downward from the shared NAS folder that I mounted on the Id down to my actual base folder for my music files on the NAS.

However, before I tried to import the music files, I wanted to restore library info (fields and views) from a library backup made from MC on a windows PC. I mounted the USB thumb drive and rebooted.  Then in the restore dialog, I navigated to the device name for the thumb drive and double clicked on that name.  The dialog exited immediately.  I had no opportunity to navigate down to the folder that contains the library backup file.

This is very similar to what I saw when I tried to navigate down to my base folder for music files before the 10/28 update.

The thumb drive is a 32 GB Cruzer Glide formatted as FAT32.

Maybe my next problem will be that the library backup from Windows MC is not compatible with the Id.  I have a number of user library fields and lots of customized views so that will be a huge effort to re-create.  I'll probably just give up on the Id.

I know this might seem like a dumb question, but since you can see your NAS directories on the Id, did you try just putting the MC backup in one of the NAS directories instead of using a thumb drive? 

What version of MC are you using on Windows?  The library format changed in MC22, and I think the Id is still technically on MC20.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 05:51:10 pm »

Bill,
Maybe you've described what you're trying to do, but I haven't seen it.  The Id is primarily a Renderer.  In that case, your PC would be a Server and you would probably use Gizmo or JRemote (or even Tremote) to control playback.  The views you have on the server would be usable.

It sounds like you're trying to use the Id as both server and renderer.  It can do that, but you've got to set up the server instead of just using the one you have.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 07:53:33 pm »

I know this might seem like a dumb question, but since you can see your NAS directories on the Id, did you try just putting the MC backup in one of the NAS directories instead of using a thumb drive? 

What version of MC are you using on Windows?  The library format changed in MC22, and I think the Id is still technically on MC20.

Maybe I'm expecting too much.  The Id has commands to mount external devices.  When use those command and then try to access a file from the restore library dialog, I can't get that functionality to work.

Yes, I can try putting the library backup on the NAS. 

At this point, I am exploring the functionality of the Id to decide how to proceed.  How much of the Id functionality do I have a right to expect to work?

MC 21 on the Windows PC.

Bill,
Maybe you've described what you're trying to do, but I haven't seen it.  The Id is primarily a Renderer.  In that case, your PC would be a Server and you would probably use Gizmo or JRemote (or even Tremote) to control playback.  The views you have on the server would be usable.

It sounds like you're trying to use the Id as both server and renderer.  It can do that, but you've got to set up the server instead of just using the one you have.

Before I answer this email, I'll point out that I sent you anfd Matt an email about my need to use WebRemote (which displays fields in a single column) rather than Gizmo which displays fields in multiple columns.  Gizmo cuts off field names so that I can't differentiate between names. Cover art isn't much use. It is either missing or all the same for most of the classical music CDs I ripped.

Now to your current post.  No, I am not trying to use the Id as a renderer and a server at the same time.  However, I wanted to understand how I could use it as either.

Nothing I read in the Wiki describing the Id (as a potential purchase) or on the Id forum warned me that I should only expect to use it as a renderer.  If that is JRiver's position, you should be forthright about it.

As I said above, I have tried to explore the Id's functionality.  Before I bought the Id, I set up a laptop as a DLNA renderer so that I understood how that functionality worked with JRiver.

After I bought the Id, I set it up using my wired Lan and got that to work.  With more difficulty, I got it to work on on my WiFi network.  I set it up as a renderer and tried designating various audio devices as the outputs.  At that point, the

I then tried copying a music file from my windows 10 PC to the Id.  I found that the Id's shared folders were almost never visible on that PC.  I could see the Id's folders from a Windows 7 PC.  There's a clue.

I also tried mounting a couple of shared folders on my NAS on the Id.  In the series of questions the Id offers before mounting a folder, there is one that asks where the folder is on a windows PC.  Well, the NAS is Linux based, so I answered N(o).  One of the two folder was mounted successfully.  When I went through the process with the other folder, the mount process failed.  I tried various things and found that if I answered Y(es), the folder could be mounted.  However, when I tried to import music files from the NAS folder, I found that the import dialog did not display anything in the mounted folder.  I could not get down to the folder that I actually wanted to import.

After the 10/28 Id update, I was able to see the Id's media folder from my Windows 10 PC and I was able to navigate downward through the NAS folders in the import dialog on the Id.

I'm now working through the problem of accessing a file or folder on a USB storage device.

Once I think I understand how the Id can be used, I can make a final decision on how to use it.  Those uses involve using the Id as a renderer only, using the Id with a local library and music files on the NAS, using the Id as a client to access MC running as a server on Windows PC with the TRemote functionality.  maybe there are a few more possibilities.

I have tried to make careful use of the Id material in the WiKi and of the material on the Id forum.  Not much help.  I also tried to use my experience from using JRiver on Windows PC.  However, differences between using MC on the Id and using MC on Windows were completely undocumented.  I also used my experience from 3+ decades of writing software.

I have written at length to show you that I approached using the Id in a careful, thorough way.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 09:09:19 pm »

You have a right to expect everything to work.  We'll do our best not to disappoint you.

It also works as a server or as a stand-alone player (which is how I use it).  But that requires more to set up.
Pages: [1]   Go Up