INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 22.0.32, handheld sync problem when using Disc # etc  (Read 1371 times)

mstansfield

MC 22.0.32, handheld sync problem when using Disc # etc
« on: November 03, 2016, 08:23:41 am »

I started trialing MC a few days ago after running out of patience with WMP! So far it's been a fantastic experience, and there's no going back :-)

However I've run into a small problem with syncing to a handheld that I think is a bug or omission within MC:

-- BACKGROUND --

1. I have some tracks with non-blank MC library fields of 'Total Tracks', 'Disc #', 'Total Discs'. These have either been entered by myself or are populated by MC during file import when it encounters the relevant ID3 'TRCK' or 'TPOS' file tag in the form 'x/N' (as per most of my Amazon mp3 purchases). All understood, and working well.

2. I've set up my Galaxy S6 handheld sync options to include a specific playlist. However the problem also occurs if the handheld options don't include a playlist, but I drag-and-drop the playlist onto the handheld's transfer icon/window/area.

3. When sync transfers such a track then ID3 'TPOS' will be the original '2/3'.

4. When sync converts such a track, then 'TPOS' is set to the value of 'Disc #', '2' in this example. As a side-issue I humbly suggest MC could re-create 'TPOS' of '2/3' if it noticed that 'Total Discs' was non-blank, but the omission of 'Total Discs' isn't causing any problems. Likewise the handling of ID3 'TRCK' where 'Total Tracks' was't blank could be done, but isn't causing an issue.

5. After the sync all looks well, and MC shows all tracks as 'On Device'. By design, I think, the 'Total Tracks', 'Disc #' and 'Total Discs' columns are now displaying data from the source fields, not what has actually been transferred.

6. My handheld's internal music player is happy, and correctly groups tracks according to the album number found within ID3 'TPOS', be it in the original 'x/Y' or converted 'x' notation.

-- PROBLEM --

5. If I now click MC's 'Recheck Sync', or disconnect and re-connect the handheld, then when MC is scanning the handheld it doesn't extract 'Total Tracks', 'Disc #', or 'Total Discs' for any of the tracks detected on the device, regardless of whether 'TRCK' or 'TPOS' are in 'x' or 'x/Y' format.

6. Any track within the sync playlist (or dragged and dropped playlist) that has a 'Disc #' field that is non-blank and set to something other than '1' is then re-queued for transfer to the device, and the track already on the device is marked for deletion.

Although after performing the sync I end up with what I want on the handheld, it does mean that an awfully large number of files are needlessly converted and uploaded to the handheld during *every* sync of the playlist.

Yes, I know I could just to manual selection and transfers, but syncing with a playlist and converting to a specific format during the sync is the main feature that attracted me to MC in the first place.

Any thoughts? Thanks, Mike.
Pages: [1]   Go Up