INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to autodisplay subtitles when dialog switches to another language  (Read 4435 times)

Snookboy

• Recent member

What I am referring to is when you have an English language movie and it contains a scene in another language.  Most common example is probably WWII movies.  English language and then you cut to the German sub.  English subtitles auto display while they are speaking German.  Specific example would be Outlander Season II first episode.  They begin speaking in French.  If you play the disc on a player, it displays English subtitles while they speak French.  Play it thru JR, no.  You can turn on subtitles and it will display in English what they are saying in French, but of course it then keeps displaying what they are saying in English, which of course you don't need or want.

Looked for something on this and didn't find anything.  Is there any way to display these forced subtitles and not have to keep turning subtitles on/off every time they speak another language? 

Thanks. 

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to autodisplay subtitles when dialog switches to another language
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 05:36:27 pm »

If you are playing a DVD from within MC you should be able to use the DVD menu to turn on Forced Subtitles, just as you would in a player.

If you have ripped the DVD to hard disk, you need to have an sidecar subtitle (i.e. srt) file that only contains Forced Subtitles, or a Subtitle file in a format that supports language tags on the subtitles. I think the SSA / ASS format supports language tags. Not sure, as I tend to use simple srt files. Depending on how you ripped the DVD, which tools you used, you could be able to rip the required subtitle file at the same time. You just need to find the content that is Forced English Subtitles, and not the English Subtitles, or save in a format that supports language tags. I believe MakeMKV has this capability, although there may be some issues.

There are also web sites around that can supply subtitles files, and some of them include only Forced Subtitles. Google is your friend. The srt file needs to match your version of the movie / TV Show though, or the subtitles will get out of sync. You will find lots of discussion on providing subtitles for ripped programs on the web.

Did you read the Subtitles Wiki article?
The forum has lots of discussion on using Subtitles with MC. Search is also your friend.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

rec head

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2016, 09:39:13 am »

You are looking for the forced subtitle track.

If you ripped a bluray as MKV then:
right click while the movie is playing.

Go to subtitles and keep choosing different subtitle tracks until you find the right one.

It is a pain but MC will remember your choice so you don't have to choose each time.

I think there is a setting for forced subtitles only but I can't find it and didn't see it in that wiki link.

Snookboy

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 02:49:08 pm »

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.  As mentioned, I did search here for information; didn't really find anything.  Did find the wiki article, but clearly that adds little insight into the issue and resolving it.

Didn't bother going to Google U. as that seemed a bit broad and was looking for how to best address it in JRiver. 

Of course checking all the subtitles is an obvious step that was done and should have mentioned.

All of my movies are either DVD rips or ISO files of complete BR discs.  I've never found any of the available subtitles to be the forced subtitles. 

Oddly enough, began watching latest season of Game of Thrones recently and with no subtitles selected, forced subtitles we in play. 

Sounds like not much I can do.

Thanks for the assistance.

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 03:19:49 pm »

PowerDVD displays forced subtitles in BR ISO rips. JRiver does not. I spent a bit of time trying to find a solution until I realized that I actually prefer watching all movies with subtitles on now. That may not be your choice - yet. But wait a few years...

Snookboy

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 08:55:38 am »

:)

I'm getting there!
Pages: [1]   Go Up