INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lost standard pane view  (Read 4659 times)

tom9920

• Recent member
Lost standard pane view
« on: November 05, 2016, 11:54:31 am »

I created several audio pane views, which display fields in columns, with the selection in a column to the left updating what is displayed in the columns to the right.  I accidentally changed some setting, and now all pane views display as a list of tracks grouped by album.  How can I restore the expected behavior?  Thanks.  --Tom

221bBS

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Lost standard pane view
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2016, 02:16:33 pm »

Right click on the header and click Edit..., Pick the library field it was before.

tom9920

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 02:38:46 pm »

1.  I don't think that's it because it was a global change...even a new view with "view as panes" selected is affected.  Before the change, each column would have at the top "All [count]" and now there is no grouping.
2.  If it is it, I am not sure what attribute is considered the "header".  I have tried right clicking in various places and various choices appear but none say "edit".

Thanks in advance for the additional help.

221bBS

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 03:35:00 pm »

I don't think that's it because it was a global change...even a new view with "view as panes" selected is affected.

Not really sure what you did to do this.

If it is it, I am not sure what attribute is considered the "header".  I have tried right clicking in various places and various choices appear but none say "edit".

Take a look at the Header pic attached to this post. You'll see me right click the header of the pane Album Artist (List) and the menu that pops up.

The Edit pic attached to this post show you the window that pops up after clicking Edit...

now there is no grouping

Take a look at the Header pic, you'll see the left most pane is grouped A, B, C..., you can do this in the Edit... window. Check the box Grouping (i.e. A-C, D-F, etc.) and have 1 in the Grouping Size. Also shown in the Edit pic.

Common Pane view setup:
Pane 1: Album Artist (auto), Checked Grouping (i.e. A-C, D-F, etc.), Grouping Size=1
Pane 2: Album Artist (auto)
Pane 3: Year - Album

tom9920

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 05:01:18 pm »

Yeah, I'm not sure what I did either.  It's very odd :-\

I've attached my own screenshot.  I create a pane view as per your screenshot, but what appears in the pane doesn't match expectations.  It's as though there is a pre-set column list that is over-riding the normal pane display.

221bBS

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2016, 05:10:04 pm »

Looks like you've collapsed the panes window. Click the upside down triangle to restore the panes. Look at my attached pic, red circle.

tom9920

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2016, 06:16:14 pm »

I was able to fix it by putting my cursor on the thick black border and dragging downward after the cursor changed shape.  Thanks for your help!

I didn't see a triangle, either in the application or in your screenshot.  Interestingly, if I drag the border back up, it stops short of making the pane view disappear again.  I am guessing that there is some kind of combo key shortcut that when accidentally invoked caused the issue in the first place.  Could that be?

One of the things I noticed when trying to resolve the issue is that many of the links that describe panes and lists are broken.  The documentation is therefore either non-existent or not easy to find.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2016, 06:39:52 pm »

Please report any broken links.  Thanks.

tom9920

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2016, 09:46:11 pm »

I'm posting this to try to be helpful by sharing my search experience.

I tried to find the broken links previously encountered.  I did find lots of additional random information, including an explanation of "red links" which may have been what I remembered as broken links.  It would be good to have an explanation of "red links" on any page. 

It turned out that at one point in my previous search I was actually on the right page:  one on divider bars.  It says at the end of one paragraph and above a large photo (below which text resumes):  "When available, the horizontal bar divides the Categories and Panes on top, and the File Listing below."  The "Categories and Panes" was my issue, and when I clicked on that red link, I left the page to nowhere helpful.  In the end, my issue was that the horizontal bar had hidden a section and in the process disappeared.  But based on the documentation and the red link, I assumed that in the view I was researching, it wasn't available, as opposed to assuming that it was potentially available and continuing to read below the link and photo on how to restore it.

I also reminded myself of some of these issues:
1.  There is a link to a user manual on the left hand navigation of the wiki, but if you click on it, it says "deprecated" at the top.  Why not remove this link?
2.  Using the "search" feature also returns many other "deprecated" pages.  I'd suggest you filter these out of search results.  It means it takes longer to find relevant info.
3.  Here's a more specific example:  Since I thought I might have inadvertently used a hot-key combination, I found the page "documenting" this functionality.  It says "this content is out-dated currently, and may no longer be fully accurate".  I tried one hotkey that seemed relevant, but when nothing happened I had no way of knowing whether that was because the hotkey no longer worked or because it wasn't relevant to my issue.
4.  The search feature doesn't seem that robust.  As I was trying to re-create my search, I did click on a link that led me back to the article on "divider bars".  When I tested finding the article by searching, "divide bar" didn't find it but "divider bar" did.  Search apparently works only on exact words.
5.  And search apparently doesn't work on all words.  I tried to find the explanation of red links a second time by searching on "red links" but retrieved nothing useful.

My overall impression from this and previous experiences is that there are many helpful and well-written articles, but the difficulty in finding them or using them as a learning experience is frustrating.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 10:47:50 pm »

I didn't see a triangle, either in the application or in your screenshot.

You should be able to see the triangles. If not either the skin you are using doesn't differentiate them enough, or your monitor/TV colour isn't the best, or like me your eyes aren't the best.  ;D

The little triangles are called Disclosure Triangles, in case you ever wanted to know, according to Glynor who wrote both that Wiki article and the Dividier Bars Wiki article, a mere 8 years apart!

It would be nice if the Wiki search was a bit more powerful. For example, if it could exclude something from a search by adding a NOT or "-" in front of a word or quoted phrase. i.e.
"Record -deprecated" or "'Media Center' -deprecated"

Alas, all us long time users know that the Wiki could use a lot of work to bring it "up to date", fill in gaps, and just plain correct errors. But it is mostly user generated, so it doesn't get a lot of love.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2016, 05:44:25 am »

Thanks for the specifics.  I think that "deprecated" may have been over-used.  It doesn't mean that there is no useful information. 

A Google search on JRiver and your topic may produce better results.

A forum search is also often worthwhile.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 06:33:05 am »

I didn't see a triangle, either in the application or in your screenshot.

Just to add to what Roderick said:

1.  Double clicking on the drag bar emulates clicking the triangles.  So this might be what you were doing.  Or maybe not.
2.  If you can't see the triangles, you might try a skin that has higher contrast for the triangles.  At least once you see them you'll know what to look for.  Of the stock skins, try Green Eyes or Blue Steel.  Both have pretty obvious triangles.

Personally, for third party skins, I really like Black and Blue Too, but it's a very dark skin, which may not suit you.

Brian.

tom9920

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 08:38:10 am »

Hi all,

Regarding the ability to see the disclosure triangles, I was using the Noir skin with a Microsoft Surface.  They were definitely easy to see with the other suggested skins, and when I reverted to Noir and knew where to look, they were faintly visible.  Of course, their existence will now never be forgotten :-)

I did try a google search--which of course will always retrieve the so-called deprecated content.  I was happy to see when I was trying to repeat my search experience that google retrieved this thread!  I'm what I would call semi-technical, and my understanding is that it is relatively easy to include google search within a website or wiki. 

I can appreciate the work that goes into a user-maintained wiki.  Thanks for all you do. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up