INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there LFE on a Music-Only Bluray?  (Read 2679 times)

jjkale

• Junior Woodchuck
Is there LFE on a Music-Only Bluray?
« on: November 08, 2016, 03:49:07 pm »

Does anyone know what the industry standard is for mixing a Music-Only bluray?  Is the .1 channel mixed the same as a movie .1 channel?
I am asking in reference to bass management on 5/7.1.  Again, music only.
I would like to try some different routing through JRiver and the question of whether to add/subtract the 10db on the .1 channel is relevant.
Thanks very much.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is there LFE on a Music-Only Bluray?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 03:52:55 pm »

I have no idea.  But I'm going to guess YES.

Otherwise, you'd have to have two different calibrations for your multi-channel system:  One for movies and one for music.

Brian.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 04:15:53 pm »

I have Saint-Saens Symphony No. 3 "Organ" which is a audio-only Blu-ray. It doesn't have any content on the .1 channel. However, I wouldn't use just this sample as the standard.

I have a lot of Blu-ray concerts (audio and video) and the way the bass is mixed varies from disc to disc. Some have the upright bass in the mains with bass drum in the .1 channel. Others put just the bass guitar in the .1 channel. If you use an 80 Hz crossover with all bass routed to subs, then all content will be reproduced in your room the same.

jjkale

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 11:01:03 pm »

Thanks dudes.
So, if I wanted to mix my bass management back in to my mains, is there a consensus on whether I need to add or subtract gain? 
I am passing this through a miniDSP as well.
Emphasis on music only, movies will not pass through this system.
Thanks for the help.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 02:19:39 pm »

You can set your Output Format > Channels to 2.0 and turn JRSS on and it will downmix with the proper gain.

If you are downmixing the LFE channel yourself and have Output Format set to 5.1 or 7.1, just use Tools > Advanced Tools > Audio Calibration and set the Mode to Volume Calibration. Then see if the Subwoofer (channel 4) is playing at the same level as one of the mains channels. If you did your mixing correctly, the subwoofer calibration track will be output to both mains. The SPL of it played through both mains should be the same as the SPL of just one of the main's calibration tracks.

jjkale

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 12:48:44 pm »

Thanks very much Mojave
Pages: [1]   Go Up