INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why with a different PC, same DAC, different volume from JRiver MC21 ?  (Read 1452 times)

jhnmeer

I use JRiver MC21 on a Windows PC with a Chord 2Qute DAC and a Synology DS216j NAS, The 2Qute delivers its analogue signal to a Naim NAC 202 peamplifier etc. Everything works fine and the sound quality is very good. However, I noticed when I change the PC that I use for streaming, for another one, the analogue signal from my 2Qute is very different (playing WAV files). The one PC is an Intel Atom N510 system with Windows XP 32bit, the other a Core i5 system with Windows 7 Prof. 64bit, both running JRiver MC21 and use the same device specific ASIO driver provided by Chord Electronics. All settings of MC21 on both PCs are similar: both are playing from memory instead of disk, no transcoding, prebuffering 6 sec, disabled volume control in JRiver. Further, JRiver indicated that with both systems, the audio path is direct. That there is a difference in sound level does not bother me as such as both systems sound fine, but with the higher sound level from the Intel Atom N510 system with Windows XP 32bit, it is difficult to control the sound level (at the analogue stage) with the NAC 202 preamplifier because with this system the output from my 2Qute DAC is quite high. Therefore, I prefer the lower output with the Core i5 system with Windows 7 Prof. 64bit. As this is a laptop that I cannot destinate  for music server because I need it for other purposes, I was thinking of buying another system with similar specifications as the Core i5 system but I want to be sure that I also get a lower output from such a system. Any help / suggestions for this issue is welcome as well as suggestions why there is a difference in sound level from the two different PCs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up