INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blank screen from Id with HDMI  (Read 3830 times)

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
Blank screen from Id with HDMI
« on: November 11, 2016, 06:04:05 pm »

When I turn on a new Id, I see "Intel NUC" for a few seconds and then what appears to be a weak, flickering image of lines of code moving vertically on the screen and then the screen goes black. I have waited several minutes, power cycled the unit both with its switch (waiting until it is completely off plus 10 seconds before turning it on) and with its power cord. Nothing brings up the the text Menu, except as a momentary flicker every few minutes. But it won't stabilize. I know the monitor is good as I just hooked up a Blu-ray player to test it. Also, I think the Id is transmitting the black screen or else I would get the monitor error "No Signal. Check Cable." It is acting as if it doesn't have enough voltage to send the HDMI image with stability. I will try another HDMI cable, but I doubt that is the problem since the "Intel NUC" and Blu-ray images were perfect.

It also doesn't show up in Playing Now in JRiver, although it is plugged into the network with a good CAT6 patch cord. I am installing at a client's home so if anyone out there has an answer for me now, it would be very much appreciated.  ?

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
Re: BLANK BLACK SCREEN FROM HDMI ON ID
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 06:24:29 pm »

I just tried a new cable, but have the same problem.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Blank screen from Id with HDMI
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 06:41:32 pm »

Try connecting it to a monitor with HDMI to see what happens.

HDMI handshaking with TV's can always be a problem. 

You can use Panel to configure some of what you need on the Id and to reboot it.  From another device on the LAN, run a browser and enter http:[the Id's IP address]:52199.  When you see Panel click on the gear icon at the bottom.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 06:48:27 pm »

You can use Panel to set the Id into text mode or GUI mode.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 07:36:05 pm »

Thanks for the prompt response Jim. I will try it. I was just on the phone with Comcast 40 minutes trying to get a new wired (non wi-fi) modem activated (another of my jobs for this client today). It is defective and I had to put the old Gateway (with wi-fi) back in for now, which causes interference with the AirPort Extreme. Even after Comcast turns off the wi-fi radios, they will come back on again at random and especially after power outages.

I have been connected with HDMI at the ID and DVI at the monitor end. And I tried 2 different cables. This same monitor worked fine with my Id and works fine with a Blu-ray (here today) and shows "Intel NUC" steadily.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 07:55:44 pm »

My IP scanner (Advanced IP Scanner) is malfunctioning, especially after an update and the client wants me to move on to other things on his to-do list. Please recommend another IP scanning app that you like. I will have to return another day to finish this.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2016, 01:30:45 am »

I came home and connected the monitor to my Id and didn't see the text menu. So this monitor has gone bad since I installed my Id many months ago. I will be returning to my client tomorrow and will pick up a new monitor at Best Buy on my way there. In order to get an HDMI input, I have to go to at least a 21.5" screen. I would rather stick with something smaller and lighter. I can get DVI with a number of 19" -19.5" screens. Is there any reason to avoid DVI when dealing with the Id? The video is identical to HDMI and I don't care about the audio when doing setup.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2016, 07:41:04 am »

I'm only guessing that the adapter from HDMI to DVI is the source of the problem.  Try an Internet search.  I searched for
hdmi to dvi adapter with Intel NUC problems
and found some information.

I don't know any IP scanning tools.  The Id will display its IP address.  You could also get it from the router.

tuneup

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 11:51:29 am »

Thanks Jim. I found this: "After trying a few more DVI monitors I finally succeeded to circumvent the problem with my HDMI Monitor at work."

I didn't look any further. While I don't use adapters, but rather HDMI to DVI cables, and have had no trouble with them hooking up current HDMI sources such as Blu-rays to older TVs, it is clear they don't work with the NUC and/or that DVI monitors don't work with it. I just got a text from the client that he is ill again, so next week I will drag my 27" desktop HDMI monitor over there. I will keep you posted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up