INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing Output Settings  (Read 2631 times)

DJLegba

• Citizen of the Universe
Changing Output Settings
« on: November 15, 2016, 09:38:26 am »

There are some serious problems with this feature. I wanted to see if the long-standing bug affecting mp3 conversions still exists, and I was able to confirm that it does. If you play a track that doesn't fade out or end in silence you'll notice that the mp3 conversions all end too soon. It's very noticeable some of the time.

But the huge problem with the Listening test is that it can change output settings that it should not. My e22 DAC can play DSD up to 256 and PCM up to 352,800, so in DSP studio I have Sample Rate set to "No change" for all rates. When the Listening test attempts to play the mp3 32 or 96 files MC tells me playback is not possible, and asks if it can change my output settings. For the sake of the test I said yes. When the test finished I checked the output settings and found that it had change EVERY sample rate other than 44.1 and 48 to 48. Obviously not required or desired.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Changing Output Settings
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 09:59:40 am »

There are some serious problems with this feature. I wanted to see if the long-standing bug affecting mp3 conversions still exists, and I was able to confirm that it does. If you play a track that doesn't fade out or end in silence you'll notice that the mp3 conversions all end too soon. It's very noticeable some of the time.

But the huge problem with the Listening test is that it can change output settings that it should not. My e22 DAC can play DSD up to 256 and PCM up to 352,800, so in DSP studio I have Sample Rate set to "No change" for all rates. When the Listening test attempts to play the mp3 32 or 96 files MC tells me playback is not possible, and asks if it can change my output settings. For the sake of the test I said yes. When the test finished I checked the output settings and found that it had change EVERY sample rate other than 44.1 and 48 to 48. Obviously not required or desired.
I think the playback problems are related to the DAC or its settings.

The MP3 conversion problem hasn't been reported by others, as far as I know.  You could start a thread or bump one if you already have.

DJLegba

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 11:31:37 am »

I think the playback problems are related to the DAC or its settings.

I'm not worried about the playback problems. The point is, the Listening test should not reconfigure all those sample rate conversions.

The MP3 conversion problem hasn't been reported by others, as far as I know.  You could start a thread or bump one if you already have.

I've reported it twice, with no response. Here's a link to the most recent report:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107121.msg744003.html#msg744003

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 11:51:18 am »

Thats what saying "Yes" to the prompt is supposed to do. It may be slightly drastic to change all the modes, but it ensures you can play everything - which is the primary goal it goes after, figure out one mode that works and use it.
Its not a special prompt from the listening test, it would always do that when you play a file that doesn't work with your device/settings.

If you are particular about your setup, you can easily fix this by setting the "lower then 441000 Hz" resample option to resample to 44100 Hz (considering the e22 doesn't do anything below 44.1k anyway) and avoid having playback fail, and thus the prompt show up.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

DJLegba

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 12:07:11 pm »

Thats what saying "Yes" to the prompt is supposed to do. It may be slightly drastic to change all the modes, but it ensures you can play everything - which is the primary goal it goes after, figure out one mode that works and use it.
Its not a special prompt from the listening test, it would always do that when you play a file that doesn't work with your device/settings.

If you are particular about your setup, you can easily fix this by setting the "lower then 441000 Hz" resample option to resample to 44100 Hz (considering the e22 doesn't do anything below 44.1k anyway) and avoid having playback fail, and thus the prompt show up.

I only used the listening test to confirm that mp3 conversions still truncate files. In over two years with the e22 I've never tried to play anything below 44.1, and I never will in any other situation. But when MC prompts me to let it change the output sample rate for a particular input rate, it should definitely not change any other output rates. That might be something available as an option. At the very least MC should warn me that it will change the output for ALL sample rates.
Pages: [1]   Go Up