INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam Big Picture Mode and Focus when launching JRiver theater view.  (Read 4774 times)

tsanguine

• Recent member

My computer is set to startup in Steam Big Picture Mode. I've added JRiver Media Center as a non Steam Game so I can open it and use a controller to operate it and watch movies stored on my computer. Opening up JRiver Media Center works perfectly though after one or two seconds it loses focus and goes back to Big Picture Mode. JRiver Media Center is still running and I can Alt-Tab to it. If I Alt-Tab the custom controller configuration is not active and I can't use the controller. Is there a way to keep the focus on JRiver Media Center until I exit the application?

I've added a non steam game of MC22.exe in the System32 folder using Set Launch Options, "/mode Theater," to start JRiver in it's Theater view. The same result happens without using custom launch options.

I believe this is an issue with Steam but as they are less than helpful I figured I'd ask here. This is certainly a better community.

severalboxes248

• Recent member
Re: Steam Big Picture Mode and Focus when launching JRiver theater view.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 02:27:22 pm »

My experience with using JRiver Theater View and Steam Big Picture is that they just don't play well together. Using shortcuts to go back and forth would usually end with them fighting for control over the screen. Not a knock against either program, both are great.

I realize it's not what you asked, but I found it was easier to just close one then open the other.

tsanguine

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 04:10:21 pm »

This also happens if I delete "/mode Theater," and go straight into JRiver standard view.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 04:37:54 pm »

You might consider doing the opposite and using JRiver to launch Steam. Here is how to do it. The command line argument was changed by Steam to -tenfoot instead of -bigpicture. Steam should have focus until you exit and go back to Theater View. You may also need to check "Hide Media Center while program is running." I haven't used it in a while and don't have Steam on the computer I'm using right now so I can't test.

tsanguine

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 05:55:34 pm »

Thanks. I thought that may be a possible work around. I may use that but would still prefer the other way.

You would think that would be more difficult in some ways. Use JRiver to open Steam to open games. I was hoping to use the controller configuration options within Steam now that they support PS4 controllers in Big Picture mode.

I have a feeling that for any better solution we would need a developer looking into what the actual cause is.

I did disable Steam overlay and had the same problem so I can't blame that.

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 01:32:18 pm »

Even though I rarely game, I do launch Steam from the Theater View of JRiver and that works fine.

The idea though of being able to use a controller for JRiver is appealing to me though. I tend to control JRiver with my iPhone but using an Xbox1 controller could be sweet.

There is a place within JRiver to specify use of gaming controllers but from what I can tell it does nothing whatsoever. Last I heard people check it and then use a Joy2Key program which means that they are just using the built in keyboard control actually.

-Brian

xpto

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 02:59:16 pm »

Brian,

I use a standard XBOX One controller together with the very useful program Controller Companion: http://store.steampowered.com/app/367670/

No special setup is required at JRiver.

Regards,
xpto

tsanguine

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 11:28:30 am »

Anyone else have any ideas as to why this happens that I can investigate or attempt to find a solution? Any log that for JRiver or Steam to see what is happening?
Pages: [1]   Go Up