INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC Master License 22 on Qnap  (Read 3608 times)

wakka992

• Recent member
MC Master License 22 on Qnap
« on: November 20, 2016, 05:43:13 am »

Hi there,

I was about to buy a master license to use with both my Windows 10 PC and Linux Qnap, but I noticed that the last avayable release for qnap is from MC21.

If I buy a Master License MC22 will I be able to activate MC21 on the Qnap MC21 and MC22 on windows?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC Master License 22 on Qnap
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 07:24:51 am »

If I buy a Master License MC22 will I be able to activate MC21 on the Qnap MC21 and MC22 on windows?
No.  Sorry.  QNAP support may have ended.  We're waiting for them to reply.

Robad

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 02:44:07 pm »

Hmmm.  Not quite sure what that reply meant...

I am currently doing pretty much that.  I run MC22 on my PC and MC21 on a QNAP.  The PC sees the QNAP as a file server; I don't connect to the QNAP MC from the PC. 
Admittedly, the QNAP version is still within the trial period and I only have a license for the PC version.  (Aside:  Why is it so much more expensive to buy a single target license and upgrade to a "Master" than it is to buy the Master??) 
Are you saying I won't be able to use MC on the QNAP once the trial period expires?

Rob

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 04:44:46 pm »

Bear in mind that if the MC application doesn't return to Qnap, you may still have a workable option. It just depends on whether your Qnap can run a VM - so hardware question such as Qnap model, installed firmware and the installed memory will play a part.

If you have a Windows MC licence only, you might be able to install a Windows Virtual Machine on your Qnap and then load MC onto the VM. The other option is to set up a Linux VM. I've done this and it was not too difficult to do. What I haven't done is the next step of installing MC onto the Linux VM but it would just be a case of following the advice you can find here on Interact.

I've not done the latter step because I've got the packaged MC21 app running on the Qnap and don't have a reason to change.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Robad

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 08:15:31 am »

No answer to either question:

- Why is it so much more expensive to buy a single target license and upgrade to a "Master" than it is to buy the Master??
- Are you saying I won't be able to use MC on the QNAP once the trial period expires?

I don't see why JR can't continue to provide QNAP-compatible versions of MC via this forum.  It doesn't need to be on the QNAP site.
But if that isn't going to be the case I can see no reason why I should upgrade to a Master license, for something unsupported.

NH

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 05:09:44 am »

No.  Sorry.  QNAP support may have ended.  We're waiting for them to reply.
Dear JimH

I am a new member but do follow your posts regularly.

I checked with QNAP for MC22 and was told that MC21 is also no longer available in HDstation. And to check on the forum for updates.

If we do have a qpkg for MC22 and if it can be posted here will be great.

I have an MC21 version on my qnap and a MC22 on my PC which is connected to the Hi-Fi amp and speakers. Wanted to use the instance on the qnap as the primary library server hence having the save version on both is useful.

Best

NH

Pages: [1]   Go Up